iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Great Pecan Project

Started by WDH, February 06, 2011, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Customsawyer (Jake) and I embarked on a pecan adventure.  An orchard close to my house was being rogued, and as hardwood sawdust attracts me, I made an arrangement with the landowner to procure a few logs.  Needing a Large Log Whisperer, I partnered with Jake in the endeavor.  The goal is to saw the lumber on Jake's LT70, dry it, and market it.  I am the Sales and Marketing Division, and Jake is the Engineering, Manufacturing, and Operations Division.  That means that he does the real work  :).  Here is the Whisperer and his equipment:

Here is the pecan nemesis:

The plan was to stand it on the stump and back under it, then pull it into the bed of the truck.

Nope!!!  The log will not cooperate.  Too heavy to lift  :).

Plan B.  Adapt, emprovise, and overcome!  Jake gives the log a pecan haircut.

Jake stands the log up.

Sweet success 8).

A nice Whack of pecan logs ;D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I was confused at first when I saw you mentioning a pecan project. I thought I was familiar with your opinion of pecan lumber after working on Jody's basement. But now that I see that customsawyer will be doing the real work, it all makes much more sense ;D. That big log is one BIG LOG, by the way. Nice score :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

That's a good way to spend the day. :)  I can wait for all this gray sky to go away.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Autocar

What do they make out of peacon ? Ive seen it a few times when I was hunting turkeys in Florida and it looked like a walnut color ? Hard or soft to work ?
Bill

Mooseherder

Looks like a great day with a monster log guys. :) 8)

SwampDonkey

Pecan eh? I am with Dodgey, I thought pecan about drove you mad on one of your earlier projects. So my comments are biased or best kept to myself. :D

I guess maybe, that's a whack of wood!  :)

I hope that brute makes some dandy lumber non-the-less. All that work involved, gonna have to try anyway. It should make you sweat a little. ;)

I notice you southern boys aren't much into the safety gear, even in winter. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Very exciting and nice pictures that was great.  You left out one I would have liked to see, of the truck tires.  :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Autocar,

As hard as anything that you have ever tried to work with domestically.  You have to have the right equipment, which I did not have in the past.  So, it has vexed me in the past, but this lot will be for sale, so it will vex me much less  ;D. 

I never thought that we would load that first log.  It is just shy of 48".  However, Jake has a never-say-die attitude and is amazing when it comes to dealing with large logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

My daughter and SIL were looking to buy a house between Perry and Macon and saw several new subdivisions that were in old pecan orchards. In some of the developments a lot of the old pecan trees were left. I was hoping they would buy a lot with pecan trees so I could have free pecans. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tyb525

How does it compare to hickory?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Jake, how come there is not a big web address emblazoned across the side of that big white portable billboard?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Quote from: tyb525 on February 06, 2011, 10:31:37 PM
How does it compare to hickory?

Pecan is a hickory.  The hickory genus Carya has two groups, the true hickories and the pecan hickories.  The breakout is based on the number of leaflets on the leaf and the nut. 

tyb525

I knew they were related, just wasn't sure how closely :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Left Coast Chris

WDH,  what has been your secret in drying Pecan?   Will you air dry or kiln?

The last good sized Pecan I tried to air dry ended up discoloring unevenly.  Suposedly it is a reaction with something in the wood and excessive moisture at too warm of a temperature.   I should have put fans on it in warmer weather.  That would increase the risk of cracking and checking in our dryer climate but that is what I will try next time if there is a next time.  It was pretty slow to saw and needing blade changes more often also (not fun).  :( :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

tyb525

I sawed up a couple pignut logs, almost totally clear, the wood is a very pretty brown. The growth rings are tight and they are almost indistinguishable on the surface. I really like the contrast between the heartwood and white sapwood.

As far as sawing, it didn't seem unusually hard compared to other hardwoods like sugar maple and white oak. One batch was sawn all 6/4 and no wider than 8", the other 5/4. The 6/4 warped and bowed considerably more, I'm not sure why. It was from the same tree. The 5/4 was sawn from 10" down to 4" many of the boards with both edges left natural, and it dried pretty well.

Both batches were air dried in the same area for about a year and a half.

I treated it all with a form of insect killer/repellent that was also supposed to repel PPB's, and it seemed to work, I haven't noticed any.

Planing and machine seems okay, the planer actually left an unusually smooth surface compared to other woods. It seemed easy to burn with the table saw but otherwise cut well.

LeeB

Pecan tends to have slighly reddish colored streaks through it, otherwise much the same as hickory. Here is a spalted pecan night case I made for lindy. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customsawyer

I have to say that the old truck earned her bacon today. We did not get in a hurry on the way home. ;D
I was right there with Dodgy Loner when Danny first called me about this project but after a bit of talking and looking he had talked me into it. I am looking forward to the work and finding out what all is inside of these ladies. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Nice score guys!  That's what I'd call a "whack of big logs"!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

fishpharmer

My Hero strikes again! ;)  ;D  Way to go Jake and Danny!  8)  I know someone with a Lucas if the LT 70 can't handle it. :D :D

Are there any advantages gained by quarter sawing pecan from a woodworkers perspective?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

The color sure would make a pretty gun stock but probably heavy, saw it 1/8 inch and glue it up with 1/8 inch hard maple that should be real pretty stock.
Bill

Magicman

I made a free offer for a certain FF member to bring his swinger and harvest this Pecan tree tree.   :)
If he doesn't/can't do it, it gets Hack-N-Squirted.   :-\

34" Diameter Pecan.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

If you weren't so far from me I would love to have that one Mm. I really like pecan.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Quote from: LeeB on February 07, 2011, 08:39:33 AM
If you weren't so far from me I would love to have that one Mm. I really like pecan.

+1.  Not to mention the fact that the slabs make great grilling wood!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

wwsjr

That looks like a good reason to have a Southern Chapter FF meeting in south MS sometime in the future.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Quote from: wwsjr on February 07, 2011, 09:22:45 AMThat looks like a good reason to have a Southern Chapter FF meeting in south MS sometime in the future.
I would say "near future".  I can fire up the "chicken crisper"   :o

Or would "chicken-on-a-stick" be better   ???

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!