iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Water Hickory or Carya aquatica.  I did not think that one would bedevil you, WDH.  
Caveman

WDH

I found the Georgia State Champion one back about 7 years ago.  Has scaly bark like pecan with many leaflets with a flattened nut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

How big was your champion?  I have seen a few around here but none that I have found are very big.  
Caveman

Texas Ranger

I found the Texas State champ back in the '70's on the local reservation, not a big tree here.

edit, just looked no longer champ
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Sunday's tree of the day.  Many will find it familiar.  There is a variety used in landscape called Little Gem.  
Caveman

WDH

Look at those stipular scars completely encircling the twig ;D.

The GA Champion water hickory is 35.33" at DBH and 122' tall. 

Georgia Forestry Commission (/forest-management/champion-tree-program/list/View.cfm)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Quote from: WDH on May 19, 2019, 06:51:44 AM
Look at those stipular scars completely encircling the twig ;D.
Grand!

Southside

Some are evergreen and some are deciduous too. They are related to that popular tree you showed the other day. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

If the genus and species pictured here is not green, it is dead.  

WDH, that is a big water hickory that you found.  I am surprised at the height too.
Caveman

Don P

Magnolia Grandifolia spp "little gem"
QuoteGenus name honors Pierre Magnol, French botanist (1638-1715).

Here's the only grandifolia we can grow up here, sort of. That bottom of the leaf is the giveaway on which one. It becomes sort of deciduous when it gets really cold, there are some leaves that will drop here directly, ice is the real problem though, this one has been broken up pretty badly a couple of times.

Not a Magnolia but too pretty to pass by with the camera right now;

caveman

DonP, that looks like the same Southern Magnolia.  I did not know that they would shed their leaves when it gets cold.  Your flowers look like they belong to an azalea in a color I have not seen on azaleas before.
Caveman

Don P

That cultivar is "Bracken's Brown Beauty", the brown underside of the leaf is its giveaway, it is cold tolerant here, grandifolias don't come up the mountains naturally. I think Grumpy says one other one can make it here but with those big leaves in winter heavy snow and ice is a problem.

The flame azalea, Rhododendron calendulaceum, is a native, I've seen them down as far as the Chatooga in GA. There are a few mountainsides covered in Catawbas and flames that are beautiful this time of year. That particular flame azalea Michelle grew from seed, which is quite a feat. The pinksters just finished up late last month.

Weekend_Sawyer

Lets take this thread to food.

Way back on Friday @caveman  mentioned he was grilling rib trimmings.
Please tell me more, a picture would be nice.

By the way, I am enjoying this thread!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

caveman

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on May 20, 2019, 06:32:32 AM
Lets take this thread to food.

Way back on Friday @caveman  mentioned he was grilling rib trimmings.
Please tell me more, a picture would be nice.

By the way, I am enjoying this thread!
Jon
Jon, Not sure how to move this to the food thread without getting messing things up but I did not get any pictures Friday.  I was slammed trying to get food ready to serve by 10:30 a.m and then pack some of it up to take to some workers at a steel fabrication plant whose owners support our students in their livestock sale each year.  
Anyway, last fall the students pre-sold 330 slabs of ribs for a fundraiser to pay for the veterinary assisting team to attend the national contest.  We trimmed the brisket bones and the flank meat off of the slabs and froze it.  As a reward for our students who earned industry certifications this semester, we had a big lunch and invited school and county administrators too.  I cook the trimmings similar to the way I grill ribs but I usually wrap them in foil or put them in a pan after about an hour.  Friday, I poured a small amount of Italian dressing over them when I put them in the pan and covered them to ensure that they would be tender - they were.  I generally refer to them as riblets (the flank meat is cut into rib shaped pieces after it is taken off of the grill).

Tree of the day.  I wish I had a picture of the underside of the leaves as the veins are a dead give away.
Caveman

Don P

Wow, never seen that bottom mitten. The twigs of that tree were often chewed to make a colonial toothbrush.

caveman

Quote from: Don P on May 20, 2019, 07:04:03 AM
Wow, never seen that bottom mitten. The twigs of that tree were often chewed to make a colonial toothbrush.
Back when prominent folks had wooden teeth?  

Caveman

Magicman

You are getting too sassy for your britches.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Stirring up quite a frass with all this talk of good eating. Looks like you had the makings for some refreshing beverages too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Weekend_Sawyer

Makes me want to have a glass of tea!

I seem to remember there is some controversy over drinking tea made from this tree's roots, some say it's good for you, some say it's bad.

This was one if the first trees my uncle Elwood taught me about. I remember it well because of the different shapes of the leaves on the same tree.

Also, caveman, maybe you could start a thread on those rib ends next time you make them. I'd be interested to learn more about them.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

btulloh

We only have small ones here.  I'm amazed when I see people making lumber from them.  All I can make is root beer.
HM126

WDH

I always imagined that this venation pattern is what dinosaur skin would look like.  

caveman

I tell the kids that it looks like old man's skin and then show them the back of my hand.  In many ways I am a bit like a dinosaur.
Caveman

CJennings

Sassafras. I was pleasantly surprised to find that growing in southern Vermont two years ago. Along with some chestnut too. That was an interesting piece of ground I was on that day. I love the smell of sassafras. I don't think I'd drink the tea myself though.

caveman

The top picture is of new growth.  The bottom picture has a fungal body that is fruiting which has the alternate host as an apple tree.  The heartwood is red.

Caveman

Don P

Teliospore, Gymnosporangium juniper-virginianae ;D They look like they're from outer space.

Thank You Sponsors!