iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry forum on facebook?

Started by celliott, December 01, 2009, 01:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

This topic may speak mainly to the younger members of the forum, like myself, but i was wondering how many members of the forum are on the social networking site facebook?  I know there isnt an official forestry forum group(yet), but just wondering how many members are out there?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

fishpharmer

I thought Forestry Forum is a social networking site.  I have heard of that other one.  I'll stick with FF. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

I'm on there for family purposes, but don't frequent it much when I am home. I did while away at bear camp for extended family's sake, but for Forestry Forum purposes, the Forum itself does quite well.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

I'm on it because I'm under 30 and it's required by law ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

I dislike Facebook.

Am on it, but don't do quit doing the "lets be friends" bit. Get on and find out a friends list of their friends, and pretty soon, one can find out about everyone he/she knows.
But don't mind others wanting to let everyone know about themselves to anyone and everybody who wants to know.

I'll stick to the FF.
:) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

My daughter came down from Toronto for the funeral of a dear friend the other day and got me started.  I have discovered old school mates that I haven't heard of or from for 50 years.

The jury is still out though
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Captain

I am on Facebook and I do enjoy it to keep in contact with friends and family.  I have also been a bit harsh in judging the friend requests....people I did not even associate with in High School for example....
On the other hand, it is a good way to communicate with distant friends and family, and with the Firefighter's Motorcycle Club I belong to as an example.

Captain

scgargoyle

I'm on Facebook (and I'm a youngish 56). It's OK. I've re-connected with a few 'lost' family members, but that's about it. I only 'friend' people that are already friends anyhow.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Tom

I'm on it and I'm over 30.  

I find it generally annoying and don't go there much, unless I get an email that someone left a note.  I don't think I even get all of those.  

There is too much of that stuff of people wanting to be friends who I don't know from Adam.  (not you Adam).  I don't know where they come from, friends of friends or email accounts.  I sometimes think that they are sending out friends notices to everyone in their email contact list.  That's when those "Forwards of forwards of forwards" come in handy.  They litter your contact list with all kinds of unknown people if you let it.

Then there are people who send these fool bouquets of roses and stuff.  Now there is a farm business/game thing going on and people I don't know are asking for mules, fertilizer, tractors and all kinds of stuff.  

Had an inlaw get mad because his son had the measles and I hadn't said anything.  The boy is in college in Jacksonville.  I said, "I didn't know, nobody told me he was sick".    The inlaw says, "I PUT THE ANNOUNCEMENT ON FACEBOOK!!".   

"Well 'Scuze ME all to H?!?!"

Heck!!  I don't have the time for the Forestry Forum and the few other little sites I visit, Much less be "TIED" to a confounded site where all these games are played.  And, I thought that SPAM in my email  was a nuisance......  :-\

Is that curmudgeony enough? :D :D

Jeff

The spam generated by or because of facebook is freakin horrible.

celliott

Hehehe :D, somehow, those were the responses I thought I might recieve ::)
I am in college, and it is "the thing to do", there is alot about the site I do not care for, but one thing I have noticed about the forum is that everyone is always polite, and very helpful.  The forum is a very useful tool, and a great site.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

SwampDonkey

I know of some people who are on there all day like they are on a phone line and the people would be just down the road. I'm not on there. I was on "My Space" for about 2 weeks. Got bored real quick.

Mom's cousin is there to get all the gossip from everyone in her area. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

I am on facebook. I like it to keep in touch with family and friends . I am very choosy about who I "friend" I keep in touch more with my brothers now than I ever did in the past. You can hide all the crap so you don't get it. I have a yahoo acct. that I use to sign up for stuff with and the spam goes there.
Together we got this !

zopi

I am on it because if you are you don't have to get a building permit to build a sawmill shed out of record sized american elm trees.

heh...deeeerail.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

moonhill

So how big are those elm trees, how about a picture?  Didn't elm get wiped out a while back?

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

Jeff

There are still some monsters around. Usually standing in the middle of a field or somehow isolated from any others. There are two great big ones near Stlawart in the U.P, out in the middle of a near section field that I admire every time we drive by. I'd love to get permission to walk out there and see how big they really are.  From almost a half mile a way they look huge. No mistaking the form.  Sad thing is, that this year I see one of them was dieing out in the top. Looks like the dutch elm has finally found it.

The national champion elm died just a few short years ago, less then an hours drive from our home.  I think if you google Buckley elm it should come up.

D Hagens

I love facebook 8) Don't any of you guys play Farmsville on there? It's the bestest game ever! You never lose the farm, you always make money even if you decide to go drinking for a week! :D :D They even have pink cows that make strawberry milk.

I can talk to the wife at work through facebook and I don't even have to hear her nagging voice. :D :D :D

isawlogs

I am on there , I find it really nice to stay in touch with the kids the neices and nephews . And ya , I play farmville .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wi woodcutter

I think that facebook is pointless.

Anybody that I am "friends" with has my phone number and they can call me. :)
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

isawlogs

True , my neices and nephews have my number also . but economics of them and schoolling makes calling a big dent in there budget , also I have friends that fall into the internation calling thing .. that also is costly .
So for me Facebook aint so useless or pointless
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

isawlogs

I am a real cheap farmer Jeff , I did not buy into it  ;)

Marcel

Jeff

Ya yhve to be careful on some of those things. You take say an I.Q. test then they want your cellphone number to send you the results via a text message.  Easy to fall for.  Once you do, you are on a subscription service that costs you every time you send a message.

isawlogs

Havent done that either ... I am shy .  :-\     I wonder how long or if the link would stay up on my page on Facebook ... Or if they hae a wood shed to put me in ...  :D

Marcel

bull

I do FB and Jeff's on my friends list.... Im over 30....also have a page for the farm.... Marketing !!! its how the younger folks communicate..... hopefully p/u a few more customers

D Hagens

Me thinks if ya don't have the brain matter to think before ya fall for the text scam then oh well.........
I'm sure that by now over the years us cell users have heard through the grape vine about all the text scams out there and it's not only F/B. I've had our biggest video chain try pulling these text scams too.
BTW there's a fishville too! :D :D

Brucer

I ain't on it. Don't intend to be.

Anything you put on facebook is available to anyone on the net. There is no such thing as "security".

Here's a small sampling from my collection of facebook news stories:

• A theft ring in one of Canada's major cities targeted homes they knew would be vacant because the owners had told their "friends" (and therefore everyone else in the world) when and where they were going on holidays, and for how long.
  • The cops caught the thieves because they were using facebook to exchange information about likely targets -- and the cops were tuning in. Duh  ;D.
  • An American family had their family photo used in advertisements all over Europe. The advertisers had purchased what they assumed was a staged photo -- but it was actually lifted off facebook.
  • A political candidate in BC had to withdraw just before our last election because someone mailed the media some racy pictures taken off his website.
  • A Quebec woman suffering from depression had her health insurance benefits terminated after the insurance company found a facebook photo showing her on a beach in the US. (Her doctor had told her to take a vacation as part of her treatment.)
  • A couple of years ago, for several months facebook was telling all your "friends" what you had recently purchased through facebook associate sites.
  • And then, of course, there's the current case of an American couple who crashed a White House dinner party and posted photos of themselves hanging out with politicians. "Yep, we crashed the party. Oh, oh, here comes the Secret Service to interview us. Nope, we didn't crash the party after all."

And on and on it goes. It's just not worth my time and effort to keep track of what I should and shouldn't post. Easier just not to be there. Besides, it's more fun collecting stories of silly things that naive users have done  ;D ;D ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JD350Cmark

The people whom I care to keep in touch with are either on my e-mail list or their numbers are in the phone.  Face book & my space is not for me.  I'm far more content reading the interesting and informative info on the FF.  -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

celliott

In my town, a boy scout camping area that my troop had done alot of work at was vandalized during an underage drinking party.  Everyone at school knew who had done it, but the kicker came when one girl posted photos of everyone drinking and vandalizing the place, onto facebook! it wasnt long before those photos got printed out, and the police came knocking on their doors.  Some people just do not think at all...........
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

chainspinrunner

Facebook and Forestry don't mix. That S@#t is for the birds!
Grose

James P.

Not on facebook or any other type social networking site. I pretty much stick around the forest since I joined. I like hiding in the woods. Plus I am actually antisocial so it would be self defeating. Well antisocial unless you want to talk about sawmills then as some folks know. I won't  shut up.

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: celliott on December 01, 2009, 01:57:22 PM
This topic may speak mainly to the younger members of the forum, like myself, but i was wondering how many members of the forum are on the social networking site facebook?  I know there isnt an official forestry forum group(yet), but just wondering how many members are out there?
I use FaceBook, and have my house plans and pics of the work I've done on my log home so far on there. Many of my colleagues use it also, and several of my family use it.

That said, my son has always kept a private presence from me, and his FB is one place I haven't bothered to see. Both of us consider that to be the one place for him to have a private presence on a social network. He's just started college, and is off at UCLA nowadays, so I don't think he even updates or posts too much on FB.

My daughter is younger, only 13, and uses FB a lot with her friends.

My wife doesn't use any social networks, just me and the kids.

FWIW, I know several folks that have their log home projects and/or house builds on FaceBook.

Cheers,
Alan
The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

WTB - used sawmill around NorCal/Oregon area

Modat22

My facebook page is pretty much all about my daughter who is now 10 months old and just about ready for her first set of snap-on tools.
remember man that thy are dust.

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

There was a good sized one on the neighbor's lot until they logged everything off exposing it to the bugs. It was 11-1/2 feet in circumference at 6 feet above ground. The city of Fredericton manages their elms for infection, and disease is promptly disposed of. I think they still have 70 % of their elms since the disease showed up.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Toolman

I've connected with some old High School and Army buddies on FB. I don't spend much time on it. I have "web of trust" and a red warning flag came up when I was going to take a quiz. I exited and have'nt tried anymore of them. It has its pros and cons. You just have to use some common sense on those sites. I located a giirl I had the "hots" for back in school. FB made me thankful she turned me down all those years ago  smiley_tom_dizzyguy01 Pretty much what she looks like now :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

firefighter

I am on it also as it states it is asocial network .It is a good way to keep in touch I found a buddie on it we joined the Canadian Army at the same time and when I left he stayed in an it was years since we last talked so it was a good thingto be on Facebook because we may never have go to gether after all thoes years.

Carpenter

Thank God, I'm over 30.  I sure did enjoy my 20's.  I am not on face book.  My wife is though.  I think it has its good points too.  Just like rat poison is 98% good food for the rat, and 2% poison.  I think there is a lot of good in the internet, and 2% bad.  I wonder how mankind existed 6000 years without it?  Sometimes, I wonder if technology is good or if it is hastening the ruination of mankind.  This post actually sounds much worse than I intended it.  So, please take these as philisophical musings worth a grain of salt.

timberfaller390

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on December 01, 2009, 02:11:26 PM
I'm on it because I'm under 30 and it's required by law ;)
I'm under 30 and you couldn't pay me enough to have a facebook or my space.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

moonhill

Our brain are similar to computers they need programing, Facebook is social programing/control.  It is the 2% where the goal or intention is, who purposefully feeds rats, other than in a lab.  There are enough post so far on this thread to make you wonder what direction fb leads to.  I read some where that there is a government connection to these social networking sites.  They were using them for recruiting methods and who know what else.  I don't use it, the FF is dangerous enough for me living on the edge.

I wonder where existentialism comes into play?   I bet they have doctors working on that one.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ncsuclell

I'm on Facebook.  I've been on there since it was only open to college students.  There might already be a few groups for forestry, but you can make one anyway.  I'll join.
"More Prescibed fire means Less Wildfire"
"Good Fires prevent Bad Ones"

Jeff

Not goona happen from the Forestry Forum. Why the heck would we? Why dilute? It would be absurd.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

My kids have tried to interest me in facebook, skype, geni-something - I tell them no thanks I already have Forestry Forum  8)

Since I got FF I don't need dictionaries or encyclopedias anymore either  :P  :D

Todd

I got on it because my girls and wife were on it, but it doesn't get much attention from me. 
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

kburton66

I like it.  I keep in touch with part of my family I hadn't been in touch with, a lot of friends from where we moved a couple of years ago and a lot of the people around the midwest that we dance with who don't belong to an organized group.  You do have to wade through a lot of minutia but I find it handy.  There are a few things you have to learn about it but all you have to do is post your question on facebook.   I would follow a forestry group if there was one. 

thecfarm

It's a tool the younger generations are using to keep up with each other I feel.The wife checks out the DIL face book to see what they are doing.She had her bear kill on there before she called us to tell us about it,a day or 2 later.She said,Well it's on my face book. Sometimes the info is just something to post,but other times it is interesting. I doubt I will ever have one. I just don't have the time. Or I should say I don't want to have the time.Much rather be outside playing in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patty

I am on FaceBook, I really enjoy re-meeting my old friends from high school that I have not seen in 40 years. We share pics of the kids and grandkids. I also have fun conversing with my nieces and nephews who are scattered all over the world. For the first time ever, I feel I know them, and we have fun sharing stories and photos.

I block all the farmville junk and other baloney from there, and only accept messages from my "friends" . It is cool.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Engineer

I'm on FB mostly because I required each of my kids to make me their "friend" so that I could keep track of their online activities.  It was either that, or no computer period.  I am in touch with a few HS and college friends, some members of my Rugby team, some Scouts and their parents, so it's not all bad, but it's generally a time waster.  Certainly no useful content.

Warbird

Yeah, I have an account on facebook.  I constantly consider deleting it or severely cropping my 'friends' list.  I was not as careful as I should have been when adding friends and have had to lock down most of it.  IMO, Facebook is a virus.  It has its uses for keeping in touch with actual family and friends but you have to be extremely careful with it.

As for FF on Facebook, I agree with Jeff.  No point.  This place rocks, as it is.  No need to go messing with something that already works just fine.

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: Warbird on December 07, 2009, 11:17:31 AM
Yeah, I have an account on facebook.  I constantly consider deleting it or severely cropping my 'friends' list.  I was not as careful as I should have been when adding friends and have had to lock down most of it.  IMO, Facebook is a virus.  It has its uses for keeping in touch with actual family and friends but you have to be extremely careful with it.

As for FF on Facebook, I agree with Jeff.  No point.  This place rocks, as it is.  No need to go messing with something that already works just fine.
Interesting...quite different than myself. I intentionally don't have access to my kid's sites so that I don't invade their privacy. We agreed that in the future my son might give me access after he was off to college, but he's off to college and I still don't have or even want access to their sites on Facebook, unless they feel comfortable with it. My daughter is a freshman in high school, I don't have access to her Facebook either.

My kids have grown up around computers their whole lives, no reason to fear them. Best to educate your kids on using them safely, so that they can use them for their benefit.

I keep all the pics and progress of my log home project on Facebook, all of which are too high of resolution to post here.

Quite honestly, I don't see many of the folks on The Forestry Forum using Facebook anyway, I would guess the majority are not very computer savvy...not meant as a dis, just the way I see it, I mean some of you are even on *gasp* dial-up.
The axeman in the twentieth century displaying this determination to find peace and sanity is joined in history to every pioneer who set himself to carving a homestead in a new world.  B.Allan Mackie - "Building with Logs"

beenthere

TT
Lots of luck to you, and to your kids on facebook.

I don't see your methods as good parenting.

And I am on facebook. And I see the dangers. And wish you luck.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: beenthere on December 07, 2009, 11:10:14 PM
I don't see your methods as good parenting.
That's why I was given kids of my own, so that I could do just as I've done, raise them how I see fit! ;)

I'm pretty proud of my son, he's a freshman in UCLA. It is one of the most difficult schools to get in.

For all of the parents who need to be looking over their kids shoulder all the time, learn how to talk to your kids, learn to know them better, and especially learn to trust them.

The irony is that if most kids were to go to a small social network such as The Forestry Forum, most of the same parents that would use it here, would lay a potato in their pants if their kids went to such a small social network...hypocrisy runs rabid in America...

Cheers, and I wish you luck also, cause as they say...it's all good! (my kids say that! :)

isawlogs

Quote from: Traditional Toolworks on December 07, 2009, 10:42:12 PM
I mean some of you are even on *gasp* dial-up.

Some of us are/where on dial up because it is the only thing available/affordable to us to get online ,*GASP*  :-\   I also wish you luck  :P

8 gsp

Marcel

Warbird

Quote from: Warbird on December 07, 2009, 11:17:31 AM

Interesting...quite different than myself. I intentionally don't have access to my kid's sites so that I don't invade their privacy. We agreed that in the future my son might give me access after he was off to college, but he's off to college and I still don't have or even want access to their sites on Facebook, unless they feel comfortable with it. My daughter is a freshman in high school, I don't have access to her Facebook either.

My kids have grown up around computers their whole lives, no reason to fear them. Best to educate your kids on using them safely, so that they can use them for their benefit.

I keep all the pics and progress of my log home project on Facebook, all of which are too high of resolution to post here.

Quite honestly, I don't see many of the folks on The Forestry Forum using Facebook anyway, I would guess the majority are not very computer savvy...not meant as a dis, just the way I see it, I mean some of you are even on *gasp* dial-up.

Yes, that is interesting.  However, you might be surprised at the level of computer skills that are present in these here forums...

I have a different take than you on "kids and privacy".  If they live in my house, they have no real 'right to privacy' from me.  And it is as much for their protection as it is mine.  It depends on the child, of course, especially at the later ages.  It all boils down to the fact that respect and privacy are earned when you live under my roof.  Also, one must always realize that when you go on the internet, you are inviting that element into your home.  Kids do not and cannot fully appreciate this.

As for my post and fearing computers...  again, you would be surprised at who you are talking to.  In my case with Facebook, I was too liberal in 'friending' folks from my ancient past, along with family and current friends.  It has made for an interesting and sometimes volatile mix.  This is what I was referring to.  Fear has nothing to do with it.  My comment that Facebook is akin to a virus was made tongue in cheek.  I see so many people use sites like this to stalk others and I find it troubling.  And then you have these sorts of things going on:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/eff-sues-feds-tell-us-how-you-use-facebook-for-cyberstalking.ars

Remember, you are responsible for what your kid brings into your house.

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: Warbird on December 08, 2009, 12:01:53 AM
Absolutely, and more so in my case...I run the servers for mail, web, and app server. I manage the firewall, and I am the one responsible when the service goes down.

I personally wanted my kids to be smart enough so that when they get an email for a penis extension, they 1) are not totally surprised, and 2) don't react to such scams. I would rather to not have to worry about such with my 13 year old daughter, but it is something that needs to be understood, even for her.

I donated my time for 2 years while my daughter was in kindergarten and 1st grade, to help the kids learn to use computers. My son is off at College now (well, he came home for Winter break tonight), and while he's off at school there is nobody to watch over him, I needed to make certain that he knows how to survive on the inet, so to speak.

And to be honest, the kids can get on computers at the local schools, the library, even at their friend's houses...computers are everywhere and as parents we can't be with them or watch after them 100% of the time. It is best to educate them so they know what to expect, and that way there will be few surprises.

For starters, we have only 1 or 2 computers that even have Windows on them. I have moved my family over to Mac. This eliminates much of the viruses and problems associated with spyware, clicking on some dumb popup, etc...doesn't completely eliminate it, but most of it. My son has a Windows box for gaming, but my wife, son, and daughter all have Macs. All of them have been educated about "phishing", and have had email accounts since young kids. I use UNIX and/or Linux mostly.

I'm not saying what I do with my family would work for others, but this is why we all get to decide what we do. I feel confident that my kids are prepared for the future, which does involve the inet.

Cheers,

asy

I guess I'm a little like Patty and Engineer...

My Daughter is a 'friend' on facebook so I can keep an eye on her. I keep an eye on my son, too, but dont' have him as a friend, he only uses it to play games and the constant game-notices would drive me nuts, but I can see his computer screen from where I sit...  :)

I really only use it to keep in touch with my friends/family in melbourne and some friends overseas. I don't use it for local people that I can pick up a phone and talk to in general.

Mind you, I also have all my 13yo daughter's emails automatically forwarded to my computer so I can see what's going on, but she's pretty good and VERY responsible. I don't usually read them, but they're there if I need to.

I eschew 'groups' as a general rule, am a member of two or three, one of which I'd like to work out how to get rid of (a personality one).  I think a 'FF Group' is a silly idea. As others have said, that's what the FF is for. It'd be doubling up to the n'th degree!

I also have most announcements turned off, like Patty said and I have my privacy settings turned up fairly high. I'm the only person with my name on there!!! (Which is more unusual than you'd think).

One of my friends, who's a teacher, was a little injudicious in whom she friended in her early facebook days and finished up killing her account and now has one under an alias (her Dog's name!). Another person I know just found facebook and immediately got a 'friend request' from her sister, who she isn't friendly with, and suspected she just wanted to make trouble, so it took her a few days of soul searching before deciding to refuse the request. It can bring on angst when things like that happen, but, I guess it's just life.

Sasha (my Son) said something really interesting the other day, he was reading that just ONE week of the New York Times holds more actual information in it than someone in the early 1800's would have had to process in a LIFETIME.

So it's not JUST computers that have to deal with a lot more information input!!!

T-Toolworks,  I sure hope your dial-up comment was made in jest, I read it and re-read it and I thought, in all honesty, it was just a little insulting to some of the members. It sorta made it sound as if they weren't 'smart enough' to be on broadband...  I'm curious, did it occur to you that some areas still don't HAVE broadband? It's sorta a function of living in the bush (mysteriously a lot of FORESTRY people do that) which precludes a fair percentage of people from having cable/broadband, and costs may preclude some from having satellite. I mean, if all you do online is check emails and have a look at the forum, why would you potentially pay ten-fold for internet when you could spend that money on necessities? 

Warbird, I ABSOLUTELY agree with your comment on children's privacy. "You want privacy, I suggest you get a job and your own house". That's always sorta been my motto. I oversee but only interfere when necessary. I do NOT knock on a child's door unless I know they're getting dressed. I CERTAINLY do not knock and stand outside the door waiting to be asked in when we're in an arguement!!! 

Anyway, 'nuff said.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

scsmith42

One of the things that I like the best about the FF is that it represents a good cross-section of people, not only in the US but around the world.  There are probably three things that we all share in common - first an interest in forestry / logging / and-or milling, second by and large the members of the FF are "doers" - i.e. people who do things, as opposed to people who sit on the couch all day, and third "people who are more independent than average, as opposed to people who are dependant upon others".  The average FF member is here because they want to "do" for themselves, and they come here to learn how and seek / share advice.

We run the gamut on backgrounds; from retired or active business executives to truck drivers, from independent business owners to hourly wage-earners, from PhD's to those who were not able to complete school, from loggers to millers to timber-framers, men and women, farmers and lawyers, folks who live in the wilds of Alaska and Australia to folks who live in large cities.  We are bound by our common interests in forestry related or resulting activities.

Personally I find that our variety adds to the strengths of the FF.  When I meet new people, I am personally less interested in where we differ as opposed to what we have in common.  I've found that I can learn as much – and usually more – from the folks that have not had the benefit of extensive formal education or corporate experiences, as opposed to those who do.  And the FF is a great place to learn.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dan_Shade

well said, scsmith42!

the only faction that we're pretty void of around here is snooty people, and I like it that way!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 13, 2009, 10:37:36 AM
well said, scsmith42!

the only faction that we're pretty void of around here is snooty people, and I like it that way!

;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

nas

I used to be snooty, but now I'm perfect ??? :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

I think I left a snoot on my sleeves.  ;D

Norm

Boy Scotts sure nicer than I am as I have little time for pompous egotistical megalomaniacs.....especially the snotty ones. :D

isawlogs

It'll take a while for me to look up and figure out what all you wrote Norm , but I am sure I will agry  :P :D

Marcel

WDH

If I had a Facebook page, which I don't, I would ask how you computer illiterate slow speed folks are doing  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raphael

SWMBO got me into FB about a month ago...  I've connected with a few old friends and a few YouTube friends but primarily I've been sucked into "Vampire Wars" and am wondering where my time has gone.  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on December 13, 2009, 07:36:19 PM
If I had a Facebook page, which I don't, I would ask how you computer illiterate slow speed folks are doing  :)

I don't think I'd be up to the challenge.  I have the patience of about 30 seconds on that stuff. :D :D :D :D :D

Raphael

For those that do have a facebook page, I just got this:

"If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically index all your info on Google, which allows everyone to view it. To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'. Facebook kept this one quiet."
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

asy

Wow, that's a fantastic tip, thanks!

I checked, and I already had it un-ticked, but it was a relief to know it was set right.

Thank you!!!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Raider Bill

This was posted there

"Worried about privacy? Your information is safe.
There have been misleading rumors recently about Facebook indexing all your information on Google. This is not true. Facebook created public search listings in 2007 to enable people to search for your name and see a link to your Facebook profile"

I unclicked it anyway.

Use it to see pix of the grand sons
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

redpowerd

Quote from: Jeff on December 01, 2009, 07:28:09 PM
There are still some monsters around. Usually standing in the middle of a field or somehow isolated from any others. There are two great big ones near Stlawart in the U.P, out in the middle of a near section field that I admire every time we drive by. I'd love to get permission to walk out there and see how big they really are.  From almost a half mile a way they look huge. No mistaking the form.  Sad thing is, that this year I see one of them was dieing out in the top. Looks like the dutch elm has finally found it.

The national champion elm died just a few short years ago, less then an hours drive from our home.  I think if you google Buckley elm it should come up.

i remember you posting about that elm jeff, along with a picture, thats unfortunate that it succomed to the elm disease. i also lost the biggest elm on the farm recently. its strange, the last conversation i had with my grandfather was about that tree and what the log would bring, it died the following spring after he passed.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

breederman

Together we got this !

redpowerd

thanks! ive got plenty of time to internet it up with some kinda pinched nerve in my back. ill hafta post up an update eh?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Warbird

Quote from: redpowerd on December 22, 2009, 11:33:52 AM
i also lost the biggest elm on the farm recently. its strange, the last conversation i had with my grandfather was about that tree and what the log would bring, it died the following spring after he passed.

Hi red.  Your post reminded me of this song: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9YWqjuJMkc

zopi

zynga should program a game.. sawmillville...would be better than farmville..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

H60 Hawk Pilot

FB is Ok but a little too open to the world and has a bunch of junk that get's to me through FB.

I never open anything that has a FB label on it.. unless I know the person 1st.

Also, Never ever open mail from " tagged. "

About 6 months ago, one of my friend's got something from one of his friends and " tagged " went into his data base on his hard drive and then went into mine (hard drive) when I opened his email. It sent out about 150 emails from me, saying that I was their friend and welcome to Tagged.

Some of the emails were with business folks and theu were not happy with me.  I emailed all my frend's and told them to dump Tagged as quickly as possible. I still get some stuff from (tagged) them but never open anything.

Also, I heard that FB will not drop you from their data base.. even if you want this to happen... you are there for ever... so I understand.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Traditional Toolworks

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on December 25, 2009, 12:54:55 PM
FB is Ok but a little too open to the world and has a bunch of junk that get's to me through FB.
Really?

One of the reasons I like Facebook is that it lets me control who can actually see the content. The Forestry Forum doesn't allow for that, and the whole world can see your folders.

Might be a moot point for you folks, but I prefer to have the keys to my data, and not just give the keys to someone who believe their morals are the best.

SwampDonkey

I'll tell ya one thing, there's lots of stuff you can't see in here. ;D But, for anyone in the spirit of the way things are done around here, we know what is appropriate in the way of images and the written word for the majority of users of this forum. If your the owner of a site you get final call. Like telling someone to leave the house when you feel offended by their vile behaviour. ;D If you want to hide your stuff, you just don't post it on a forum. Seems an easy concept to me. Other than that, I can only assume your talking about something like taking part in risque content via literature, photo and video swapping, rampant on some of those sites. Certainly, no one here is displaying personal financial information before public eyes. As far as the keys, it's Jeff's site and he and the Admins run it. It's not a blog site or a spot to park a web page, although Jeff does do web designs. But, I think it's up to the client to find a host for the page. I can't remember if Jeff allows for any hosting since it takes bandwidth, thus is a cost. Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of that post was other than to agitate someone. Maybe not. I'll leave it at that.

Mooseherder

Maybe that was a parting cheap shot.  :D
Enjoy Facebook.  smiley_tom_dizzyguy03

Paul_H

That would make for a happy new year ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

I'm on dial-up, not smart enough to come up with that one.  :-\

beenthere

To compare Facebook to the FF, would be like allowing anyone to read the personal messages sent back and forth (now in private on FF).

When I get on Facebook, reading PM's is what I feel like I am doing, and akin to picking up the old multi-party telephone and listening in on the neighbors' conversations. Just doesn't seem right. So I don't use it to chit-chat.

Sorry TT, can't buy into your argument.  :)
south central Wisconsin

isawlogs

I am far from being the most litterite on here , but , how the hell can you compare facebook to this or any forum .... You control sweetf..k all on facebook , they change the settings on there , then tell ya if you dont like it , go change them back .  ::) If its a blog you need to express yourself , by all means start one up and open your book to whom ever you want . I don't need to compare notes between it and here  ;)

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Sweet what? Oh, nothings. You crack me up Marcel. :D

Nothing like, "tell it like it is" Cronkite. ;D

Jeff

Quote from: Traditional Toolworks on December 26, 2009, 12:39:45 PM
Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on December 25, 2009, 12:54:55 PM
Really?

One of the reasons I like Facebook is that it lets me control who can actually see the content. The Forestry Forum doesn't allow for that, and the whole world can see your folders.

Might be a moot point for you folks, but I prefer to have the keys to my data, and not just give the keys to someone who believe their morals are the best.

Well, I just got home to a bunch more complaints from Forestry Forum members about your holier then though attitude and continued condescending remarks about the Forestry Forum website and its membership. With that, I have had enough. I've always said that the Forestry Forum is an extension of my home, and any kind of action done that would cause you to be unwelcome in my home by me or my family, will cause you to be unwelcome on the Forestry Forum and vise versa. You have reached that point. You are no longer welcome on my website and you are banned with those facts. Good Bye.

Jeff

Oh, I forgot, you are banned. You can't read this.

isawlogs

:D :D :D :D
Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2009, 03:50:13 PM
Oh, I forgot, you are banned. You can't read this.
:D :D :D :D :D  Sheesh I was just getting started , but thanks .  ;)

Marcel

Jeff

Just for the record for those reading this. The fore mentioned individual has had several instances of what we as admins consider inappropriate conduct on the Forestry Forum. Much of which was removed or taken behind the scenes. It usually takes quite a bit to get removed from this forum as for the most part, we usually try to give multiple chances. At some point though, it just becomes the best for the Forum to say Tah Tah!  :)

Warbird

Wow.  This guy is a know-it-all drama queen.  I should have brought some popcorn back from the movie theater.

He is also deluded if he thinks any of his data on Facebook is secure.  Even with the new 'security measures' they recently implemented.   ::) 

Merry Christmas, Jeff!  :)

BcWoodWorks

I'm also a facebook know it all, but I think i can go about my points way better than said banned dude.

The fact of the matter is, a Forum board; and a flash oriented social networking site are apples and oranges.

People go onto facebook for networking, not for information gathering or project posting. The problem with facebook is that your information isn't secure...but think about that for a second. What information are people worried about? Are they posting credit card numbers and home addy's to their profile, and enabling the "everyone can view" option?

What Mr.Banned forgot to mention, is that we DO have keys to our privacy. It's called the choice to upload or not.

I want the world to see my projects, my name, and my basic information. If you don't probably shouldn't join facebook.

Finally - Facebook - 356 MILLION members
          - Forestry Forum - 6,776 members.

Apples and oranges dude.

However, if any of the admins have any interest in setting up a facebook page to bring more visitors in...I'd be happy to create and manage it.

-Alec
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Jeff

Not interested what-so-ever.  I'm fully capable if that is what I wanted to do.

I don't advertise to the world, because when you do, you get the world. From the beginning the Forum was by word of mouth and invitation and by someone searching for us if they need us. That is why we have the quality of membership we have.  Those that are of like mind or interest have the means to eventually find us.  We don't want the whole world here.

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2009, 05:30:44 PMThose that are of like mind or interest have the means to eventually find us.  We don't want the whole world here.

smiley_clapping

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2009, 05:30:44 PM
Not interested what-so-ever.  I'm fully capable if that is what I wanted to do.

I don't advertise to the world, because when you do, you get the world. From the beginning the Forum was by word of mouth and invitation and by someone searching for us if they need us. That is why we have the quality of membership we have.  Those that are of like mind or interest have the means to eventually find us.  We don't want the whole world here.

Sorry, Jeff. I didn't mean to insult your capabilities. I merely wanted to offer my free-time in case you did.

Didn't even think about that side of it. I'll take my geek hat off and go eat some breakfast.  ;D
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Jeff

QuoteSorry, Jeff. I didn't mean to insult your capabilities. I merely wanted to offer my free-time in case you did.

I know that. :)

scsmith42

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2009, 04:39:05 PM
Just for the record for those reading this. The fore mentioned individual has had several instances of what we as admins consider inappropriate conduct on the Forestry Forum. Much of which was removed or taken behind the scenes. It usually takes quite a bit to get removed from this forum as for the most part, we usually try to give multiple chances. At some point though, it just becomes the best for the Forum to say Tah Tah!  :)

This reminds me of a line from "The Guardian", where Kevin Costner's character said "Save the ones you can - the others you just gotta let go". 

TT dug his own grave.  As we used to say in Texas... "AMF"
  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ronwood

Your best members are those to try to find the forum or invited. Lets keep it that way. Thanks for all the hard work Jeff.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

H60 Hawk Pilot

I See that the ... Lead (Jeff) Membership has Vote'd !

With lot's of 2nd's, Here's my 2nd as Well !

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Warbird

Quote from: Warbird on December 08, 2009, 12:01:53 AM
Yes, that is interesting.  However, you might be surprised at the level of computer skills that are present in these here forums...

I have a different take than you on "kids and privacy".  If they live in my house, they have no real 'right to privacy' from me.  And it is as much for their protection as it is mine.  It depends on the child, of course, especially at the later ages.  It all boils down to the fact that respect and privacy are earned when you live under my roof.  Also, one must always realize that when you go on the internet, you are inviting that element into your home.  Kids do not and cannot fully appreciate this.

As for my post and fearing computers...  again, you would be surprised at who you are talking to.  In my case with Facebook, I was too liberal in 'friending' folks from my ancient past, along with family and current friends.  It has made for an interesting and sometimes volatile mix.  This is what I was referring to.  Fear has nothing to do with it.  My comment that Facebook is akin to a virus was made tongue in cheek.  I see so many people use sites like this to stalk others and I find it troubling.  And then you have these sorts of things going on:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/eff-sues-feds-tell-us-how-you-use-facebook-for-cyberstalking.ars

A follow up to this whole deal:  This is a recent article by USA Today.  It sums up many of my views on Facebook.  What it leaves out are the negative repercussions that many folks, especially kids, are clueless about.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2010-02-10-1Asocialbacklash10_CV_N.htm

I am likely going to delete my FB account soon.  The amount of data mining available that is accessible to the world, and beyond my control, is just too much.  I am willing to share my life with folks but it will be in a venue such as "real life" or here at the FF.

Thank You Sponsors!