iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sprocket tips

Started by bodagocreek2, February 03, 2019, 09:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodagocreek2

Learned something today. SIL told me the service guy at the Husky dealership told him he didn't need to grease the tip, said it gets enough lube from the oiler. Guess I have been doing it wrong all these years.

lxskllr

What I've read around is greasing is optional, but if you decide to grease, you should keep it up. I don't grease my tips.

wild262

That's correct.  I never grease mine unless I'm cutting in wet conditions or snow, or cutting through ice.  Main thing is keep your bar rails cleaned out good with a bar/hook cleaning tool so any bar oil can get to it.

Air Lad

Some have a little hole and even show on the cardboard package a little grease gun ( Oregon I think). Not sure
Lube is great until it attracts sand etc
Keeping the oil pathway unblocked can only help feed fresh stuff while the centrifugal force hopefully flicks the contaminants away

sawguy21

Quote from: lxskllr on February 03, 2019, 09:39:50 AM
What I've read around is greasing is optional, but if you decide to grease, you should keep it up. I don't grease my tips.
X2
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Greasing sprocket tips on a 32" and longer bars makes sense. But much shorter bars get enough lubrication no matter what size of engine displacement.

When I field tested bars for Oregon on the job in the early 1980s,  Gary Walrath their field test engineer told me to grease tips in 2 different scenarios.
#1 while cutting in extreme dirty conditions keep your grease gun with your fuel and bar oil containers and grease the tip at every tank fill to purge out dirt and debris.

#2 while cutting in freezing conditions with snow, grease at every tankfill or when letting the saw sit for more then a short period after cutting.
Reason is snow can melt into water and freeze inside the sprocket nose bearings. Trying to run a saw with a frozen sprocket nose may cause  damage from the ice expansion releasing some of the small roller bearings.
I didn't bother greasing, I just slapped the frozen bar nose against a tree to free it up,  but I probably was changing the tips more often then I should have. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!