iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would this be silly or what??

Started by Neil_B, June 08, 2003, 03:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

Been pondering this though for a while so thought I would get everyone's opinion. This is my backhoe

It's a '92 Massey Ferguson 50H with extend-a-boom. I've been contemplating getting a rotator and grapple for the hoe figuring it would be really handy around the yard. Could also make up a trailer to go into the woods with as a forwarder. The reach would be around 12 to 14 feet and could use it to load the trailer, load the mill or just move logs around.

any thoughts?? or laughter :P
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Furby

I'm not sure about the rotator, but you can get a claw to go on the boom. You do have a range of movement as it is, but a rotator would work great if you can get one. 8)

BW_Williams

I like the idea of multi-use equipment, now I need a backhoe, (wait 'til the boss lady hears that one!)  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Tom

A thumb would workpretty good and would still allow you to dig with the bucket.

I can't take my hoe, A Ford 555A, into the woods too good because of the weight. they don't float real good.  :D  It sounds like a good idea if the terrain will withstand it.  I'd sure put a good bellypan underneath her though.  Maybe a screen on the sides of the engine compartment too.

Neil_B

I had thought about putting a thumb on her but I think it would still be too limited for movement. eg would be you'd have to be lined up squarely with the mill in order to set it on. I've seen rotators that look like they would/ could be made to attach at the bucket pin with a bracket. I would probably have to fabricate a bracket to attach to the tilt for the bucket that would swing the grapple up out of the way or it would be dragging on the ground.

I agree Tom ,they aren't too good in the woods as far as manueverability as well as the weight thing. I would basically have to use it on a decent skid road to pick up logs brought to the side of the road much like the forwarders do, hence the trailer idea along with it. I don't do alot with the bucket any more but it shouldn't be too hard to switch if I did need it.
The brush and rock protection would be a must as well as protecting some of the hoses.

Now if only I could make it 4x4!! ;D
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

BW_Williams

I've read a chained up 2 wheel drive does less ground damage than 4WD.  I have a Ferguson TO35 with chains that works for me, but have nothing to compare it to.  BWW

Neil_B

It's amazing what a set of chains will do. I actually still have mine on. I really should take them off soon, but I suppose winters coming again anyway ;D

BW_Williams

I leave mine on year round, even run up and down the highway with em on, the county probley would frown on that though.  BWW

woodmills1

seems like that would be a handy set up.  the only difference from a regular grappl would be the height.   yours is attached to the lower part of the back hoe yet a grapple is usually mounted much higher.  ifin you could also set up a winch to yank logs closer you probably would save lots of moving around.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SawBilly

We have a small Kabota that I welded a thumb set to on the backhoe part. works VERY well. I made it removable so we could use it normally. it works best for skidding out logs and raising one end to push the heavy logs up on the trailer. we loaded a 3' dia cherry log that way, the log itself weighed more than the Kabota.

i looked into adding a grapple, but you would have to add another set of hydraulic controls to do one of the functions, such as swivel (spelling). not to mention the pain of takin on off your bucket. A set of forks for the front end loader works great for loading log on the mill, unless you have a hydraulic loader  ;D

My cost for the metal at a salvage yard was $7.00, I saw a great deal of forklift forks there also. Just a thought.

Neil_B

Hey guys
thanks for the tips. I do have a set of forks as well as the log loader on the mill but kind of looking for a little extra versatility. I pull out a lot of small logs from my firewood pile that would be better out of my way if I could easily load them onto a trailer to pull over beside the mill later on. I use the bucket on the backhoe for doing the wood and right now it is a pain  switching the forks and bucket two or more times a day.I'm working on a quick attachment for those. Also it may be more the layout of my yard that is a bit of a pain as well. It would be easier to grab the logs and swing them out of the way than to try and maneuver around with the forks on.
These backhoes just aren't meant to be used in a small yard ;).
As far as the extra hydraulics go. If I can find a way to keep the grapple off the ground when folded up, I can use the hydraulic line for the bucket curl with a couple of quick connects on the line. That way all the controls are still right there.
Might consider the thumb attachment for now though. I should cost less than a grapple and rotator :o.

Tom

I kind of made a poor-man's grapple.  It is ok with one person but it really requires two.  

I welded a chain locking-hook on the back of my hoe bucket up out-of-the-way close to the pin.  I hang a chain from this hook that has a skid hook on the other end.   I hook a log and boom it to where I want it.  'Then unhook it.  It's the hooking and un-hooking that makes having another person nice.

I skid logs to a fairly decent pile next to the sawmill ramp.  Then I place the hoe on its stabilizers and use the hook and boom to sort them, turn them the right way and load the ramp.

I use it to unload trailers and load trailers too.  It's pretty handy.

I welded a hook on the top-center of the front bucket too.  I roll the bucket way over forward and  hook the skid hook on a log.  I hook the chain fairly short, like 1 or 2 feet. When I roll the bucket back, the hook holds the log until the edge of the bucket gets under it and then the bucket takes the weight of the log, stabilizes it and I truck on off to the mill.  the chain makes hooking and unhooking the log a lot easier.  this is pretty handy too. :)

Neil_B

Yeah the hooks are handy. I've got them in the same spots on mine too but don't use the one on the backhoe much. I made up a chain to act like a spreader so I can pick up a log at two ends to keep it level. I use it on the front bucket much the same way as you Tom.
It's that hooking and unhooking that is the pain in the :-X as I work alone all the time. I always try to come up with something easier and faster but it always seems to cost money :(.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

New sawyer i think it,s a good idea you have but i think a trailer on the backhoe and using the backhoe as a loader would make the tractor rear end heavy and inpossable to steer much less pull any kind of payload. I can tell you that a normal grapple for a prentice loader weights about a ton and costs 6or 7 grand just for the grapple itself.

Neil_B

Woodmills, I've got one set of homemade tongs that I haven't really tried yet but had looked at some in Baileys. Would need a pair I could use on cable spreaders that are hanging in the garage.
Sawyer40, The grapple I would likely get would be the smaller kind that are used on the small forwarding trailers. Probably would be around the same weight as the bucket is. The trailer would basically be a 2 axle farm wagon with front axle steerable. That would certainly take the weight off of the backhoe itself.
I don't expect to use it for continuously large loads or for any great hauls or even very large logs for that matter but still think it could be handy.

Sawbilly, I must have had a brain fart when answering your comment because yes I would need more lines. Figured that out today while sitting on my butt having a smoke and it just popped into my head. There will be two functions instead of one. :( Still shouldn't be too much trouble adding another line. I hope ???

SawBilly

Not only do you need another line but also another control box with a joystick or lever for operation. Chances are the control levers you have do not allow anotehr port for use, but maybe, you would have to look and see. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has a bunch of hydraulic gear stuff. It could be done, just how much are you wanting to spend? If you put up a grapple that free swings (rotates) (not real safe) you could do it easier, but it may take two people to push/pull the log the direction you want it. I have found the small Kabota with a thumb does most everything I need.

Stephen

These are available to buy:
Case and Patu combo makes an efficient forwarder
by George Fullerton

Jan Ellingsen, management forester with Repap New Brunswick Inc., has built a "Catu" forwarder out of an industrial Case Tool-Carrier (backhoe) and a Patu forestry trailer that is superior to commercial forwarders.

See for a little more info:
http://www.countrymagazines.com/Features/AFR/catu.html
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Neil_B

That's the type of thing I'm looking at Stephen. Any idea where I could see better pics of that unit?

hills_logging

might not work to bad, those fords are as good as 2WD gets. Try a VALBY bucket & rotator. They are a bunch cheaper than  most others and lighter to boot.
Get quick clip ends for your hoses also.
Bill

www/valbysales.com
bill

Neil_B

Stephen

New_sawyer,
I know Lahave Equipment sells them here in Nova Scotia. I found this:
2000 CASE/PATU FORWARDER - 3 UNITS AVAILABLE
Model - Case/Patu
Description - 3-5 Cord capacity, A/C deluxe Cab. Prices to clear from stock
Located in Bridgewater and Truro.

at this site (lots of pop-up windows though  >:( )
http://www.lahaveequipment.freeservers.com/catalog.html

You will find contact info here too.
I did find a picture in a forestry mag. but Lahave should be able to send you better ones. Imagine a back-hoe with the loader and front axle removed, then a large forestry trailer articulating where the hoe attaches.

Hope this is usefull,
Stephen
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Thank You Sponsors!