Sponsors:

husq 142

Started by BubbasDad, April 17, 2015, 08:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbasDad

Just added another to the collection!
John

BubbasDad

Why would the front of a muffler blow off? Picked this 142 up today for cheap- $30. Guy says it runs, actually said it was at shop for tune up and when he brought it home the thing blew front of muffler right the hell out!! Now i have not checked anything out because i didnt have time all i looked at when i got it was big hole between muffler bolts and into cylinder. Cylinder looks Great! Not a mark any place on intake side that i can see and piston on exaust side hasent even got a scratch??   
       Could it be that it was just rotted and pressure blew it out? Will know more tomorrow some time since i am still working
John

Chris-PA

I'll jump in here as my first post on this forum - look to see if it is an "e-series" version (which should also have a green fuel cap).  If so it was a cat muffler, and these get awfully hot.  Perhaps that caused the failure.  Look for damage to the top cover.

You can put a non-cat muffler for a 141 on it.  Drill the internal baffle and open the outlet a bit and if the engine is in good shape that saw will surprise you.  You'll need different muffler bolts too, and the spacer/shield for the 141 muffler would also be a good idea.

three feathers

One of my older friends gave me a 142 with a green gas cap. I replace the cat muffler and have had great luck with it. For limbing and cutting smaller wood it is my go to saw and I have several other pro models to choose from. It starts with one pull after first start. Just works really well. Of course I run 40/1 and had to retune carb. after replacing carb and changing oil to gas ratio.
Jerry

BubbasDad

Thanks for the input! Always appreciated. No the gas cap isnt green. Its black. Cylinder looks great! Havent had any time to look at it yet, Been workin crazy hours on a friends house. Just came home bout an hour ago so i put a little gas in it and pulled it over but pull start stuck out cause of how much crap is built up under it! So tomorrow she will get a bath and while i am between coats of joint compound ill mess with it.
I will remove carb and seal off cylinder of course. Did find a brand new bar and new skip tooth chain i had saved off a chraftsman i junked. Probably gonna be either the wifes saw or maybe her dads? Wiil see!
John

Chris-PA

Don't use the skip tooth chain, at least in 16" and under - it's doesn't need it and it's really slow.  Mine came with an 0.043" bar and chain, which is very fast.

BubbasDad

I read ghat the skip tooth would make it faster? That's the only chain i have. Will have to get different one next week.
John

Chris-PA

It would if the saw were underpowered, but the 142 is not and can pull full comp lo pro just fine. 

How long a bar is it?

sawguy21

If you have skip tooth it won't be the 3/8 lo pro or .325 pitch to fit on the 142. Best to use full comp on the small stuff, it will be a lot smoother.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BubbasDad

16  91-56 = 16" 3/8 low profile. I will have to get another chain. You recommend anything in particular for this saw? Just got a chance to look it over a bit and boy is she dirty!! Drives me nuts when people buy a pretty good tool, machine(chainsaw) and instead of keepin it going with a little general maintenance they run it into the ground and toss them cause they figure it out its gonna cost them some cash to get it going again!! Although thats how i end up with 90% of my toys!!!
John

sawguy21

You are a man after my own heart. ;D I am a scrounger too. Oregon 91VX or Stihl 63PM will work just fine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chris-PA

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 20, 2015, 11:39:09 AM
You are a man after my own heart. ;D I am a scrounger too. Oregon 91VX or Stihl 63PM will work just fine.
I agree, 91PX will work fine.

Oregon does make a full skip lo pro chain though - it's often put on Poulans from the factory and sometimes sold in MalWart.  I forgot the number for it, but it's basically 91VG with two shark fin humps between each cutter.  I grind the shark fins off and use it on my pole saw.

BubbasDad

The skip tooth was on a small chraftsman a buddy gave me for parts.
It does have the shark fins between cutters
John

BubbasDad

Got time to play with 142 since i was home with sick boy. Finally got to sleep around 3:30 this morning and my 5 yr old woke me up sick. So got a few to put her back together and to my surprise she started on 3rd pull and another surprise she cut *DanG good! Even with skip tooth on her!! Time for new muffler, regular chain and pull adjustment screws out of carb so i can cut a notch in each of them to fine tune and decide what to do with it. Thank you to all the guys that posted your opinions and experience, always appreciated! Time to go back to the 61! Cant wait to get her sparking!!
John

Thank You Sponsors!