iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

track steer

Started by slider, December 16, 2017, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

Anyone using a track steer mulcher ? I am looking add one to our tree business . Looking at a used terex pt110 ,1400 hrs,fecon mulcher . The machine is not a pt110f forestry model .Anyone in the business.
al glenn

nativewolf

Can be a nice addition and generates revenue from existing clients (so the expense and trouble of finding work is much reduced).

I'm not a fan of the skidsteer mulchers, I find they lack the power of a dedicated machine and even the slowest dedicated machine will outwork the best skidsteer.  Down in Georgia, south GA that is, it should be possible to run more machines choices due to almost no rock at all.Gyro-Trac would work for you and you can get them used for less than a machine with an FAE head like a CMI.  CMI machine with an FAE head is a cadillac solution.  An excavator with a dennis cimaf head can also be pretty *DanG impressive but you need huge flow. 

Gyro Trac and Dennis Cimaf are not great solutions in rocky soil so your location is opening up more options.

Lets see...there were some Rayco machines that had bad engine in mid 2000s, nearly killed Rayco (deutz engines I think). 

Fecon makes a nice machine, Rayco's newer ones are ok.  Hmm Lamtrac also nice. 

Another option is to put the mulching head on a tigercat, Plenty of power! 

I hear bad things about the primetech machines

Avoid anything with curved glass cabs. 

hydraulic power and cooling are the keys to success so plan on lots of maint.  If you skimp at all you can get fires or poor performance which stresses the system so something breaks.  Keep knives sharp if you go with knives. 

Liking Walnut

Gearbox

The logging co. ran that same machine brushing logging roads . About 8 hrs.  Before the dust and chafe would plug the air flow to the coolers and start to over heat oil . Back to shop to wash the coolers and cabin air filter . Just for your info when figuring your cost . I think all brands would do the same thing .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

pine

I have a PT110 Forestry with a Fecon Head.  It is a monster.  Lots of folks worry about overheating.  I don't live in 110F areas but I have never seen the hydraulic, coolant or air temps even come close to overheat levels.  There are three monitored temps that the system constantly monitors.  45 gpm runs the fecon head well.  I would, from my experience, be afraid of running a non forestry model in the woods.  Not just the safety aspects but the cage helps protect you from yourself as you maneuver.  If I was only running heavy brush maybe but if there are any tree in the area you want the forestry model.

slider

Thanks for the replies . Pine the cage on the pt110 and the pt100f appear the same. From what i can see the difference is that the forestry model has a reversible hydraulic fan that reduces clogging .
al glenn

pine

Not withstanding the value of the reversing fan (I actually thought it was on the PT110 vanilla as well) I would not want to mulch without it.  It is important to keep the airflow going and thus keep the machine from overheating.

Maybe I am wrong about the cage and the PT-110 vanilla but:
I just pulled my operating manual out and looked at the specs.  The weight of the PT-110F is 1000 lbs more than the PT-110 and the length is 6 inches longer the width is 5.5 inches wider.  Don't know what else could account for the dimension difference other than the cage.  The weight difference seems high for just the cage so maybe the vanilla version doesn't have the heavy belly plates either.  If there are no heavy duty belly plates in the vanilla PT-110 I would not use it for the described purpose.  Can't forget about the protection that those heavy belly plates provide.  More importantly they prevent debris from getting up in the engine bay and elsewhere and the number of CTL fires that get going while doing this work from debris in the engine compartment are large.  Most of us check and clean out the compartment  frequently.
The PT110 also comes with a choice of track widths 18" and 20" where the PT110F only comes in 20" to keep ground compaction very low.  Important for forestry soil health.
PT 110 may not (option) have the high flow hydraulics for mulching where the PT110F will.

When I was looking I saw PT110 pictures without the cage and presumed they were the PT-110 vanilla.

If I have time I will look up my original brochures and see if they have any more detail. 
If the unit you are looking at fits what you are looking for, then go for it.  I would just caution that the forestry model was designed and built purposefully for the job of hooking up a Fecon, FAE, or Denis Cimaf mulcher.  If ASV had not thought it necessary to build a modified model they would not have done so.  It is different enough that it is not a retro fit thing that can be done to turn a PT110 into a PT110F

slider

Thank you pine .You have been very helpful.

We are just trying to get this right before we decide which machine or brand to purchase.

Some of the terminology is new to me.

We are looking for one with low hrs and the right head is important. Fecon seems to be a good head but the others i'm not sure about. Any suggestions here would be helpful.
al glenn

Mooseherder

I think member redprospector also has a couple mulching units.  He probably hasn't seen this thread yet.

slider

Thanks Mooseherder. I would like to hear from him.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!