iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

single versus tandem axle for log/lumber hauling

Started by rmack, September 25, 2012, 03:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

Well, I have the mill and the forklift... Now I need a way to haul logs home, and finished product to market.
Any insights on what is the best bang for the buck would be appreciated.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Autocar

Single axle licenses are cheaper and from what Ive seen on the forum they haul some pretty big loads. Tandem axle licenses are more but you can haul more plus air brakes are alot better then hydraulic. I started out with a F700 Ford and pulled a Super M T A Farmall behind it it worked great but at that time I never heard of the PUCO. Now adays Iam sure they would have a problem with it. I'll just about bet pulling a trailer with your forklift on it plus a load of logs would make you over weight. Don't give up your figure out all the crazy stuff   ;D
Bill

thecfarm

I just saw a single axle the other day with a load of 16 foot firewood and a loader. Looked odd,small, Don't see many now a days. use to see alot of small trucks 30 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigpen

rmack, I have a single axle binder with a DT466 in it and a 10ton tandem dually trailer behind and I can haul about 5cord with it placed just perfect so I can axle out, 12k on steer, 20k on drive, and 20k on trailer axles. Its $151and change for the truck per quarter and if memory serves around $100 per quarter on the trailer. The last time I checked it  was about double that for the next weight bracket up, it was a bit of a jump in weight, but didn't seem worth it at the time.... hope this helps some. My truck and trailer empty weight is right around 21000#s.

rmack

Another issue I have to deal with is some very steep grades on the highways around here.

Do those single axle trucks come with engine brakes very often?

I have been looking at the internationals and they seem to be very popular, also the fords.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

treefarmer87

since you brought up steep grades, get a tandem withat least a 7 speed trans. single axles with jake brakes are rare from what i have seen. GET air brakes with which ever you choose. Get a international with a DT 466 or DT 530 (466 is a better motor from what i have heard) or a Ford F800 with a 8.3 cummins. you can also add a dead axle to a single axle with air brakes, my c 70 has hyd. brakes and a 427 gas. i dont haul far. i can haul 26,000 legally. the truck weighs 9700 empty, the hills arent bad here either. i have my eye on a F800 ford with 79,000 mi, air brakes, 8.3 cummins, and a air lift axle, auto trans 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

stavebuyer

We have quite a few small time folks still running single axles around here. They can work if the distance to be hauled is relatively short. Another thought to consider is your loader(s). With short logs you really have to get up high to put a full load on a tandem. That gets dangerous or impossible without a full sized wheel loader or knuckleboom. A single axle and low-boy is an awfully handy set-up.   

bill m

What kind of volume are you looking at, and how often. Also what class of license do you have? Are you able to upgrade your license if needed? How long is the haul to get logs to your mill and how far to get lumber to market? A single axle may be more cost effective if the haul is short or your trips are not very frequent.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

rmack

Not sure what constitutes as 'short' distance. I doubt the truck would have to haul logs more than 100 miles one way.

I didn't mention, the truck will have a hiab for self load/unload.

There is one for sale nearby, but it has an iffy engine, checked tires, and an Old hiab 950 with 16' reach that I am not sure will be powerful enough.

1981 C60 cat 3126 6 speed 18' deck.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

stavebuyer

I'd consider less than 30 miles to be the cost effective working range of a single axle. I wouldn't want less then a tandem with a double frame if I was going to mount a loader.

thecfarm

rmack,haib? Like to keep up on the truck lingo.
Got it,it's a type of loader.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!