iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black willow I believe

Started by OHBucknut, January 26, 2019, 08:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHBucknut

I think I have a bunch of black willows. They are willow for sure and I think they are the black variety. 

I was wondering if they are any good for lumber or anything. I am going to get rid of them anyway. 

I have OWB if not any good for lumber I can burner anything 

billporterfield

Depending on the size. They make good caskets wood.
Bill

Southside

My eyes deceived me when I read the title and I was expecting a photo of a nasty arachnid you found in your bag of grapes today.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I have sawn many Mbf of Black Willow that was used for paneling in homes.

Several examples of Black Willow.

A bit more.

Some logs are almost as dark as Walnut while others have a honey color but both are very pretty.

Two more examples of different colorations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lxskllr

That's good looking lumber. Willow kinda stinks when burned. At least weeping willow does. Wouldn't stop me from using it if it were dumped in my lap, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it for burning purposes.

OHBucknut

I am building a barn this spring (stick built) think I can use these willows for studs? 2x6s

I have a lot of them they need to be cut because that where my barn is going. And I do not have access to any pine or fur

Magicman

Studs should work.  Take side lumber off of each side of your targeted center cant and then saw through.  Don't split the pith. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OHBucknut

This is a picture does someone want to confirm they are black willow?

Not the best with tree ID but getting better

gspren

Don't know about black willow but the willows around here make lousy firewood, heavy when green and dry really lite, not worth the space in my woodshed.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lxskllr

Doesn't look like willow I'm familiar with. They're a wetland tree. Are they near water, or wet ground?

edit:
If it is black willow, I'd be leery of building where black willow was growing. Seems like it could cause problems(water) going forward.

OHBucknut

That tree is 15' from a crick... the ground used to be wet but I have since redirected the water. Sandy soil and drains very nice. I am confident they are willows. 

I'll try to take a picture of a few more some have tripled coming from the stumps. 

And yes willow is very lousy firewood. I will burn it in my OWB to get rid of it but won't go out of my way for it. I was wondering for framing materials or wood working.

Thank You Sponsors!