iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable chokers or chain chokers ?

Started by RunningRoot, February 25, 2015, 09:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

Iv got cable chokers on my C 4 D as of right now... but they are really starting to annoy me. This cold weather we've had has them to where they are stiff, and I'm tired of getting off the machine ten times per hitch to put them back on the logs... this happens when releasing a hitch to make a turn or hook up a couple more logs to add to the hitch...

My C 4 D will wear you out getting on and off of it as it is. Increasing the amount of times you have to get off and on by x10 starts to make it frustrating.

so I was wondering if any of you use chain ckoker setups ?
as this will eliminate my problem, but then I think the chain choker setup would be a lot heavier and harder to pull and carry...

what are your guys's thoughts and experience between the two?
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Ed_K

If you go with chain, look for square link chain.It work better when the bark starts slipping.and buy a grab hook to pull the chain under the logs to hook up.
Ed K

treeslayer2003

i hate chain chokers......you going in that big wood block? try the no choker deal i cam up with. pretty sure you saw it already.

ga jones

Chains are the only way to go in big timber. Totally adjustable What good is a 10 foot cable choker on a 6 inch top
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Maine logger88

Quote from: ga jones on February 25, 2015, 03:54:40 PM
Chains are the only way to go in big timber. Totally adjustable What good is a 10 foot cable choker on a 6 inch top
X2 I run 4 chains and 6 cables if I'm cutting big wood I just use the chains if in small to medium I use them all. A trick to keep the cable chokers tight is wedge a piece of stick between the bell and the cable while holding it tight it will keep it tight till you pull ur hitch up
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

100' 3/4 choker :)

you guys get away with 6" tops? 10 here

ga jones

How do choke multiple trees with that set up. Am I missing something ? Treeslayer. I have six slides and use them all sometimes.I've pulled out stuff as small as 4 " on clear cuts. Cables just don't work for me. And I like my hands to much to use cables
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

bill m

I use chain chokers. The higher up you can get that hitch the easier it will pull. Can't do that with cable chokers.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

so il logger

Looks like treeslayer is running 2 slides and a bell o the end, works well. You dont have to use the bell unless it's a oversize tree for the other chokers then you use the main line as a chocker, hooked back into the large bell at end of main line

RunningRoot

That's one reason I'm considering replacing my cable setup with chain choker set up..
When I pull mix sized timber, say two tree length 28" and two tree length 16"... the 28"s will be high off the ground and the 16"s will be plowing my trails so to speak and making it a harder pull...

And I've just about drove the skidder in the creek and walked away from being so frustrated after having to get on and off to rehook the same log 5 times lol
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

ForestFox

Chains all my life. I never got a metal splinter from a chain. They are heavy though. I wrap a couple around my neck grab the chokers and pull. The snow makes the chains shine like silver too.  8)  Chains grab also, I can set the chain so it will roll the tree over a stump etc. They can be a pain sometimes when you drop a hitch with six chains in it though. Cables always look like a rats nest on the back of a machine, no? Chains will give you Popeye forearms too! (without eating spinach)
TJ225,MF481 wLoader, JD792, MF1080, Husky 2100's,285XP,576XP,261,

rick f

I run chain on my Farmi winch only cause it is setup that way. Cable chokers on the skidder. I run 3 - 6' then 5 - 7' then suck them up into the roller. Seldom do I lose a tree only when there is ice on them. I shove a twig in to the bell to keep them tight. Cable can be a pain when they are new. I separate and hang them on the arch when I unhook so the are easyer to get to in the woods.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

jd540b

I use chains, have some long 8' and some short-4-5' for pulling by tops or small stems.  You can choke them tighter and get twitch up off ground.  Also easier to pull trees up and drop them by trail with choker still on then collect them on way out.  It's really preference.  Try both and go with what works for you.

lopet

Quote from: RunningRoot on February 25, 2015, 09:27:06 AM
I'm tired of getting off the machine ten times per hitch to put them back on the logs... this happens when releasing a hitch to make a turn or hook up a couple more logs to add to the hitch...

Chains here, but only because I deal with a lot of small stuff. They come off too, when logs are icy.  I know what you're talking about getting on and off all the time, but that's just part of the game. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thenorthman

Cable, always cable...

Run 9 footers standard, and have a couple 12's as backup as well as a shorty 3' for extending as needed.

The nines can have a 32"  choked and a couple of 8"s with nothing plowing, for big sticks I'll use the 12's,

and for really big sticks I've used a 9 and a 12 and still haven't had much to rehook the main line with...

Not sure what kind of cable chokers you folks are running but the double swaged/bullet end chokers you can tag out with em, as long as necessary, I've had everychoker, and an 80' extension tagged out before to reach some stuff at the bottom of a hill, with 100' of main line and only 2-3 wraps on the drum...

Never used the chains, but from what I've seen of em I don't understand how you can extend them if the hook just slips, unless there is a standard hook on the other end?

As far as keeping em from getting stiff in the cold... maybe use some smaller diameter cable for the small wood... used to have a couple of 3/8's chokers that worked good for pulling tops and whatnot... (used em for extensions on big wood... they died...) Cheaper than converting to chains too...
well that didn't work

ehp

I have only ever used cable , my machine is setup with 9 ft and 8 ft chokers , not saying their better just that is what I have always used , Now a question for you guys using chain , what size of chain is your choker made of and grade , Shawn is using chain chokers on his machine and they are 3/8's and he keeps breaking them pulling these big oak trees . I myself have to run 9/16's cable chokers or I am  pulling the ends off the choker, Never break them just pull the end off 

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on February 25, 2015, 07:23:19 PM
How do choke multiple trees with that set up. Am I missing something ? Treeslayer. I have six slides and use them all sometimes.I've pulled out stuff as small as 4 " on clear cuts. Cables just don't work for me. And I like my hands to much to use cables
LOL! 1000ft+ in that stick. what kinda skidder you got? if you need 6 chokers then you ain't pulling wood that a normal choker won't fit around.

treeslayer2003

you guys pulling a little stick and a big stick with same choker, double wrap the little stick to even things out.
as far as hooking to roll a stick, that works fine with cable chokers to.
i have used both, both work, i just prefer cable. i do not however cut much small wood and if i have to i will use the grapple skidder.

redprospector

Since I mostly do thinning for fire prevention, I'm pulling mostly small sticks.
I have had projects where the spec's. stated that the tree would be utilized down to a 4" top (I hate that crap). So, that being said; I have 10 slides on my 440b, all full with 1/2" x 8' cable chokers. I've tried 3/8" but they break too easy in my opinion.
It's the nature of the beast. Chokers come loose from time to time, and sometimes more than others. I don't think it makes much difference whether it's chain or cable, they come loose.
The reason I choose cable over chain for chokers.....You ever tried to push a chain?  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

coxy

chain chokers  never used  cable chokers and the square chokers imop  are the worst thing they ever made

RayMO

Cables but I rarely cut small enough stuff to need but 2 or 3 at a time and they rarely come off on bigger hardwoods . I have a fourth slide without a choker so I can hook a choker back to it on big stuff using the mainline as an extension. If over 3 ft I am only pulling one tree at a time anyway with my 440B .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

ga jones

1000+in that stick??? What stick. What are u talking about. 6 slides.6 separate chokers 6 sticks. Little ones. Or one slide one choker one stick. Big one. I have 6 tear drop slides. The same as most every other logger I know. I don't know anyone who still uses cables. U can't adjust the height. Chains hook into a tear drop slide on the main line. The chains arnt attached to the main line.im not sure how your cable set up works treeslayer. That's all. I don't know what you think is funny.

treeslayer2003

this one.....the point is most skidders will not pull two of these at 40-50' long. that set up is infinitely adjustable. it is a different way of doing it. running root asked so i showed him a different way.
i borrowed this from the west coast because i learn different ways on these forums that may make life easier.

HiTech

I had cable chokers and took them off for sliders and chain. I prefer the 5/16" chain in Grade 100. Light, strong, easy to carry. I bought some at Boonville but couldn't find them there any more so i bought a length of 5/16" Grade 100 chain and made my own. You can hook up a 4' diameter tree with a 6' chain you just have to use two sliders. If I think the chain may slip I cut a small notch in the tree and that holds the chain in place. No two people have the same likes so this is just my way.

ga jones

I understand this is all the machine can handle. One of these

I'm not trying to say I pull six of these at a time. I pull six little sticks. I would like a better pic of your set up.

Thank You Sponsors!