iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring, Kaswell edge/blocks

Started by MbfVA, October 05, 2017, 07:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MbfVA

Wondering if anyone has ever used products from this company:

http://kaswell.com

Of course my real question is what do you think of that type of flooring  with regard to producing it with the trees and equipment many of us have?  It seems like it might be doable without tongue and groove for example.

You're responding to a guy here who has 175 acres of woods and treats it like it's free, which goes against my "opportunity cost" training as a CPA of course.   It is however an easy trap fall into.

I was already contemplating using very thick oak boards for flooring when I saw this site.   We want a nice quiet floor, one that feels really solid.

Would it be better to use end grain lumber, or blocks?  Seems like drying of the lumber would be less of an issue if the boards were glued together with the grain oriented vertically rather than horizontally (more typical), almost like "artificial quartersawn".

The kaswell offerings remind me of what I saw in the old tobacco plants in Richmond, Virginia years ago. Of course they had a lot of money  from selling their high-margin deadly products and labor was cheaper then.

One thing I noticed walking around was that it is extremely quiet-- probably a significant factor with noisy tobacco processing equipment. This goes far beyond the old Parquet flooring  that stands out in 1950s style houses in the US.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Thank You Sponsors!