iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Some of those "cats & dogs" are making it up my way too.  A total washout for today and tomorrow AM.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I priced wire mats for concrete and they are higher.  I am told it is trade stuff/tarrifs.  have to deal with it.  at least we are taking on china and not kicking the "can" further down the road... I guess aluminum is higher too.   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

fishfighter

This post will be labeled " The good, the bad and the ugly."

First, the good. ;D I now have water. Heck, I had even fired up the water heater and have HOT water. 8)

The bad, first world problems. :( People showed up to install the meter. Got to talking to them. Found out that I would be charged a base fee for water per month which I had no problem with which was $10. BUT, they also said I would be charged another $18 a month for garbage pick up fee per month. That was even I told them that the house is not finished. :( And on top of that, the house would fall under yearly taxes. >:(

So, I told them do not hook up the meter. In turn, I had hooked up to my main line to my house at this time. ;D

Now the ugly. >:( I had a leak. >:(

Dead center. :o When I installed the water system, I had pressure tested it and all was good. That nail is from when I installed the bathroom vanity.

Now another good. ;D For some reason in the back of my mine I kept telling myself do not finish out the closet in the front bedroom. Well, this is twice of saving me not finishing it out. ;D

Anyway, was a easy fix.

Got rain coming for the next few days. Yep, the rainy season is here.

Magicman

I have everything on the same meters at the Cabin because of the same reasons that you had.  Same electric meter and same water meter.  It cost more to do it but cheaper in the long run.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, we are thinking of moving into the little house and then remodel or our house. After that we might rent the big house out. Just don't know yet due to the fact of were to put everything. Saturday marked 40 years of being married. :D

Yesterday the weather was nice. So I got out there and pressure washed the house. That sucker had come cob webs. ;D Going to hit it a second time just for the heck of it today.

Will wait a few days to dry out and go back for a second corking, then painting time. 8) Now that will depend on the weather here. Good thing about living in the south, one can see all 4 seasons in one week at this time of the year here. :D

Oh, still don't know what color I'm going to paint it.

Magicman

Yup, work between nasty's but at least we ain't glaciated.  :D

Back to the water meter, it was the additional garbage pickup and sewer charges that forced me to put everything on one meter.  :-X

texansfan

Whatever happened to this project?

fishfighter

Still working on it. Been recorking the complete outside and hoping to get that painted soon.

Overall, things are moving real slow. Still having some health problems that is kicking my butt. >:( Got my weekly blood work to do and the doctors appointment for the ticker. For some reason, fluid has been a big problem the last few weeks. Got to the point that I can't lay down no longer then about 4 hours. Not much can be done about that other then what I am doing now. :(

Yesterday, I took the time to hook up the crapper and gave it my blessing. ;D

Got some real cold weather coming next Tuesday and Wednesday. Going to find out how good PEX is first hand.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on November 08, 2019, 10:18:52 AMGot some real cold weather coming next Tuesday and Wednesday.

What, 50°? ;)  Been gettin' down to 40° overnight here with 80° during the day.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

Talking in the 20's for a couple days. Poor suckers up north will be in the teens and lower. :o Big artic front pushing all the way to the Gulf Of Mexico. :o There is a chance of sleet too!

fishfighter

Did have a 12+ hour freeze here. Have to say that the PEX held good even though none of the lines under the house are insulated at this time. ;D I did run the heater thru the night inside. Had it set at 50F.

fishfighter

Got to super nice days coming tomorrow. Got paint and looking to start spraying. Got to start early due to the million+ lady bugs that swarm once the temp get above 60F. Dam things are coming out the sugarcane fields by the billions. >:(

Sedgehammer

Quote from: fishfighter on April 11, 2016, 10:03:41 AM
Had one heck of a set back this weekend. >:( Was under the camp with my son doing a little plumbing work and before I knew it, I passed out. :o Not once, but twice. Scared my son big time along with me. He help me out and before getting to the house, I passed out again. The wife rush me to the ER.

Come to find out that I came down with a bad case of vertigo. Still kicking my butt this morning. >:( Never had this before and taking meds for it, but still having my house spinning out of control. >:(

Anybody ever deal with this?

On a side note. Thank God it didn't hit me a 1/2 hour before when I was up on the roof. ;D
Been reading the thread here since early this mornin and came across this.... First of all have to hand it to ya for persevering. If one has a dream, then it helps thru all the health crap one has to deal with. Now to your virtigo... I know exactly what you are dealing with. Almost 4 years ago I was climbing up into  cab over semi. As I was grabbing the steering wheel with my left hand to pull myself up and in I pulled a tendon in my left arm by my elbow. The sharp pain caused me to release the steering wheel, which caused me to fall backwards and out onto the blacktop below. Bounced my lower left back and my head off of the pavement. To this day i have severe back pain. Taking 3 different pain meds for it. My head is still messed up. Can't drive. Bright lights or shiny things make me unbalanced. It's even hard to watch tv at times. If it's a fast moving scene have to look away. If I turn my head too fast, even causes it. I used to make breakfast for the family on weekends, that's even a hard pull now. the bending and turning will cause the same thing. A couple of weeks ago me and a guy i hire to help me with stuff was installing the 2" pvc pipe from the well head to the pond and we had to bend the pipe slightly. So was heating it with a propane torch. It was getting towards evening and one could see the blue flame. With me moving it around to heat the pipe, that movement passed me out. Fun, fun, fun. Oh, to add to the fun I had a heart attack a year ago..... Anyways, didn't mean to derail the thread, but reading what you are dealing with thought I'd add my 2 cents. Keep up the good work!!
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

pure vertigo and especially with head movement, can be the inner ear, the semi circular canals.  they are in three planes, and have tiny nerve cells like tiny hairs lining a tube filled with fluid.  when you rotate, the inertia of the fluid, makes a force on the nerve cells.  your brain uses this to tell if you are rotating in space, like a gyro.  as we get older we can develop crystals in the fluid.  If they get stirred up (from lets say crawling under a house), it is like a boulder ramming into the fine hair cells that normally send a message to the brain, from just the fluid.  so the nerve (sensor) give a signal off the chart, and your brain perceives it as rotation.  there is a maneuver and ENT can do, to get the crystal out of the canal.  the other concern, is that it can be a tiny stroke. so follow up with your Dr.  This is where the phrase, "it is hell getting older" came from.  not sure who came up with the golden years.  must of been a youngen!   :) smiley_old_guy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

Been through all that and it's not the issue. I've had more tests than I can count. 6 MRI's i think. No stroke. They have a term for it. Vestibular something (forgot the full term). They said my impact damaged something that can't be fixed. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

fishfighter

Got some paint sprayed before the bugs came out. 8)

Still have two more sides that I will get done tomorrow morning. Then some trim work painting. But, I have to say, spraying is the only way to go. ;D Takes more time to cover what you don't want sprayed then to spray. ;D

fishfighter

Rapped up the painting today. Will try to get the trim done next week. Rain coming tomorrow. :(

Magicman

I am glad that you were able to get-r-done between "weathers".  Lookin' good my Friend.  8)

fishfighter

Thanks Lynn. Hope all is well with you and Miss Pat.

Magicman

As well as I can be recovering from this total knee replacement.  Pat is a good caregiver.   smiley_love

fishfighter

Good to hear that. Got a buddy that just went thru a second replacement.

Myself, I been under the DanG weather again. Been having trouble with fluid build up for no reason. >:( That 10 lbs I put on is a lot for me which is all fluid. Doubling Lasix hasn't helped much. :o

EOTE

Hey y'all,
I've been mainly posting in the "Whatcha sawing" thread but have been lately searching for a thread where I can share my coming experiences in building my future retirement home.

The back story is that I retired a couple of years ago (typical forced corporate retirement) so my wife and I bought a 30 acre piece of  wooded earth out in east Texas with the intent of building our retirement home and enjoy life there.  Only about a quarter of an acre was actually clear so we built a steel barn as our center of operations and mapped out where we wanted to build our future home.  We saw that we needed to clear a lot of trees including a fire break around the home site and barn.

Long story short, my wife and I cleared about 2 to 3 acres of land and ended up with a BIG pile of logs.  After checking what I could get for the logs, my wife and I came up with the bright idea to buy a sawmill and cut all of the lumber for our new home, starting with those logs!  We figured we could cut up that stack of logs and harvest some of the bigger trees from the rest of the land.

So as we plunged headlong into this adventure, we learned that there were lots of other things we needed to think about like drying, stacking, and storing the lumber we cut.  We needed a place for the sawmill and we needed a way to process all of the lumber once we cut it.  

So here we are over a year later, having cut down about a hundred trees and turned them into over 50K board feet of lumber, plus a drying house, storage house, and sawmill house, all of which we built by hand ourselves.  I am now preparing to do the actual site prep for the house (it's not post and beam, it is stick frame construction, traditional gambrel roof farm house) and am hoping to find a thread like this one where people are showing the progress on their builds, their lessons learned, and challenges faced.

So, after this long winded post, is this thread a good home for this or would you recommend a different one?  I don't want to start a new thread if it would be redundant.  Your feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

btulloh

Sounds like you've got an interesting build and process going on there @EOTE .  I think it deserves its own thread so we can follow along over the course of time.  It will be interesting to see how you proceed with the sawing and building.

This thread is specifically about @fishfighter building his fishing camp which he's been working on for some time and getting close to the finish line.  He's provided a very interesting and detailed account of the whole journey and we've all enjoyed it.  I expect yours will be interesting too, and it deserves it's own thread.  Sounds like we need some pictures of what you've been doing already!  Good luck with your sawing and your build.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
HM126

doc henderson

@EOTE we will look forward to seeing you plans and problems you encounter as you move along.  there are some great builders here too so you can get opinions on how to proceed if you encounter a fork in the road.  I agree, come up with you own title and "let er rip" so we can follow along.

Magicman

I absolutely would start a new topic detailing your building adventure.  My project did not qualify as "timber frame" either so I put it in the Woodworking Board.  Cabin Addition in General Woodworking  Maybe it would have been better suited in the General Board, but anyway it went where it went and had many followers.  (I too am a product of "forced retirement" but I was too young (51) to actually get a retirement :-X )

It will be interesting to follow your progress.

Thank You Sponsors!