iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree bark ID please

Started by Larry, January 16, 2009, 04:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

From a distance I thought black cherry but when close I think persimmon or something else...not sure.  All kinds of hickory and oak leaves on the ground but can't identify anything else.  Twigs are too high for me to get to.  Tree is maybe 15" dbh.  Whata you guys think?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Lanier_Lurker

Looks a lot like persimmon.  15 inches is pretty big for persimmon, though.

Does not look quite like sourwood, but similar.  However, I doubt sourwood ranges into your area.

SwampDonkey

Probably an oak,doesn't persimmon have dark bark.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lanier_Lurker

It is quite possibly a blackgum.

Larry

SwampDonkey, I don't think it is an oak...were in an oak/hickory forest and I've only seen a few trees with this bark.

I too was thinking it might be a little on the big side for persimmon.  As far as gum goes the only one I can recognize is sweet gum.  I wouldn't know black gum if it fell on my head.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Lanier_Lurker

Dodgy or WDH will be along later.  That bark is distinctive enough that they will know it right away.

SwampDonkey

All I can say Larry is it's perplexing to a fella that don't live down there to start with because any tree species I pick could have totally different bark in your location.  :D ;D

Even my black cherry bark is different than yours on older trees.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I was thinking cottonwood.  Black gum was my second thought.  Trees of the same specie look so much different from one area to another.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Stephen_Wiley

Not familiar with that part of the country.

Like Ron.......my first thought was Cottonwood;

second was 'Oregon White Oak' the bark in these tree(s) varies and I have seen some looking like Persimmon, however I do not know if you have any growing out there.

Older Black Gum I would not rule out. 
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

WDH

I would bet Swamp Donkey's new foot locker and Metalspinner's gorgeous maple slabs that it is Nyssa slyvatica, good old upland blackgum, just like the observant Lanier Lurker points out. 

That bark is exactly typical for old, upland, blackgum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

Indeed, those maple slabs are something to behold.  Big enough for a dining room table.

Glad to know I was on target with this one.  I learned a thing or two from you when I was down there, WDH!

WDH

Yep, we saw a couple like that on my place.  LL, you are becoming quite the dendrologist!  ;D.   BTW, the shumard oaks you gave me still have mostly green leaves.  Right after this arctic chill we are under will be the perfect time to plant them.

I have one to post (a bark pic) that is a real doozy.  The photo is on my other computer, so I will post it later.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thompsontimber

yup, I'm going with blackgum as well...but go ahead and slip on the gaves and scale on up there and get us a twig.  Or chop her down, snag a twig and see if she's hollow yet  ;D

Gary_C

Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2009, 11:19:47 PM

I have one to post (a bark pic) that is a real doozy.  The photo is on my other computer, so I will post it later.   

Is that our first clue, it's a doozy?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LeeB

Is black gum good for any thing? I have quite a few of them here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

We cut them into ties and pallet stock.  The lumber goes a little wild when you start to dry it.  I went to a carving show one time and they were selling black tupelo at a high price.  Same specie. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Judging by the bark picture in the dendro text I would say black gum (black tupelo) is a good candidate.  :)

WDH

Quote from: Gary_C on January 17, 2009, 12:41:30 AM
Quote from: WDH on January 16, 2009, 11:19:47 PM

Is that our first clue, it's a doozy?

No Gary.  I will wait till I post, but now I expect you to guess.  You should know what it is :).

Blackgum has spiral grain, so it can be unstable.  The stump wood of water tupelo, a relative of blackgum, is prized for carving duck decoys.  Around here, blackgum is only used for palletwood.

Larry

I was thinking about taking the tree out to release a couple of small red oaks.  WDH identifies the tree as a black gum...look it up in my tree book where it says birds, especially pileated woodpeckers like the fruit.  We have a family of pileated woodpeckers that we enjoy watching...so the decision was made to leave the black gum...especially since I don't need pallets.

I suppose you could say "WDH and Forestry Forum saves Woody Woodpeckers family from starvation". ;D

Thanks WDH.

thompsontimber

That spiral grain makes them a bit tough to bust too.  Definetely a good wildlife tree and not much on timber value.

ARKANSAWYER

Not gum!
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

There is a hollow white spruce, still alive, along the road near the woodlot. Every time I have gone up in the last 2 weeks I see a new wood pecker cavity on the base of the tree. The tree has been rotten in the centre for a looong time.

WDH

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on January 17, 2009, 01:45:38 PM

Not gum!

OK Larry, we have a doubter.  We need a twig if possible.  If you split the twig, the pith should be diaphrammed, that is, there are little septums or dividers in the pith.  In between the little dividing lines, there is normal solid pith.  I still bet Swamp Donkey's foot locker and Metalspinner's maple slabs on it.  OK, Arkansawyer, what are you gonna bet ;D :D?

Larry, you are doing a wonderful thing for the pileated woodpeckers.  Next thing you know, an Ivorybill will show up and you will be famous ;D.

chevytaHOE5674

Look a like black gum to me. Good choice on leaving it for the birds.

Lanier_Lurker

Speaking of woodpeckers, I was hopeful that I had spotted a red cockaded woodpecker on my suet block a few weeks ago.  But, I have since decided it was a hairy woodpecker.  I have seen pileated woodpeckers scooting up and down trees off in the distance, but they won't come to the suet block.  I also have some red bellied woodpeckers showing interest in the suet block, but have not seen one on it yet.

I have habitat in this area that may be suitable for the red cockaded woodpecker.  The band of property around Lake Lanier has been growing wild and largely "unmanaged" for over 50 years, and there are loblolly and shortleaf pines in all stages of their life cycle.  There are a number of standing dead and dying pines that may be large enough to support these threatened woodpeckers.

Thank You Sponsors!