iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The mill has landed

Started by RPowers, October 03, 2013, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

Drove up to MO to pick up my new LT28G25 yesterday. Got setup this morning and started in on the whack of logs I've been piling up for months now. Sawdust never smelled so good!

Most of what I have is Red Oak that has been hit hard by drought and borers, some has been standing dead a long time before I dropped it.

But it still looks nice on the inside.

Here is about half of today's progress.

I'm still figuring out the mill, so hopefully things will become more efficient with time. Most of today's wood was cut 4/4 for either rough siding or porch decking. Thanks for the info, and for looking.

RP
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

justallan1

If you had a rough time sleeping last night, good luck getting any tonight! ;D
Nice looking log.

Allan

isawlogs

There will be some nice boards come from them logs, may I give you a little advice?  Well wether or not you want it , you're going to get it anyways... ;D  On the second pictue, you hav a log with a big ol crack in it, if you where to put that crack so that it would be parrallel to a cut, you would be able to cut it out ( if it don't spirral) once you  get to it, it would only affect a board or two, as you have it there, it is in many.

Marcel   ;)  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

Nice lookin' mill and lumber too!

Congratulations.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Congrad's   , nice mill. Isawlogs beat me to the advice about the crack.   Stece
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Contrats on the new WM.   smiley_thumbsup

On a particular log, if you plan on rotating 90° with each face opening, always stand the "crack up" on the initial face opening.  That way, the log/crack will be horizontal on the final saw through as isawlogs stated.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom L

congrats on the new mill, just looking at that log clamp makes my right shoulder hurt.
are you working by yourself or do you have a helper.

the 28 is a nice mill

thecfarm

Now you can say you are a sawyer.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

Well just the other day I visited the thriving metropolis of Japton.  Big auction at Mosey Creek Woodworking.  Came home with a whole truck load of machinery.  Must be all of 10 folks living there.

I got a call this morning from a customer that has several loads of logs for me to saw.  He said one load will be logs from the ice storm in 09.  I imagine they will look quite similar to the log you pictured.

Looks like you have a new sawyer in training there.  That's the way to start em out. :) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

RPowers

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words, gents. My arms are more sore than they've been in a while. After milling all day yesterday I went and helped a friend do a tree removal job where we cut down 3 medium to large trees and hand-loaded them onto trailers. I'm wore out!

On that particular log, it had heart rot right up the middle and big checks going perpendicular across it, so there really wasn't any way to keep the junk in just one or two boards. I did get a couple really nice, think FAS, boards from it, and then alot of ones that will give sections of good wood between the bad. The heart was full of carpenter ants.

One of the trees we removed today was an American Holly, and I took the butt 7' home to mill as the rest was too dotey. That is some soft white wood! It was maybe 12" on the stump.

Larry, if you ever get around this way again you'll have to look me up. I almost went to that auction, but was just coming off of a 48hr  shift and just wanted to get home that morning. Plus with the mill coming I didn't have any money to spend anyway, so it would've been painful to see all the stuff and not be able to get any of it. I hope you got some good deals.

2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Magicman

Sometimes you just have to keep turning and sawing.  You get the "jacket" lumber from all sides possible leaving only the rotten heart.  And then there are those logs that yield no usable lumber.  Every log is an individual unto itself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jacki

You folks with the small sawmills, $3,000.00...do you have any problems with accuracy?

Magicman

Hello Jacki, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

isawlogs

Quote from: Jacki on October 05, 2013, 03:28:29 AM
You folks with the small sawmills, $3,000.00...do you have any problems with accuracy?

Jacki, thats a somewhat loaded question, my dad has a used mill that was paid in that general area money wise, we adjusted it and looked it over and it cuts fine lumber.
  I have yet to see a mill that once was adjusted and tuned not cut wood as well as the big lads, it might not cut as much, but they will cut fine lumber .

Marcel
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Jacki,welcome to the forum. I suppose you mean a new mill? Depends on what you are doing with it and how you treat it too. I doubt those $3000 mill would saw lumber all day long,day after day. And I doubt they would take to dropping a log on the rails too well either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jacki.
The only time I've noticed a problem with accuracy it was my fault not the mills.

Allan

MRowsh

Contrats on the new WM.

I learned few things from all the good comments. Thanks much.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

RPowers

Due to other obligations I've only had a couple full days to run the mill. I really like it. The difference in cutting speed between a sharp and dull blade is something I've picked up on. They really slow the feed through the cut down when they dull. The blade that came with the mill was diving on it's second cut at WM, so they gave me another, I'm hoping it is a set issue that the first ReSharp trip will fix. One complaint I have is there is no hour meter on the Kohler. Have any of yall installed an add-on meter to keep up?
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

thecfarm

I can also tell by the sound of a blade too if it sharp or dull. Seems  like someone had a manaul mill,like a woodland mill,and put a hour meter on it.

Nomad

Putting an hour meter on a mill is easy and cheap.  It was the first thing I did when I bought a Norwood some years ago.  I highly recommend it.
     But don't use hours to decide when to change a band.  Feel it, listen to it, and see how it cuts.  Hours don't tell the whole story.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

clww

Congratulations on your new mill, RPowers. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Just another note if you don't get an answer in a few days,start a topic titled add on hour meter. We all don't read every post.  ;D

47sawdust

I just installed a SenDec hour meter/tachometer on my 24 hp Honda.Simple installation registers both hours and rpms.
$46.00 on ebay.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

RPowers

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm also looking into putting some 12v led lights on the mill for night milling. I think the regulator on the Kohler has extra spade pins for 12v accessories.
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Thank You Sponsors!