iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total of our experience-Sawmilling

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2008, 10:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbox

I used 50 but it may closer to 60 I can rember working the green end when I was to small to lift a 2 X 8 X8  . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ncsawyer

Quote from: Tim on August 08, 2015, 08:17:11 AM
5,045 years answered so far.

I wonder how many Bandaids that took...

And that 5,045 does not even include all the years of experience gained after all you guys answered the question.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Bolivian Bluerose

I had about a month of experience when I lived in Montana then I move to Bolivia. One of the local wood shops here had a 1979 Wood-Mizer LT40ish(didn't have any identifying labels left on it). I got a job working there because I knew what the mill was. I have learned a lot about the mill in the last 3 years and recently it was traded in for a newer model (1998 Super Hydraulic). So between the month in Montana and here it rounded up to 5 years.

CarpenterPaul

Hey, guys! This message may not suit the topic, but I'm considering to buy some new equipment for sawmilling. I have some questions about it like if anyone here has any experience of using it and how good it is.
I've read the info on advertising here and I'm aware that my account can be banned if I give any advertising-like info without a permission. I utterly respect the administration of the site, the moderators and the community and I don't want to break any rules.
So, I'd like to know where I can post my questions about the machine I wtb and not get into the ban-list? 

Ianab

Quote from: CarpenterPaul on April 22, 2016, 02:27:11 AM
Hey, guys! This message may not suit the topic, but I'm considering to buy some new equipment for sawmilling. I have some questions about it like if anyone here has any experience of using it and how good it is.
I've read the info on advertising here and I'm aware that my account can be banned if I give any advertising-like info without a permission. I utterly respect the administration of the site, the moderators and the community and I don't want to break any rules.
So, I'd like to know where I can post my questions about the machine I wtb and not get into the ban-list?

You can post a general description of the machine you are looking at and ask folks opinions.

The links to things like Craigslist are a no-no, both because other members might have an eye on the same deal, and someone else may see it and beat them too it. And it removes any question of someone trying to get sneaky free advertising.

If it's a new machine, just ask. Anyone can find the manufacturers site and look at it easy enough.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CarpenterPaul

Quote from: Ianab on April 22, 2016, 04:31:57 AM

You can post a general description of the machine you are looking at and ask folks opinions.

The links to things like Craigslist are a no-no, both because other members might have an eye on the same deal, and someone else may see it and beat them too it. And it removes any question of someone trying to get sneaky free advertising.

If it's a new machine, just ask. Anyone can find the manufacturers site and look at it easy enough.

You mean no detailed descriptions like characteristics and no links and photos on the machine, am I right?
For example:

"Hi, mates! I'm considering to buy "the model" from "the manufacturer name". I want to buy it for "the purpose". What do you think of it?"

Have I got the idea right?

Carson-saws

The layers of the enjoyment I get would make a "Dagwood"  sandwich.   From just being outdoors to the people I meet and the look on faces when you open up a log.   Better yet is my Grandson standing next to me, itching to run the mill.  Gotta admit, he is gettin pretty dern good.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

alpmeadow

Greetings All
10 years since we got the new woodmizer lt40, now with 1600 hours.  Yesterday's images added before the 30 inch d fir got cut down to 6x10 timbers.
Cheers
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

NavyRet98

When a was young(er), I worked at a cypress sawmill outside of Kissimmee, Florida. I was the line-bar sawyer and operated a bandsaw whose blades were 26 foot in diameter, and 9 inches wide. I remember one day I heard the dreadful "tick, tick, tick, tick" of a cracked blade. I stopped the saw and checked...sure enough, there was about a two-inch crack.  I told the mill foreman, who told me to keep cutting, because we only had three more logs on the rack. Unfortunately, one of those logs had an 18 inch cant. On the third pass of that log, the blade shattered, sending two-foot shards of the blade flying everywhere! One piece missed my head by inches and I could hear it whizzing by.

I worked there nearly two years, until one day, I had cut up all the logs we had in the yard, so went out back to help the guys put together orders. As I was reaching down to grab a board, a cottonmouth water moccasin bit me on the index finger, putting me in the hospital for two weeks, eleven days in intensive care. After that, I got a job at the Texaco Station.   8)
Never met a long-leaf pine I didn't like.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NavyRet98!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NavyRet98

Quote from: Chuck White on September 22, 2016, 01:03:05 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NavyRet98!

Thanks, Chuck! ...and thanks for your service!
Never met a long-leaf pine I didn't like.

Sandtown Sawmil

What's a good price for a 2x12 x8 with bark?

Btor2144

Im actually around 19 years experience. I've done almost every job in a typical sawmill. Ran and maintained several types of headrigs. An old handset. A Cleereman double cut band rig a left hand circle and a Timberland scragg.

irvi00

Just realized I should post here. I'm 41 and grew up from day one at a sawmill. I'll call my experience at 20 years. I started stacking lumber at age 6. Knew how to sharpen and lead a saw when I was around 15. I know pretty much everything about an 0 frick and an Edmiston automatic mill. I can rebuild a Miner edger from scratch. Still using a shop built scragg mill, a terribly worn out chipper, a brand new lt50 woodmizer and a rotochopper cp118.

Father and Sons

I am new here and so far, really like this site..I had always wanted a sawmill. My dad had been woodworking for years and I was the one tasked to find the timber to make the lumber. Just that it was a little expensive to have the logs turned into lumber so I suggested that we buy a mill and it will pay for itself. It never happened. when he passed, I turned around and bought a woodland HM126. Now we have a mill. I have about 5 years or so till retirement from my day job. I plan to supplement part of my retirement with the mill as well as offering skidsteer services. I have a 1993 Thomas T133....Been milling since 2015
Cheers...Jeff Foster

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the FF Jeff.
glad you figured out the pictures.  ;D

Nice set up and that mill will make you some retirement coins.
Good luck and post more pics.....we love pics.  :)

Goat
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Good for you on the mill. And welcome to the forum.
My Father never got to see me buy a mill. We looked at the kind that I bought. He would of enjoyed it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

Jeff, welcome, you have come to a good place.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tuckerrandy

Have just purchased a Wood Mixer LT40 Hydraulic. I have never owned a mill! I'm 63 years old....have always wanted a mill...I have a wonderful wife that said if you want one, gray it. I farmed for years & still love on the farm & rent my land. One of the reasons I really wanted to get the mill is I have a grandson 11 years old & absolutely loves the outdoors. I figured helping me on. the mill would gain him some good work ethic & I could pay him & thus he would see the benefits of hard work. When he graduates from HS in several years...he can have it! The dream has always been mine to own a mill & now I have a grandson that is sharing the dream with me. My mill delivers December 7th & we are excited. We have built a trailer with a log arch as well as purchased a Logrite T36 log arch to retrieve logs close to the farm.

One question for all....how many extra blades do I need?
I have 60 coming with the mill. I am 200 miles from the dealer & absolutely want to have plenty of blades.
Thanks in advance for the replies.

thecfarm

tuckerrandy,welcome to the forum.
Lucky grandson and good for you!! We work hard our whole life and should have things to fulfill our dreams and wants.
Going to need a peavey or a cantdog from Logrite too.
Whatcha pulling the Logrite arch with? Good choice on that.
And what's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tuckerrandy.  I use Wood-Mizer Resharp service and 60 blades should serve you well. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Welcome tuckerrandy.  My grandsons love helping me on the mill and it is so good to see them learn to enjoy hard work. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tuckerrandy!

It makes a difference in the blade quantity required whether you sharpen them yourself or use ReSharp!

If you sharpen your own blades, you don't really need 60 blades, but they won't go to waste!

If you use the ReSharp service, 60 blades should insure that you always have sharp blades on hand!

Billproef

I have over 30 years  billproef rounded down about 8 to 10 years should be  about 40

Thank You Sponsors!