iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rim Sprocket for MS 460

Started by Good Feller, July 21, 2008, 08:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I have a 3/8 X 7 rim sprocket on my MS460.  I see that there are different sizes available such as 3/8 X 8,,,,, what's the difference?  Which should I use? 
Good Feller

Lanier_Lurker

To my way of thinking, the 8 should increase chain speed but decrease power/torque over the 7.  This is a purely amateur opinion based on some knowledge of mechanics.  It would seem that by definition the 8 would have a larger diameter - thus giving the saw's drive spindle less mechanical advantage.

Perhaps one of the pros here will chime in and tell me if I am correct or not.  ???

Cut4fun

No pro here. But if your 460 cant handle a 25" bar buried with a 7T like you stated in your earlier post, you dont want to give up the torque running a 8T for chain speed.

Reddog

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 21, 2008, 10:51:31 AM
No pro here. But if your 460 cant handle a 25" bar buried with a 7T like you stated in your earlier post, you dont want to give up the torque running a 8T for chain speed.

Ditto. :)

Good Feller

Ok, I think I'll stick with the 3/8-7 since my saw has small balls.... LOL
Good Feller

jokers

I agree with the others, stick with the 7 tooth, and lighten up on the saw. It should pull a 25" bar just fine.

Southernlogger007

Good Feller you might want to check this site out is has some information on rims.Look for the topic sprocket tuning.
This site has a lot of good information on chainsaws,bars and chains.

http://www.madsens1.com/MNUbarchain.htm

Thank You Sponsors!