iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shovel logging

Started by WvLogHauler, May 13, 2010, 04:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

WvLogHauler :

I can see where a guy wants to try and do this logging show as cheap or efficient as possible. But, I don't know why you want to be in a rush about it. Is the wood small or low value? My concern is a "fly by the seat" approach that can get you killed or seriously injured, as you seem to be bent on, with some kind of improvised equipment. I think sometimes some have to learn the hard way no matter what advise you give.  I hope you know what your doing. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mahonda

The real problem with putting that on a articulating truck is that they go faster! and no independent bogies for stumps and logs. It will be a rough ride but could work on the right ground with right equipment.
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

arojay

Ok, I've got a little time on Terex artic trucks and they really don't go that well without a decent surface, plus they are junk(imho).  The trucks themselves are relatively heavy and punch out soft ground in no time even on the empty side of the cycle so not good for soil compaction.  Finicky electronic controlled transmissions, terrible park brakes that self-destruct with driveline vibration, suspension and tire troubles plus they are gutless when under load and faced with steep climbs and rough for operators.  I know a guy who used a grapple like what is shown above, on an old 6x kenworth with good success on frozen ground but it is not fast.   Forestry machines have evolved as they are for good reason.  Just my 2 cents.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

SouthernRumRunner

I wouldn't do it. :)  Because they are not design for the stress that hauling wood puts on a machine. :o

WvLogHauler

well ,,,,, the person that was going to help me with this , and came up with the idea of using an articulated truck instead of a skidder , or in tandem with a skidder -short hauling to it ,,   is sitting at Duke university with asbestos related cancer ,,, on hold ,,,  :-\

Mike_M

Sorry to hear about your partner. A log loader provides lots of good logging options. We run a JD 200 and can quick change the grapples to our Waratah dangle head processor. The Yoder concept is another concept that is popular out in the west. Basically just a set of double hydraulic winches mounted onto a log loader. They are used with shot gun or slack pulling carriages for yarding short steep slopes. Usually less than 900'.  In my opinion a log loader with a skidder is a hard combination to beat for a small logging operation. Just my 2 cents.      Mike

logwalker

It is hard to argue with 75 years of evolution in an industry run by independent, hard-headed ol' cusses. For every successful idea there must have been at least a hundred bad ones.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

aksawyer

You are on the right track .Especially if you want to run just one machine. You can skid with it ,, you can load with it , you can limb with it,and if you Add a bar saw you can buck with it.We used alot of then in Idaho that way,and if youll add a slack kicker and tongs you can toss skidding tongs way down the hill to a setter,very fast step country logging.Contact Young Forestry Equipment they patent the setup and can supply you with videos of  it acually working.I helprd a guy set up a timbco 445 with a skidding atachment to there setup. It worked very nice, it would fall, skid ,and load all his production. He does about 10 million bord foot a year by his self.Aksawyer

bill m

Quote from: aksawyer on June 06, 2010, 06:41:13 PM
He does about 10 million bord foot a year by his self.Aksawyer
That seems a little high. 8 hours a day/5 days a week/52 weeks a year = 4807 bd. ft. per hour
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mahonda

Does sound steep. But I can't remember the last time i put in eight hours. that would be a nice break though  8)
"If your lucky enough to be a logger your lucky enough!"
Burly aka Dad

Bruce_A

Good operators on good ground, can do 20 loads a day, faster than most bunchers are able to cut and stack.  You slow down as you move further from the road.

BaldBob

I'd like to see the operator who could cut, limb, skid and load 20 loads a day. The poster said that the guy putting out 10 MMBF/yr did it all by himself.

SwampDonkey

"Super" Dave Osborn could do it.  ;D :D

Big wood and easy ground with big equipment. Couldn't do it here in the Maritimes, the wood isn't big enough and lots of places are wet and rocky to get at. It takes at least 3 days to cut, remove and load 10 acres of trees in these parts with processor and forwarder. Our ground runs around 25 cord/ac on average in hardwood, 32 or so in spruce, 30 or so in aspen because they grow taller than hardwood and the base of the crowns are way up the tree.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce_A

Quote from: BaldBob on June 07, 2010, 08:10:34 PM
I'd like to see the operator who could cut, limb, skid and load 20 loads a day. The poster said that the guy putting out 10 MMBF/yr did it all by himself.
If you can find where he is working at, go check out a 'John Meek' job.  A man almost never is on the ground, it is all machines.  Incredible to watch.  Most of the old boys that I know, only want to do 3 loads a day hand falling and bucking, by then you just want to go home.

BaldBob

Does he run all the machines himself? Remember the quote that started this tangent of the thread stated "He does about 10 million bord foot a year by his self."

Bobus2003

Quote from: BaldBob on June 09, 2010, 12:25:00 AM
Does he run all the machines himself? Remember the quote that started this tangent of the thread stated "He does about 10 million bord foot a year by his self."

I beleive that If you ran a machine like this in the Right wood you could move Some serious amounts of wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQzwiOySw5Y&feature=PlayList&p=A109D946EDEE4B30&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=24

Bruce_A

Quote from: BaldBob on June 09, 2010, 12:25:00 AM
You are talking between 40 and 50 loads a week the way my calculator reads.  Logging where I live means getting the logs out and on the truck, doesn't usually mean one man doing it all alone.  But a lot of the big operators try to shoot for 8 - 10 loads per man per day.  All with equipment of large potential.  Watch a good "Holbrook' job or 'NFT' job on good ground and they have incredible numbers.  And for crying out loud, don't forget you are in 'Paul Bunyan Country'.   :) :)

BaldBob

For a number of years I was logging contract supervisor for a large timber company. I was responsible for the harvest of 150-180 MMBF/year. The contractors ranged in size from those that moved a couple of loads a day to those that consistently moved 20+ loads /day. Regardless of size, if they weren't efficient productive loggers they didn't last long. The wood ranged in size from 5-10 logs/load to 100+ logs/load - with most being about 30 logs/load.

Even the most efficient and most mechanized of these contractors on the best ground and biggest timber did well to maintain 5 loads/man/day long term, when cutting, de-limbing, bucking, skidding/yarding, and loading were included in the calculation. And that doesn't include a man to keep all the mechanized equipment maintained - if the operators had to maintain their own equipment, they couldn't keep up that pace.

PS
The most productive loggers were those operating in Lodgepole pine clearcuts where 90-110 logs/load were the norm - flat ground, uniform timber size, feller bunchers, grapple skidders, and mechanical de-limbers/buckers.

Thank You Sponsors!