iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which sawmill to buy

Started by rocky mountain high, March 01, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky mountain high

I am thinking of buying a sawmill and moulder.  After countless hours staring at this computer I've concluded that either the Cooks or Logmaster is the direction I think I'm headed.  For moulders either a Woodmaster or Logosol.  Any feedback would be apprecited

saw4you

Very simple wood-mizer and logosol

Jack

rocky mountain high

any particular reason?  The choices I came up with were based on reviews posted here and there.  I assume you own a woodmizer.  Have you owned anything else?

Haytrader

Welcome rmh,

Most of us here have asked the same question, at least about a sawmill.
All brands of mills will cut good lumber if they are set up right and have a sharp band.
We all have opinions of which are best. I know that is hard to believe.   :D
The general consenses is to get all the bells and whistles you can afford.
Support equipment is also important and the more of that you have the better.

Have you operated any mill? If so, you already have an idea of what is needed. If not, go to some shows and ask a lot of questions and/or find someone that has these mills and ask to come help them for a day to see how they work.

Good luck and ask a lot of questions here. We have a lot of fun here and some of these guys are very knowledgable.
Haytrader

Jeff

The best recommendation you can get from me, is to pick a company from the left. They have the foresight to be here looking after guys like you. These companies have employees that are Forestry Forum members. Those members are here most every day to help with issues that you may have, related to a machine or perhaps just related to something as simple as owen inexperience. Outside of that, you have the membership here for support, and the reason they are here with there 1000's of years of combined experience is because of those companies on the right.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rocky mountain high

thanks for the feedback everyone so far.  I have operated an old circular mill about 20 years ago.  I spent more time working on it than sawing.  But I got the bug and knew someday I'd be back.  I enjoy making lumber more than building with it.  I've seen several Woodmizers operating and I guess they were probably not adjusted right.  I know the machine is only as good as it's operator to some degree.  I do have some equipment to handle logs and wont be making a living from it At least I dont think so.  It will simply be a way to scratch the itch and also use in custom homes that I build.  I have a tendency to buy the best I think I can afford so it sounds like I may be headed in that right direction anyway.   

Tom_in_Mo.

Go BLUE!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

off to the woodshed I go...........

TheWoodsman

Quote from: rocky mountain high on March 01, 2009, 05:31:44 PM
I am thinking of buying a sawmill and moulder.  After countless hours staring at this computer I've concluded that either the Cooks or Logmaster is the direction I think I'm headed.  For moulders either a Woodmaster or Logosol.  Any feedback would be apprecited

If you are jumping in with both feet and lots of money, and you have already excluded the Wood-Mizers, I would suggest the Cooks or Baker four posters.

As far as moulders, I'd buy a Williams and Hussey before the Woodmaster and a used Weinig or SCMI four head before the Logosol.  I'm sure it is a fine machine but I stand by my recommendations based on personal experience.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Banjo picker

I have a Cooks and I like it, but I have never owned any other mill.  I will say a properly set up woodmizer with a good operator will cut some mighty fine wood.  My oldest son's house is decked with one by lumber that came off a woodmizer that is as true as any you will buy at any lumber yard.  I would get a mill that has a drag back feature, as it is much quicker than off loading on the side of the mill.  I had a off roller put on the mill, and it was probably the best money spent.  Like has been said get all the bells and whistles you can.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

york

HI all,

I look at every mill out there-am a fan of the shootouts too-got to tell you,the Baker boys build a straight forward,no nonsense "SAWMILL"

Albert

Tom Sawyer

I have a Wood Mizer, and although I believe that the other brands will cut wood, I would never buy anything other than WM.  If you saw a WM that was not cutting well, it had nothing to do with the quality of the sawmill, but rather it was most likely the operater, either using a dull blade or not aligning the mill properly. 

Customer service with WM is second to none (and I have heard others here say the same thing about other brands).

Which ever sawmill you decide on get as much horsepower as you can and as many bells and whistles as you can.

Tom

MaddiesDad

Go to some sawmill shows.  I've honestly heard NO complaints about Woodmizer and Baker.  Both are very nice mills.  I've honestly got no clue on the other ones. 

Tarzan

I have just been through the same questions as you, but I decided on a bandmill from Forestor, it`s produced in the Czech Rep. The basic model was a little cheaper than the competetors, so that meant I had money for a all the xtras and a band sharpener from same company. I too have been through the joys of an old circular saw and a chainsawmill from Logosol, lot of good lessons.  Ofcouse the mill is the heart of the operation, but one thing I have learned is that all the logistics around the mill is as important to get a good workflow, and thereby satisfaction from the work.
Good luck with deciding.
Small sawmill operating a Forestor 800 horizontal bandmill

Chico

I don't relly know mch about small mills I have ran a WM some The advice I would give you is think about Parts availability sooner or later you gotta have them Czech. is a long way off not to say their prod isn't a good choice I just always thought about parts myself
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ErikC

From Sweden it 's not that far. We have members from all over on here. ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

kelLOGg

My experience is more limited than others' on the FF so put this where you think it belongs. I looked at a lot of manual mills before I bought. When I observed a mill in operation I unconsciencely put my foot on the saw deck as it was being demonstrated. When I saw the Cooks in operation I noticed that I could barely feel the vibration and realized that the others vibrated more. That sold me. Maybe many others could pass this test but I had looked enough. I assume their production mill (as well as many others) will behave the same.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chico

Just a general statement though I guess I should have seen he was from Sveden ;)

Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ErikC

Well one thing about heavy equipment of all kinds is IT WILL BREAK sometime or other. You were right on to mention parts availability.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

rocky mountain high

well I got more feedback than I know what to do with.  Someone said they will all do the job and I'm beginning to see that.  I do appreciate everyones comments.  Just to throw a kink in the discussion, has anyone ever used a circular mill like the double cut By D&L?   

beenthere

Double cut or Mobile Dimension.  Member DanG is one who has the Mobile Dimension, I believe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Handy Andy

A lot depends on how you are going to use your equipment.  Is your plan to make a living with it or just saw and mill for yourself?  I have a Cook mp32, and it is very durable, but if I were sawing for a living would get a hydraulic mill.  My neighbors have a TK 1600 and it is a very nice mill, bought pretty right used. My Cook was used also.  There are lots of mills used very little and a few years old guys are ready to part with.  I like my Woodmaster for my woodworking shop, but I don't sell molding. A 4 head molder makes flooring or trim faster, as it will do it all in one pass, and the Woodmaster, you have to plane the wood to thickness, then put the molding cutter on and cut the molded part. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

rocky mountain high

they both look interesting.  The mobile dimension may be a bit on the small side for cutting large beams.  It seems as if one could avoid changing bands several times a day by using one of these mills.  I know the teeth still need sharpened however.  I'm not sure the versatility is there like the bandsaw.  Of course that is speculation on my part as i dont own either one yet.

ErikC

The mobile dimension will whip up on anything out there cutting beams up to 4, 6, or 8"x12", depending on your edger blades. It's a serious machine for big logs and fast cutting. Bigger beams than that are not what it was built for, but an 8x12 is pretty big.

MrMoo

If one of your choices is a Logmaster you are on the right road. I have one and I think they are they best machines on the market. I had another machine before I bought this one and I researched them all before I got this one. After buying it I knew I had made the correct choice.
Logmasters are very rugged machines that cut true lumber. The company is family owned and offers great support. You cannot go wrong with one their machines.

StorminN

Quote from: rocky mountain high on March 01, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

What size and type logs will you have, and what sort of end product are you looking to make? Do you plan on working alone, or will you have help? Do you have support equipment... tractor, skidsteer, something with forks?

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Thank You Sponsors!