iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tales of the Wierd -- What strange things have you found when working with wood?

Started by Left Coast Chris, December 22, 2008, 01:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Ever find strange shapes and figures when working with wood? This is a loose cap to a cut off limb on a English Walnut tree.  The cap seperated when spliting for fire wood.  On the back side.......well see for yourself.... :)

Front side:

Back side:

Not sure who tried to kiss this tree but their lips were left there!  or......
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Left Coast Chris

Here is another one........ when spliting a limb crotch it split the outer sap wood off and left this figure.........

Is this the lower half of a man........or........?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ed

roger 4400

Once I found an old bullet of lead in the middle of a 14 in. black ash. But the most surprising thing I found at the foot of a tree after excavating one foot of earth was 3 different spears and arrow points made of stone (quartzite )that were +- 4000 years old. ( you can see them in my photo link). Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Left Coast Chris

Those spear points are really something.  Interesting they were together at the base of the tree.  Must have been a camp and the tree grew and protected the speer points.   They are definately more durable than the wooden lips.  I should probably put them on ebay now before they deteriorate  :) :D

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

LOKO

Great finds folks,.I too also found two lead bullets in an old maple trunk
when I was cutting it off the stump,I was living in Claudville,VA at the time.
looked like old cast bullets to me... ;D..Loko

SwampDonkey

I never found too much for excitement except for burls. I don't work with crotch or stump wood much, but I have seen many folks on the forum present many interesting finds. Sometimes a piece of wood is clear on the face and on the back has a gum pocket or bark inclusion like in cherry. Rather than cull it I turn the good side out and the back side might be underneath a piece never to be seen unless up ended. Just take some wood fill and patch over that gum hole after digging it out. Nothing too exciting though.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

I've got a tree in my pasture that has a disc from a disc harrow in the middle of it.  I think that some old farmer must have lost a disc - and later found it and placed it in the crotch of the tree.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OneWithWood

Found this in a red maple awhile back.  It is still waiting for me to get creative and make something of it.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thedeeredude

Welcome to the forum LOKO!  I can't find the picture, but there's a tree around here that has a piece of railroad track high up in the crown, one of the limbs grew around it.  Big sycamore tree next to the creek, probably a good 5 foot diameter before it splits.

Glenn

We have an army base close by so i have seen many full metal jacket shells.  I've found lots of sap spials and last year a horse shoe hit the head saw!  A couple of years ago a family of raccoons came into the mill in a hollow log, they managed to get out safely.  When i was timber cruising in algonquin park i found an axe growing out of a tree where someone had left it years before.  It had grown over the head and just the handle was sticking out.

dail_h

I found a civil war (we think ) cannon ball in a log one time with a veneer lathe. Yep,brand new blade,first sharpening :-[
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ellmoe

Quote from: Glenn on December 30, 2008, 05:41:06 PM
  A couple of years ago a family of raccoons came into the mill in a hollow log, they managed to get out safely. 

This made me remember about the time we almost had sliced skunk at the mill. :o We unloaded that log very gentlyoff the mill and were able to keep our normal "sawmill fragrance" unenhanced. :D We also had a nice beehive come in a big cypress log. I left the log alone for months to see if they would move on. I can't recall what happened, but with all the honey flowing on the ground I imagine the fireants took over.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!