iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raising part one

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 19, 2019, 10:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

On Saturday, I traveled over to my customer's site to help him raise his timber frame shed.
When I got there just before scheduled raising time not everyone was there, who said they were coming to help.
Once everyone arrived we began with doing a "wall fit up" that is we test fit all the posts and braces in one wall to the plate.
We trimmed mortises and tenons until all fit correctly as well as bored all the peg holes.
Next we took that assembly all apart and put the other wall together to ensure that everything would go together when they are up in the air.

Shortly after that began, I had to leave for a "celebration of life" for another client who passed last November.

When I arrive back to the raising site, the second wall was done.
And the customer and his helpers were putting together bents.

During the bent assembly it was discovered that one brace pocket had been made in the wrong location on tie beam, so they decided that there was going to be a "part two" of the raising after the new mortise was completed.

We did manage to complete one bent and raise that, at the end of the day:

the boys sitting down were the "tool runners" who would bring us tools from the tool table when we called out for a tool. That's about all they could/would do.
the guy wearing the hat is my customer, I'm on the right. It was a very hot day in the afternoon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

My customer sent me a photo of the completed frame.

I wasn't there when they set the second plate or the rafters.
But it came out good, I think.

Jim Rogers

DWyatt

Jim_Rogers

CJ

Hi Jim,

Looked like there was plenty of help there for the raising of this shed. I constructed my own 14'X18' timber frame over the course of our cold winter here in Ontario inside my garage and in the spring, I had nobody that could assist in helping me put mine up, so I improvised.
 I went to our local hardware store and purchased a 2,000 lb. 12 volt winch (for ATV) that came with a wireless remote control (bonus). I then went to the Home Depot and purchased a 10' 4X4. I went back home and fabricated a boom with a small pulley wheel at the top and then mounted the winch about two thirds of the way down. I braced it against the sill plate as well as the floor joist. Applied 12 volts and away we go! Worked slick as Exlax on a constipated person. I ensured that the back end of the sills were braced to prevent the Bent posts from sliding off the ends. The money I spent on this little rig was worth its weight in gold and saved me headaches and a sore back. Cheers!

Thank You Sponsors!