iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bucking slippery pulp

Started by madmari, August 13, 2011, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

Took a wicked spill this week hand bucking on a pile of white pine pulp. We're cleaning up a storm mess - owner wants ALL pine cut from his property. Pulling about 45 cds/acre, plus logs.

Question is- aping around on huge pile of snotty slippery pine is going to end badly if we don't figure out a better way.

The landing is rough and smaller than my ex-wife's heart. Pushing up bucked pine is not an option. Caulked boots seemed logical, but they are not skidder friendly.

Any ideas?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

smwwoody

calked boots and old rubber conveyor belt on the floor, peddles, and steps of the skidder
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

SwampDonkey

Caulk boots are your best option. I wear them cutting brush and if your in aspen that is wet, you'll appreciate them caulks. Otherwise your going skiing. ;D Don't even waste time considering the studs you push up in the soles, they are useless and come out as fast as they go in.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: smwwoody on August 13, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
calked boots and old rubber conveyor belt on the floor, peddles, and steps of the skidder

That's what I would do. When i worked in the woods our skidder had rubber everywhere and it was no problem with my calked boots. Much safer when climbing on wet or frozen timber that is like an ice skating rink.

Maineloggerkid

Out of curiosity, why is pushing pre-bucked logs up not an option? Thats what I have always done, as well as all the local loggers I know and learned from.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

madmari

We're bucking 8' pulp. It's alot easier to push it up log length, due to the very limited space for a landing. Once up on the pile and straight, we buck it to 8' with a saw. Keeps it close to the road for the loader so I can keep working while the truck loads. Tried it both ways, but due to stumps and small space the pile quickly became a mess. Usually not a problem, but summer pine peels easily and , like said, becomes snottier than Kyle Busch on the pole.
Sounds like calks are the ticket. Never used them before.

twobears

get a loader and slasher...  ;D

delbert

madmari

In high school I loaded 4' aspen onto trucks by hand, delivered to the mill for $35 cd. Thirty three years later, I get $30/cd on the landing. The loader/slasher will have to wait.

Black_Bear

Try coordinating with your trucker - he can help move wood around while you buck the last few trees that are buried, and he can sort the products while he loads the truck, often making his job easier during the next load. It may cost extra, but at 45+ cd/acre it sounds like you can afford it on this job.  

That's if you can even find a truck. They seem to be in short supply in some areas!!

my $0.02 - Ed  

madmari

Our trucker, Weston Pulpwood out of Essex, has been good to us. Very patient, courteous and prompt. They run good equipment, take care of it. Wayne has been sorting for us but I realize trucks are in short supply and they are busy fellers. Anything that'll make it easier on the trucker and us is a huge plus.

Maine372

ive never used calks but the are certainly an option.

i run a seperate saw on the landing because im cutting in wood that has been dragged. you can probly use a longer bar to reach rather than climbing on the pile. a 372 or 460 stihl will spin a 36 inch bar, just dont bury the whole bar in the wood at once.

dont wait for the trucker to pile your wood for you. its a good way to meet new truckers.

SwampDonkey

Truckers are an independent lot. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jd540b

I couldn't agree with maine372 more...don't make the trucker pile your wood-it's their job to load and haul it.....when loads/time is tight there going to cater to the guys who they don't have to mess around with.  My 0.02 cents, too.

madmari

These guys don't mess around- they work 7 days a week, holidays, nights. But they are good people and help out the little guy when they can. Couldn't ask for more.

Thank You Sponsors!