iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trailer axles

Started by SteveS, May 02, 2003, 11:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveS

I have about decided to build me a trailer, and I am wondering if yall think I should but 2 brake axles on it or if one would be ok. The trailer will be around a 16-ft flatbed with 5200lb axles, and the brakes would be electric. The only thing I have to pull it with at the time is a half-ton pickup. It will be used for lumber and logs.What do yall think?
Thanks

ohsoloco

I'd go with two brake axles.   The 16ft. trailer I have has brakes on both, and even with a jag of logs or lumber on the trailer I don't like going down the mountains too much (I'm also pulling with a 1/2 ton pickup).

DanG

Definitely have brakes on both, especially with the half-ton truck. It probably wouldn't be legal in most states to just have'em on one axle, any more.  After you've built your 5 ton trailer, you'll want to be shopping around for something to pull it with. You really need a one-ton to utilize the trailer's capabilities.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

DanG good advice, DanG. How's yer Pine cuttin project going?? Get it finished?? We start on about 25-30 Pine logs Monday morning.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Two brakes and when you have a heavy load on ya might wanna stick your foot out the door as well. I've scared myself many times going down hill and it sure aint no fun when ya can't stop!
  When I had the 1 ton that was ideal for pulling but it sure sucked the fuel.
  Oh yeah don't get sucked into surge brakes as they won't work for you.

Steve

solidwoods

There is only one time to think about how many brakes you should have put on a trailer .  
When you need them. ;D
JIM

I like that little smiley face guy, He looks Chineese
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Haytrader

We DonT need brakes on both out here on the flat, do you up there Mark?

:D  :D

Years ago when I was running older trucks, I came up to an intersection with a semi load of hay and found I had no brakes. Looked one direction and a work over rig was coming. Looked the other direction and a school bus was coming. I was hookin gears and pullin the emergency handle and sweatin bad. When I finally got stopped on the other side of the intersection, barely missing both vehicles, I was shakin so bad I had a hard time changin my jeans.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!