iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

False Log Corners

Started by Dewey, January 18, 2018, 08:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

I have the chance to get a job supplying 2x6 Log siding... The customer wants false log corners...  What is the easiest way to make them....  I assume they will be cut out of a 6x6...  But how vertical Band saw ??

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2010, 02:32:50 PM
First I put the log up on saw horses and decided which part of the log was the best area to remove.  I then used a level to create vehicle lines on each end of the log, then uses a framing square to layout the 90° to be removed.  We then used a chalk line to snap from one end of the log to the other to get the two straight layout lines along the length as straight as we could. Because of the undulations of the log, the line will be hit and miss, but you get enough to be able to follow it straight.

Once we had the lines laid out, we used a skill saw to score the lines as deep and as straight as possible.  I then set the blade at a 45, move in from the line about an inch, and cut again, taking a "V" out the length of the log. Do this for both cuts.  Now comes the chainsaw.  You have that straight line, and with the "V" of wood taken out, you can now get in there with the chainsaw to remove the rest of the wood without muffing up your nice straight lines.  Its actually better if you remove too much wood, because the corner will fit right tight to the corner of the house that way.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dewey

I guess I wasn't clear enough... although your pics and explanation was.... Thanks jeff

I need to make horizontal false logs If I new how to draw on here I would....
There is going to be one false log for each course of siding...

Don P

Dewey

Dewey

I'm thinking Bandsaw for long cut and Radial Arm saw for the crosscut.... I guess some jigs would need to be made...

Don P

That would work. The crosscut there was 4" deep, we did it with a 16" skillsaw, not sure if a radial arm would do that. If you index the rip with the flat side down on the bandmill it should work. Maybe a bump stop for both the end of the log to locate it and then one to limit carriage travel. These were done on the job so skillsaws and sawzall.

Dewey

Hmmm....  Wasn't thinking of using mill  but if I can clamp it well enough that may work....
I have a 20 " Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

Thank You Sponsors!