iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracked Gas Tank

Started by Erick, September 26, 2004, 10:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

I have a small crack in the tank on one of my saws and was wanting to know the best way to fix it. I was thinking of useing a two part epoxy but not sure if it will stick to the oil soaked tank. The tank dosnt leak yet but you know its wating for just the right time to start.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

DanManofStihl

I used sme stuff called seal all it is gas and oil resistant and it worked really well I got it for about $5.00 at walmart. I have had it fixed for about 2 years and it does not leak.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

sawguy21

Seal-All is great stuff. It will work equally wel on plastic and metal but make sure the surfacces are clean. Carb and choke cleaner or Brake-Kleen are good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanManofStihl

What I did was take the handle off then clean it really well get all the fuel or oil out of it and then let it dry for 24 hours and then put the seal all on it and let it sit for 24 hours to make sure it is dry I also put in on the inside of my fuel tank to be sure it was not going to leak. The guy I talked to said that that was not necessay but I thought better safe then sorry. I don't like to have a puddle under my saws. It is imberresing when you partner sees a puddle of oil or fuel on the ground. I got picked at for weeks when my 066 when the clutch springs went out and my chain spun while idling.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Erick

Thanks good information I hadnt thought of the carb or brake cleaner good suggestions I will give it a try and let you know.Thanks again
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Frickman

NAPA sells a two-part epoxy that I have use with alot of success. One of my saws had a gas tank repaired with this epoxy a year ago an it is holding up well.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!