iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memorial Day in Retrospect

Started by Roxie, May 20, 2013, 12:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Growing up, my Mom's best friend was married to the man in the picture.  I've known him all my life, and we spent weeks in the mountains, holidays, and summer barbeques with the two families together. 

He was just "Mr. Thomas" to me, until five years ago, when I was contacted by a veterans group.  They were taking up a special collection to have the uniform restored for the sole surviving member of the team that raised the flag on Okinawa on June 22, 1945, when Americans captured the island during World War II.  When I was told that it was a local man, I asked his name, and when they said, "Jess Thomas" I could not hide my shock.  All those picnics and vacations, and I never had a clue. 

And, now I know, the rest of the story...
Say when

Magicman

Thank you Roxie for sharing that special story.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

As an amateur military historian, that's awesome history you shared with us. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

Mr. Thomas sounds like a humble man and a true hero. Thanks for that story Roxie... you made my day!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pigman

Like most true heroes, I am sure Mr. Thomas was silent about his heroic actions.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Roxie

No he never said a word about it.  To me, he was just like my Dad, in that he was strict and quiet, and had a warm smile.  I remember waking up in the cabin at the mountains, and I could hear the four adults down by the creek talking and laughing.  I spent some time that night wondering why adults wait until the kids go to bed to have any fun.  Guess that I know the answer to that too, now.   :)

Say when

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

T Welsh

Many WW2 veterans are that way! My father was in the pacific theater and spoke very little about his time served! Not until near his passing did I ask in detail about his service. It brought tears to his eyes telling me about things he did and had seen. It was a horrific time in our history. I have the up most respect for all that have made the sacrifice to protect our people and nation! Thanks for making me remember Roxy! Tim

thecfarm

And a very important story. I would like to shake that man's hand and say thank you. Or try to save thank you,if it came out in my moment of awe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Roxie, thanks for reminding us. Most of them never mention their service. I was very surprised to learn one of my neighbors was a member of the unit surrounded for a week by the German army at Bastone, and another parachuted behind enemy lines on D-day. They are both gone now, but both families got an oiled walnut display case for their flags...from some forestry forum folks...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Thank you Roxie, that's really something.

Axe Handle Hound

I agree with everyone else's comments.  The humility shown by so many of our vets despite their amazing contributions is remarkable. 

loggah

One more "REAL AMERICAN HERO" !!! stuff like this makes me choke up a it !! My father was in platoon sgt. Korea for a year and a half,and he never talked about it, but i remember as a kid him yelling in his sleep about it for years afterward. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ron Scott

Roxi, What a special person and friend you have known.
~Ron

clww

Something I have told others before concerns our dwindling group of WWII veterans. I read somewhere where we are losing between 750 to 1,000 of these men and women daily. If a man entered the service in 1945 (the final year of the war) at age 18, today he would be 86 years old. Make sure you get the chance to speak with them sooner, rather than later, because they are disappearing very quickly.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

Thank you for the post, Roxie.
It made me think of a few guys that everyone knew growing up in a small town, but it wasn't until their passing that anyone found out who those guys actually were. Again, thank you.

Allan

bedway

I stand at attention and salute Mr. Thomas, and Roxie thats special of you to share that with us.

Sonofman

Thank you for this, Roxie. There is a man in my church that is 89. He fought across the Pacific with the 2nd Marine Division. It is interesting and humbling to listen to him tell his stories of the war. Here is a big Salute and Thank You to all veterans of all ages.
Located due west of Due West.

Roxie

Thanks everyone!  Have a wonderful Memorial Day!   :)

Here is a picture of my niece, playing taps.  She has done this every Memorial weekend for 15 years, with the local VFW's ceremonies. 

Say when

thecfarm

Lucky her. Is she in the service for our great country?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tree-farmer

One never knows what some of these ww2 vets have gone through and have kept locked away. A few years ago I stopped to see one of my friends, turned out he was not there but his Dad was sitting in a side yard having a beer and invited me to stop set a spell and have a cold one. While we were chatting the conversation somehow got onto WW2 and how it changed the world. As time went on he began to tell me about his service as a Marine in the Pacific, particularly IwoJima. Ended up with him crying and trying to make me understand all the horror and loss of his friends there. I was totally unpreparded but did my best to listen and understand. Composure returned and he seemed embrassed that he got so emotional. Assured him it was OK and went on my way.
Mentioned this to his son who was blown away, his dad and never said anything to him or rest of family about that, and as far as I know never did. Glad I was there to be a ear for him when he needed to let it out. Was a very moving experience.
Its one thing to read history, it is another to hear it from one who was there.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

sandhills

I had a very good friend that was a Vietnam vet and only heard him talk about it one time, after that one time I knew why.  A BIG thank you to all our veterans out there and the ones serving today, Roxie, you wouldn't be a little proud would you?  :)

Roxie

I'll admit that every Memorial Day, she puts tears in my eyes.  Not only for her flawless playing, but her unselfish determination to get out and honor the fallen.  She has two small children, one is a type 1 diabetic, and she still goes three days in a row to multiple cemeteries and plays.  One of the most moving tributes she plays for, is when they go to a local bridge and throw a wreath into the river to honor those fallen at sea. 

She has never been in the service, but when she was fifteen and in the high school marching band, the VFW asked the school for a trumpet player because military buglers couldn't be found. 

She normally wears dress blue slacks and a white blouse, but the "guys" suited her up in fatigues and the hat to make sure she wouldn't get cold out there.   :)
Say when

Ron Scott

~Ron

Roxie

What a great video reflecting the true reason for the day!  Wonderful example of small town celebrations!  Thank you for sharing that. 

You look good at the microphone too!   :)

Say when

Magicman

Thanks for a view of the news clip.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!