iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need A Forester From Southren Minnesota.

Started by Stephannie, April 23, 2001, 08:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephannie

::)

Man this is Hard Work!
I have contacted many people and it seems that a Forester probably won't come out here because our trees are in the yard so to speak,

But today I spoke with the DNR and he said to get a forester and or a logger here to check out these trees.
Is it worth paying the fee for them when we only have 60 Trees.

We figured we have about 3220 board per feet within 35 of our trees.
We have some people interested in just coming and looking at them and they would cut them down, and give us some money.

Really were not looking to get rich, but if their work something then a little money doesn't hurt.

We have people that have Mills and do wood work stuff that are interested. Any suggestions we should do next?

Is it legal to just cut down the trees and sell them? Without a Forester Involved?

Please if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

If anybody knows of a forester or logger in Southren Minnesota Please let me know.

Thank you.
Stephannie Langager :)

Jeff

Note: Stephannie's post is referring to her previous post about the walnut trees for sale.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I'm not sure which tree scale you used (Doyle, Scribner or International).  It appears that your trees are probably around 14-16" in diameter.  Bigger if you scaled them as only one log.

That's not a really large tree.  I assume that the other 25 trees are under 12".

To give you an idea of how much your 3220 bf is, it is about 1 truckload.

How much of a fee are we talking about?  Most foresters and loggers don't charge fees, unless they feel there isn't much work.  If a fee is involved, I would make it refundable if there is any futher work.

I'm getting the picture that you are clearing these trees out of your yard, or relatively close to your house.  These will be more difficult to fell.  Be well aware that there will be a pile of tops left over whenver they are done, and there may be some damage where logs are skidded out.

Is any future management a goal or is it land clearing?  If management is not an objective, let anyone come who wants to.  Let them make an offer.  Best offer wins.

I am not from Minnesota, but, in most areas, you can cut whatever tree you want without the input of a forester.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

It sounds like you may have something more than a forest land commercial harvest. If these are yard trees near buildings and homes, it will be much more difficult to have a commercial harvest with any profit.

You should also contact a Tree Service Company and see what they say if these are residential trees. They may salavage the logs to offset any fees charged for the falling, trimming, bucking, etc.

Where in southern Minnesota do you live? It seems hard to find a consulting forester there.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!