iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30" hookaroon about right?

Started by ksks, November 24, 2013, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Yup, I think that would be the best use for a hookaroon or a pickaroon Lynn.

I don't do firewood, so for me that is out of the equation!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

turnkey

Quote from: beenthere on November 27, 2013, 04:58:56 PM
turnkey
QuoteBend over to roll a round over to the splitter?  Need to move rounds over to the truck to load?  Hookeroon.  Bend over to pick up your small limbing saw?  Hookeroon.  In a word most of the stuff you bend over to pick up can be done with a hookeroon.  In fact when 'wooding' I find I bend over about 1/2 as much as I used to.

At least borrow one to try out - you'll be sold the first time you use it.  I used mine once and swore anyone trying to take it away would be in for a fight :)

Harry K
So I am wondering, where do you store or keep the hookeroon so it is always handy to pick things up?
Am sure you don't have to bend down to pick it up first ;)  Sounds like you keep it pretty handy all the time.
Maybe have a holster for it ?

It hangs on something where I'm working or at least leans against something.  I have actually walked 50' to retrieve rather than bend over and roll a round over to the splitter.  Today I was loading rounds into a trailer to move to a splitting area.  Rather than bend over to set the sstuff on the ground on end for easy pickup, I walked about 15 ft around the rick I was loading from to get it. 

The day I went 'wooding' and found the hookeroon was missing off the truck was "painful".  I distinctly remember using it the day befor unloading and proably put it on top of the cab while I was unloading small stuff in the bed - must have fallen off on my way out to the cutting site.  I ordered another one as soon as I got back to the house.

I don't think anyone who has used one would ever be without again.

Harry K

Dusty Rhodes

I have to add a +1 to Harry K.  Once you use one you are hooked.. Pun intended.  Don't know exactly how useful they are around the mills but for firewood duty it is a back saver.  As suggested for moving rounds and splits even rolling small logs.  I unload the truck with one and if I am moving firewood off the stacks an into the loader bucket of the tractor the pickeroon is the tool I use.  Mine is a 30" Peavey.  I also have a homemade one with a little smaller head.  I am going to modify that one to use for taking rounds out of the truck, just need to put a long handle on it.  Just be careful if you are swinging towards yourself that you do not miss what you are aiming for and bury the tip in your leg... OUCH.

turnkey

Quote from: Dusty Rhodes on December 03, 2013, 09:38:38 PM
I have to add a +1 to Harry K.  Once you use one you are hooked.. Pun intended.  Don't know exactly how useful they are around the mills but for firewood duty it is a back saver.  As suggested for moving rounds and splits even rolling small logs.  I unload the truck with one and if I am moving firewood off the stacks an into the loader bucket of the tractor the pickeroon is the tool I use.  Mine is a 30" Peavey.  I also have a homemade one with a little smaller head.  I am going to modify that one to use for taking rounds out of the truck, just need to put a long handle on it.  Just be careful if you are swinging towards yourself that you do not miss what you are aiming for and bury the tip in your leg... OUCH.

I made me an 8' one so Icould hook that last pile of rounds in the front of the bed.

[img width=550 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/firewooding%20aids/006-12.jpg[/img]

[img width=550 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/firewooding%20aids/004.jpg[/img]

8' closet pole, a compression fitting (Dressler coupling) from the plumbing fittings and a hunk of 1/2" allthread.

That coupling gives just enough weight out there and the handles is light but stiff enough.  Copied the 'hook' on the spike from the LogRite.  The only time I crawl up in the bed now is to unload the small (no split) stuff.

Harry K

beenthere

turnkey

Follow this thread link for posting pics. It'll help you where you need it. Give a shout if you get hung up at all.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

turnkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 04, 2013, 02:17:29 AM
turnkey

Follow this thread link for posting pics. It'll help you where you need it. Give a shout if you get hung up at all.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Thanks.  I even knew about that requirement but had forgotten.  I'll give that a try and put up a test post later.

Harry K

ReggieT

Quote from: ReggieT on November 25, 2013, 02:09:48 AM
Hmm....
Just bought & used 60' aluminum LogRite today...turning some Black Locust...came in mighty handy especially being by myself.
First time using my newly acquired Stihl 034 w/chisel...it tore through a 2-3 yr old downed black locust pretty good...only saw 2 sparks fly! :D
I'm impressed with the saw...although coming from a Poulan 5020 Pro...I guess should be, with such limited point of reference.

THE BAD: My lower back starting cramping & spasming like I had been layin/toting bricks for 10 hrs...and I only did one freaking log...Geez...I must be bad outta shape...or maybe my potassium is low again...hmm.
Any way it caused me to cut a trail to the house and leave 12 footer still chilling on the ground...that wood was a tad heavier bucked, than I had calculated...

I WILL GET THAT OTHER BL LOG...REGARDLESS!  ;D

CTYank

About the PP5020 reference, chain filing skills are essential, as is the carb-adjusting tool. Apples/oranges, y'know.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ReggieT

Quote from: CTYank on December 08, 2013, 07:49:06 AM
About the PP5020 reference, chain filing skills are essential, as is the carb-adjusting tool. Apples/oranges, y'know.
I'm cognizant of that... :snowball:

Stinny

Reggie... I can relate to your back issue for sure. The days of bending and lifting things like  your "laying bricks for 10 hours" are long behind me. If I pay attention (not often) I can usually regulate my after effect issues by taking longer to get "lifts" done using gear or just slowing down. But not always. I'll do something, usually after doing too much bending & lifting over a few days, and the back will go into that full spasm. Takes me 2-4 days of lying flat and not bending or lifting at all, to get right again. Like many, I'm carrying too much weight in the gut and my back never gets a break, so I know how I can help the issue a little. Gotta stop lifting that fork so much...

If I go negative though, I just remember a poor guy I drove to the hospital years ago. I was a volunteer ambulance driver and we'd gone to a call where a 30 year old guy was down and really hurting, in his backyard. He appeared to be in good physical shape, and had been trying to unload a snowmobile off a trailer. He said he bent his knees and lifted straight up and just blacked out and collapsed. We heard later, his lower back/discs had blown out very badly. Had to pry my fingers off the steering wheel, when we got to the ER, from grabbing it so hard listening to him howl all the way in. I literally crawled over every hump/bump/pot hole on the roads, but it still just killed him at every movement. I never want to be in his shoes if I can help it.

Good luck with your back... and go easy. 
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

ReggieT

That would be my dilemma as well...too much overtime round the table!
YIKES...about that guy...miss me on that...thanks for the "inspiration"...I guess! lol

ksks

Quote from: ksks on November 24, 2013, 11:20:05 PM
Looks like that's what I need.  We'll see what Santa says!

Thanks guys.

Santa said yes!!!
Striving to be average!

turnkey

Quote from: ksks on December 29, 2013, 09:59:23 AM
Quote from: ksks on November 24, 2013, 11:20:05 PM
Looks like that's what I need.  We'll see what Santa says!

Thanks guys.

Santa said yes!!!

Great!  Put it to use and let us know how you like it.

Harry K

LAZERDAN

Just got a 36" Logrite Hookaroon for christmas   from no. 1 daughter (love it )   Sawed and split a cord of wood last night ( -10  I think I froze the daughters boyfriend, but he stuck with it to the end.) Well anyway, we load in a 12' wagon and the 36" Logrite is not long enough to hook all the wood out. Here's my Question: Has anyone made a spike end for your yellow handle pole saw fiberglass trimmer poles.  They snap together for different attachments ,saw, sand bag sling shot etc.  I don"t think I have ever saw them anywhere
Thanks Lazerdan   

stumper

I have not seen anything like that but the make pick poles in all lengths.

Stinny

Hey Reggie... I guess I shoulda paid more attention to my post above about "not wanting to ever be in that guy's shoes" Not quite a month later, Dec 5th, I found an even better way to enjoy back pain. Took a decent flop off some steps (icy) and landed on my back and upper right side. After many years of "showing off" my crash skills, I finally really did it. Knocked the wind out of me hard. When I got up, I knew this was going to be very different. After X-rays and 3 weeks... nothing broken, ripped muscles away from my pelvis in the back (that was the worst), tore up all of my right side muscles. I could hardly walk with lots of people helping at first. Slept upright sitting on the bed leaning on the back of a chair for the 1st 2 nights, moved to upright on the couch for 2 weeks... finally got so I could lie on my sides about 3 days ago. Much better today and even got downstairs to tend my wood stove. I missed it.

Life is good... again. Wood stoves can do that...

thecfarm

Stinny,that is too bad. Last year,when everything was ice,I was walking my woods road, that was just about all ice with a friend and his GD. We walked down and was walking part. I was heading for some snow to get off the ice. Never made it. I think my whole body went up in the air 6 feet, :D and came straight down. I laid there for a minute. I was fine,but headed for the house. My walk was done for that day.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stinny

cFarm... When I think about the number of times I've crashed and burned over the years, this one time really got my attention. Worse thing about it is I watched the railing all the way down thinking it might have been good to have grabbed it... maybe next time.

Magicman

Wow Stinny, that hurt just reading about it.  I hope your recovery goes well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stinny

Thanks Magicman. Yep, I'm much better today and sitting down in front of the wood stove right now, with the Mac on my lap. Life is good once again. Can't wait to see what I get into next...

Thank You Sponsors!