iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weekend workshop in August

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 18, 2011, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A client of mine is building a shed for his tractor.
Most of his timbers are cut and he is interested in having me hold a couple of "basic workshops".

What a basic workshop is, is that you'll just learn the basic joints, mortise and tenon, laid out using square rule joinery techniques. No fancy rafter tails or seat. No compound joinery.

Other than a standard mortise and tenon the only other joints we'd be doing is brace layout, including brace tenon and brace pockets in post and tie beams. Very basic stuff.

These workshop would be held on a Saturday, and maybe a Sunday, if someone was going to travel a distance and wanted to stay over, and do two days.

One of the challenges of this frame is that it is a hardwood frame, all out of Maple. Timbers were cut from trees from his own lot.

The day would consist of start time at 8 am and working on joints till noon. Lunch provided by the host, till 12:30. Then working on joints till 5:30 pm or so. During the first hour of the day we will spend a little time on tools needed to do timber framing.

And you'll have a chance to use a boring machine, and/or a chain mortiser, or both.

The cost for these workshops would be very low. The fee is $100 per day.

If anyone who is within driving distance to northeast MA who would like to join us at these workshops could send me an email, I'll add your name to our roster. Class size will be limited to five, so that you can have some dedicated one on one instruction.

The first weekend we (the client and I) can do this is August 20-21, 2011.

The location is within 15 miles of my sawmill yard, at the client house, in northeastern MA.

You'll have to bring some of your basic layout and cutting tools with you to this workshop. Our inventory of our timber framing tools that we sell will be available for a participant to purchase as well.

Please email me at jrsawmill (at) verizon (dot) net for any questions or other details.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Two spots filled for the first weekend......

Only three left on this weekend......

Jim Rogers

Piston

Am I on that list Jim?  If not, you can add me for the weekend of August 20,21.  I'll finally be home for something  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Yes, you are one of the two have signed up.

Thanks

villarri

Jim,

I tried, but was unable to e-mail you. I am interested in your workshop, however, I have no timber framing experience. Would this be the right workshop for a beginner? I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Rich
Boston, NY
Rich V.

Jim_Rogers

Rich:
Yes this is a beginner course.
I just emailed you so you'll have my email address.
Hopefully it will get through to you.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

We now have three signed up. Only two spots left for the weekend of the 20th-21st.

Jim_Rogers

I wanted to post a follow up to this past weekends workshop.

We, the host and I, had three great students.

And the host's cousin showed up and worked almost all the day with us as well.

Weather was good, we missed getting rained on, Saturday afternoon, but it rained here a the sawmill yard.

Sunday we watched the radar on a "smart phone" and were prepared when the storms came through.

We had our tools picked up and we spent a few minutes in the garage talking about tools and timber framing, while is was lightly raining, before we said our goodbyes.
And everyone went on their way.

This "basic timber framing" format worked well for this project.
And I feel that these "students" did a great job at picking it up.

There weren't any mis-cuts, or major errors.

As I was busy with the instructions, I didn't have a chance to take any photos. But I have requested that those who did would forward some to me.
Hopefully then we'll have some to post to show you all.

Jim Rogers

ljmathias

Excellent job, Jim- education is one of the main things life is all about, and the more we can do to teach each other, the better.   :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Piston

I learned a lot from Jim at this past workshop and took quite a few pics. I'll post some tomorrow and forward them to you as well Jim.
Overall I was amazed at how much I learned in such a short time. It was a great experience for me and very valuable. NOW I don't have any excuse for not building something. :)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!