iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for the right equipment

Started by zak1983, July 15, 2012, 12:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zak1983

Hi all- I recently bought 55 acres in breckenridge colorado, and im having a difficult time figuring out what kind of equipment I need. Would be awesome to get some feedback.

The land is awfully wooded- filled with colorado lodgepine & I'd say about a quarter of it is dead (colorado beetle). The land is pretty steep, but for the most part it's all accessible via the driveway (driveway goes through it). My plan is to thin out areas around the house for fire mitigation & to also clear out all of the dead trees. I'm going to leave some dead trees where they are, but plan to stack them up in one area, cut in to more manageable poles. I'd like to eventually use some of that wood to make timber for some projects.

Anyway- here are my  needs/wants & in many cases they may not be related, but I want to put them out there so I can get recommendations. BTW, I have a john deere gator & a jeep rubicon with a m8274 warn winch, which has been helpful so far.

- Snow plowing/blowing on a 1 mile driveway- extreme snow
- Need to be able to load multiple logs on a trailer or some efficient way of getting the logs to one area on property
- Something capable of helping to remove numerous stumps
- A front loader would be handy, but not required

I've had recommenations for a tractor. May be the way to go, but I'm pretty worried about turning the thing over. May not be warranted, but that's what's held me up. What I'm thinking makes sense is finding a used F-250, getting a snow blade & logging trailer with a loader, since I could use the truck for numerous things outside of the property. Also thinking maybe just a backhoe with a trailer & loader?

Would be awesome to get your alls thoughts

Thanks

thecfarm

I have no idea how wide your driveway is,but every time you plow it narrows in some with a pick up I feel. I know someone that has about a mile driveway. Each year he would have to hire someone with a loader to push back the snow for him. I finally conviced him to get a snow blower and he is some happy with it. I have done about 1500' with my snow blower one winter. Most times I only do my driveway,but wanted to keep the woods road open all one winter. I could use a trailer/loader too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

a dozer. 100 times better on steep ground than a wheel tractor. if its not to rocky or ledge. can root stumps out. will push a lot of snow . 450 or 550 deere or d3 or d4 cat

zak1983

Will a dozer help me stack logs? That's my biggest problem- stacking logs in one area, so need something with a grapple. Not opposed to two pieces of equipment btw.

Dixie Feller

A good tractor is almost a must have item if you own several acres of land.A tractor w/ a skidding winch and FEL w/ a grapple bucket and bush hog would be nice.Then find you an older J.D. front end loader for clearing,moving snow,stacking and skidding logs.You always need a good 4x4 pick up too.I know those things cost money though,but if that's what I use.I do make money w/ my equipment as well though.
Husqvarna 371xp,372xp,288xp(ported and  muf mod)338xpt,51,350,Jonsered 2065,2165.Homelite 330(Dad's old paper wood saw)Stihl HT100,HT101.John Deere 5310 4x4 w/ FEL,Deere 4025 4x4 w/ FEL,Ford 2810 w/FEL.Woodmizer LT-40.'03 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax,'93 chevy 2500 4x4 and several trailer

snowstorm

Quote from: zak1983 on July 16, 2012, 07:48:14 AM
Will a dozer help me stack logs? That's my biggest problem- stacking logs in one area, so need something with a grapple. Not opposed to two pieces of equipment btw.
i have been out in your part of the country. some of the ground only a billy goat can climb. a dozer will be way better. pilling logs no. building roads plowing big snow skidding on steep ground yes. everybody pushes you towards a farm tractor. but have they ever been to the rockies?

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on July 16, 2012, 07:14:52 PM
Quote from: zak1983 on July 16, 2012, 07:48:14 AM
i have been out in your part of the country. some of the ground only a billy goat can climb. a dozer will be way better. piling logs no. building roads plowing big snow skidding on steep ground yes. everybody pushes you towards a farm tractor. but have they ever been to the rockies?
I would go with both! Yard the wood with the crawler and put tongs on the tractor to stack it with! Make sure you got some grousers on your tracks to help from sliding !
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

zak1983

Would a track loader dozer with a grapple give me what I want? - good in steep terrain, load loads, snow, etc?

Thank You Sponsors!