iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which sawmill to buy

Started by rocky mountain high, March 01, 2009, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Yes, I am one of several members who own Mobile Dimension mills.  I like it a lot.  About the only thing you cannot do with it is cut stacks of wide boards over 12" wide.  You can cut a beam of any size with it, but you're limited to one per log if they are over 8"x12".  While it won't do the stack of wide boards, it does have the capability of making one big "slab" of whatever size the log will support, and the log size is totally unlimited.  I can even remove the mill from its trailer and mount it directly on a huge log if I want to.  I don't want to, though! :D :D :D

The D&L works the same way essentially, but its four-poster design limits the size of the logs it can handle.

I've often wished I had a bandmill to do the things the MD won't, but I wouldn't trade.  It would have to be an additional mill. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tomtrees

I have a swing mill and need less support equipment (lifting and edging equipment) can cut large logs and do the same as DanG. People always talk about the loss of wood dew to the with of blade but, and I may be wrong but I think in the real world it is neither here nor there. I think circular saws are worth a look. I like mine it is a Peterson.

Chico

I agree with the circle saw versus the band saw on wood loss in order too lose any appreciable wood you would have to cut many lines However you may lose some grade simply because it may expose a defect with the little bit more it does take with the kerf I have ran both and I think in most test it was a little between one and 2 % in footage and about the same in grade. These were random tests in high prod mills where they really push these figures with a circle headrig and a band resaw it wasn't meaurable Circles have much less upkeep than bands imo and you do have a lot more leeway in logsize from what I've seen in the swingmil
Chicol
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

rocky mountain high

Well After that feedback I am definetly headed for the swing mill.  I'll have to still decide which one but I really think it is for me and my uses.  It appears that quarter sawing would be much easier and the kerf issue doesnt bother me.  I definetly like not having to deal with sharp bands several times a day.  This is very part time for me so that may not make a difference but I do like being able to sharpen the blade myself.  Thanks again everyone for all the input.  I will keep you all posted as to progress and I welcome any further thoughts

ErikC

Well, I have a Peterson and it does about anything I want it to. There is less learning curve on sawing in general, but as far as grade sawing hardwoods, there is more of a curve I think. Maybe just for me because I do mostly dimensional lumber. I'm not sure a bandmill wouldn't be better if that's ALL you want to do. It can be done on a swinger though.
  I also really like the low maintenance, if you don't use it really often, this will be a big plus for you. It won't rust, hoses won't rot and the simple electrics, if you get one with any at all, are a breeze.

8) 8) 8)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

VanWild

I run a Brand X swing saw,  worth looking into.  We've used it hard for 5 years now.  Cut a heck of a lot of wood. 

cheyenne

I researched mills for two years till I found a twin blade automatic. There's nothing it won't do, just takes thought...Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

ronnie tucker

i want to build a house and a barn i wonder what size band mill i should get i will need to saw  some 20ft stuff and just what extras do i really need to run it by myself ronnie tucker tn logger  i was thinking woodmizer or maybe logmaster i am use to a 00 frick but that was 25 years ago this bandsaw is all new to me

rocky mountain high

Well thought I'd update everyone on my progress.  I'm starting to accumulate a very large pile of nice logs, ponderosa, spruce, lodgepole. 20-26" diameter and 21ft long with a few that vary of course.  I'm anxious to start turning them into useable product for our homes.  I've spoken to the local lumber grader so kinda know what I'm up against there.  The best part is that I have a Logmaster LM2 on order and will be here in two months.  38 hp gas kohler engine and plumbed so I can extend it out to 32 ft when I need to.  I've got some ideas about how to build a planer attachment for it also but will wait till it arrives of course.  Only to plane the large beams that I'll be cutting. The folks at LM were awesome to deal with and seem very accomidating.  A small family business with a father , mother, son team.  After speaking with another LM owner on his experience I was sold.  So we'll see how it goes.  I'll keep everyone posted on progress and I'm sure you're all thinking,"If only he knew what I know" but there's only one way I learn most everything  and thats usually "just get started"

oakiemac

My recomendation is to really think about what you want to do with the mill. If you are cutting dimensional stock from pine then the swing mills or a Mobile dimension is definately the ticket. Grade sawing a band mill might have some advantages but make sure you learn to run them properly.
There are a lot of folks out there with sawmills but only a few Sawyers. ;)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Chuck White

I agree that you should see several different models in operation if you have the chance!

I've seen most of them at the annual "woodsmen's days".  They're really something to watch, especially when they have a good operator on them.

I didn't really know what brand I wanted, then I helped my FIL a couple years on his manual Wood-Mizer and I ended up getting a used Wood-Mizer hydraulic and I have no regrets, I love this machine.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!