iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tiny Echo 2511T

Started by livemusic, June 27, 2019, 01:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I wanted to tell you all about this little saw I bought because it is so small! It has been such a joy to use clearing/maintaining trails on my woodlot. It weighs only 5.2 lbs and I think it is the smallest made. I have Stihl saws and have been tempted to try an Echo and this did it. It runs and cuts well and I love using it because it is so light! It sold for $389 and they considered it "commercial" or "pro" quality, something like that. I could use it as is forever and it would be fine but I know some guys are putting different bars/chains on theirs so it will cut even better. Mine has the 12" Echo bar that came on it. I have also seen some guys doing some mods to make them even stronger. Before the Echo, I would use my Stihl rear-handle ms200 and it's great but this Echo is far smaller. Looks like a toy, lol. Looking forward to doing some mods on down the way.

Bar shows:  12" .050" 45DL 3/8LP

I think some guys have gone to a 1/4" chain. I have more to research on that. I guess it would be new bar, new chain and new sprocket? And might have to mod the bar holes, will check that out.

There are some who say don't get a top-handle saw unless you are a pro arborist but I bought it anyway, lol. Will try to be cautious with it. I seem to recall they have a rear-handle version of this 2511 but I don't know if they are in the USA.

Love it!
~~~
Bill

lxskllr

It's a great little saw. I keep mine in the truck for quick jobs. I'm keeping it at 3/8lp, though I did get a 12" WoolandPro bar for it. Haven't used it yet, but it'll probably be my "good" bar, and I save the echo bar for beater duty. The WoodlandPro has a bit bigger radius on the nose. Keep an eye on the air filter and internals. It gets dirty much quicker than my bigger saws.

edit:
I also found the stock chain a little grabby. It's gotten better as I've sharpened it(rakers are higher), but I'm looking forward to seeing how my Carlton and Stihl semi chisel chain perform on it.

DelawhereJoe

You may want to look into the narrow kerf 3/8 lowpro .043 I think the cutter width is the same as the 1/4". So it would just be a b/c swap and not have to mess with the sprocket. The home depot sells them online.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Meanderthal

@DelawhereJoe Hi Joe,

I just purchased this saw and was have the same chattering issue that is common with the stock bar and chain of this saw. Could you post links to the bar and chain that you suggest?

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!