iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Tear in my Eye

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 28, 2017, 07:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I can respect that people can do as they like with their personal property, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  :D

Before I got my mill I had been desperately trying to get involved with a mill somehow. I would see abandoned mills like that and it would really upset me to think of the potential rotting away.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TKehl

Quote from: edwin dirnbeck on December 29, 2017, 11:30:52 AM
If you drive anywhere in rural Mo.,you will see countless FRONT yards full of EVERY machine that the owner has owned. NON  are for sale.Edwin Dirnbeck

Spies!!!  How did you find my place?  ???   ;D  ;)   Oh wait, this does fit 80-90% of rural MO.   ;D

We've owned the farm since 1911, several generations of farm equipment and cars.  I've cleaned up some, but also bought some so...kind of a wash.

I've cut my share of of old cars, tractors, and equipment out with a chainsaw.  Most weren't worth much when they were parked. 

This mill gives me pause though.  Makes me think Chernobyl...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

The goat just wants to graze the privet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Real funny how much easier to buy something that is for sale, HUH???
Quote from: Crossroads on December 29, 2017, 12:45:53 PM
My cousin has a mobile dimension that they salvaged for free. It's in pretty bad shape and needs the engine rebuilt. I've tried to buy it several times, but his nephew is involved somehow and says no. So, found a place in Portland that had a 2017 lt40 wide sitting out in the weather rotting away and bought it in stead ;)

It's really sad to see perfectly good machines setting in the weather, not being taken care of.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Crossroads

Quote from: paul case on December 29, 2017, 06:56:48 PM

Real funny how much easier to buy something that is for sale, HUH???
Quote from: Crossroads on December 29, 2017, 12:45:53 PM
My cousin has a mobile dimension that they salvaged for free. It's in pretty bad shape and needs the engine rebuilt. I've tried to buy it several times, but his nephew is involved somehow and says no. So, found a place in Portland that had a 2017 lt40 wide sitting out in the weather rotting away and bought it in stead ;)

It's really sad to see perfectly good machines setting in the weather, not being taken care of.
PC

Works every time ;)
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

jb616

I know what you guys are talking about. It took me two years to get this mill from the owner who left it in the Michigan weather for 15 years. I am in the process of restoring it and should be ready in the spring. Here is a couple of pics where I found it and in my garage currently.

Darrel

That'll dry a tear or two!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

jb616....PLEASE.....post more pics of your restoration. This looks interesting. Thanks buddy.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

TKehl

I've bought a lot of stuff that wasn't for sale by making a reasonable offer.  Sometimes the owner just doesn't want to get lowballed, but doesn't know what the thing is worth. 

Doesn't always work, but it's funny how often peoples fear of loosing a cash offer overrides their desire to keep something they weren't using anyway.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

4x4American

That is terrible...awhile back I had seen something similar that I wanted to buy and I went there and oiled it for the old man...never ended up with it but he was happy...I could have bought it but decided against it.
Boy, back in my day..

Logger RK

What got me was when a supposedly buddy of mine had a rare IH little rubber tired tracked cable Skidder (which iv seen a couple on this forum).  I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it let me know. I go to visit and he just finished cutting it up for scrape. I did tell him I had recently seen one on C list for 10k as a collector.

Banjo picker

If there is something out there that you could really use or need; it can be good to stop by from time to time and check on it... as long as the people aren't mean or nasty about it.  Sometimes you just have to be there at the right time, when it clicks to them that its time to part with an item.  I myself sold an ole R model Mack dump truck... finally the main reason was I got tired of hearing about how I didn't need it or ever use it from the misses.  Man showed up one day and made an offer an he got it.  I actually wish I had it back, but his timing was good to make a buy that day.  :(  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sealark37

I had to work for six hours with a chainsaw to free up my D-4 Cat enough to drag it out with a wrecker.  I watched the sawmill I bought for twenty years as I drove by the owner's house.  When he finally put a price on it, the only part visible was the exhaust stack protruding from the honeysuckle vines.  Much to my surprise, he would not take my money until he sawed a log on the mill.  It took two hours to clear away the vines and trees, but the engine started right away.  Old machines require persistence.       Regards, Clark       

pineywoods

I have rescued 3 woodmizers from the scrap heap, number 4 is in my shop awaiting re-build and #5 is on the wait list. Learned a bunch here, special thanks to Marty Parsons. The nearest wm facility is 200+ miles away. If I were a bit younger, I would seriously consider establishing a sawmill repair and rebuild business, but at my age, it's just not practical. Don't need the money, kids are well established, and grandkids college funded. I have a nice wm lt40 with hydraulics and remote, material handling equipment, connections to a couple of tree service companies and 3 or 4 logging crews. In other words, I don't need any more projects, but it still hurts to see nice stuff just abused and neglected..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodhick

I bought my current mill in similar situation.  Its a LT40Super.  Had to replace electric motors on it. Been running fine since, I have owned it for 3 years or so now.   It baffles me why folks don't store stuff indoors??  Ok I get it a barn is expensive and shed a little less but for crying out loud you have (or had) a sawmill which would lower the cost of shed to just the metal roofing! 
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Dave Shepard

Building permits, zoning regs, have to own the land....
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 05, 2018, 08:47:19 PM
Building permits, zoning regs, have to own the land....

Where this LT50 sits and where my mill is, the land is zoned Agriculture.
No permits to build a shed needed.
Now if you want electrical in your shed...that will require a permit with inspection
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Timbercreekfarm

Same here, I know a guy with a woodmizer, hasn't used it in at least 10 years, probably more. It has been sitting outside for just as long, I have called him twice in the last few years, he won't even talk about selling it. I should know better, he has trucks, cars, backhoe, tractor trailers, old kubota, all outside, none running, none for sale.

PAmizerman

I ran into this problem when I first started looking for a mill. My pap bought a woodmizer lt30 back in the eighties. Unfortunately he passed before I was even born and the mill got sold. When I started looking for a mill I was able to track his down. Thought how cool would that be to get my paps mill. I went to look at it and it was in very sad shape. Been sitting outside since about 1990. The guy gave me an I don't want to sell it price and it's still setting outside.
We keep all our equipment under roof. I guess that's why you can't hardly walk through our buildings sideways😂😂.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

scully

Great thread ! I had always said I was going to find a Wood-Mizer with a Kabota diesel when I retired and buy it . As fate would have it I lost my job 3 years before I retired .3 months into unemployment I get a tip on one . It sat outside for 3 years and had only 300 hours on it . The price was to good to pass up . I don't know how I pulled it off but I got it . The down side was it sat near a 4 lane high way in the north east . the winter air and moisture from the salted roads really took it's tole on allot of stuff . The engine was covered though . I hauled it home and started fixing what needed fixing . Best move I ever made ! I would not let this mill go for anything !  It blows my mind to see them sitting outside unused for years etc. Posthole 40 don't give up on that one ! There ain't nothin that can't be fixed on it !
I bleed orange  .

whatwas

I collected and restored old vehicles(mostly vintage snowmobiles) for 25 plus years and have brought  ones home that "aren't for sale" more than once by talking to the owner and figuring out what turns their crank more than money. I've used chain saws,welders, work horse harness, lumber, even build a shed, etc...... for currency and at the end of the day everybody's happy. At 85 this owner has had a ton of money pass through his hands, maybe there's something else you can buy/or have as trade bait that he wouldn't have bought for himself. One thing for sure, that mill needs a rescue. Good -luck
life is good

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

At least he just called him a posthole. Could have been worse.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red

Is it a square post in a round hole ? Or a round post in a square hole ?  Just so many decisions to make on the back 40 .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Hackermatack

Not the first mill that I have seen sitting in the weeds but certainty one of the nicest. At least it is a quality product and when it eventually comes up for sale it can be salvaged. Last I knew you could send them back to WM for a good as new overhaul. 
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Thank You Sponsors!