iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Saw dust/husky 2010

Started by sawpsycho, April 16, 2004, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawpsycho

I had my first experience milling .Had to pick the hartest leopard wood and boy the stuff is hard. The kerf has  like sand dust and unless the mill as angled. 10 degree was all I could get cause of the size of log. The chain was a ripping chain. Very slow even with a )088 driving .About 20 minutes to get 2meters and only 2ft wide . Does this sound normal.?

Questions : 1.What is the fastest most violent chain to do the job.
2. Do you angle the mill or is it a straight on procedure.

Any easy way to start a saw(Husky 2010 )without pulling our hand off when the compression decides to be uncooperative .

Kevin

What ripping chain were you using?

oldsaw-addict

From what I know about ripping chains, a 10 degree angle is the most agressive you would want, any more than that and you will get a rough and crappy looking cut.  Was your chain sharp? and are you using a semi or full chisel ripping chain? full chisel tends to give me a smoother cut, but works better in soft woods than hardwood, for hardwood I would advise the semi-chisel ripping chains. As far as the mill goes, I would take a straight on approach with it.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

woodbeard

The dust is normal. Chainsaw milling produces very fine dust.
The time may be a little long, but maybe not much if the wood is extremely hard.

Stan

If it was goin' slow, I think I'd want the fewest teeth in the wood I could get.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!