iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Database

Started by Jeff, May 23, 2003, 04:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I am going to create a sawmill services database. Someone that has a sawmill or milling service will be able to add themselves, and also have access to their own record so they can edit it. We will also have a find a sawmill or sawyer link on the forum.

I am doing this for a couple reasons. One, to help people who are looking for you. Two, to help you. You will not have to be a member of the forum to ad your  sawmill services

What I need to know is, what kind of information should we have in it?  It will be up to the individual how much they want to fill out, but we should have it as complete as one wants it too. It will be searchable by what ever criteria is in it. Heavy on location and type of service.

What should we include? What should we not include?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Left_Coast_Rich

Great Idea Jeff,  I would think that the general info would be appropriate. Location, hours, tele # or best way to contact, expertise, size of facility either in acres or services provided whether full time, part time or hobbiest, mill type, perhaps # of employee's?, wood types available to site, value added services, can deliver and how far, will travel and how far, years in service...etc.   I am sure that I am just scratching the surface.  By adding information to the blanks the mill owner can regulate what info will be available to the public and what to keep quiet about. the only concern I would have is that the info would become a hot spot for unsoliciated spam. ::) left coast rich  
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

ElectricAl

Kiln Service, type of kiln
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Neil_B

How 'bout max log size. ie length and width.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Jeff

To get away from spam, or at least limit it, I will incorporate a form to send info. when you add your email to the database it will not be on the page, but coded into a sendmail form that someone would have to use. A spammer would not be able to justget your email address, he would have to fill out a form. Not likely. The other thing is, the data will not be able to be spidered so email harvesting software cannot reach it.

Jeff

I need a list of kiln types. Type, not manufactures.

Jeff

Should county be a field?

ElectricAl

Jeff,

Kiln.........Conventional steam, Conventional hot water, DH, Solor, Vacuum, Rinkydink
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Is Rinkydink two words?

Danny_S

Jeff, will it be universal to work in canada? Or do you need an adapter ? :D :D  Something else you may consider would be GPS coordinates. People with a GPS could punch it in and know where to go exactly...  Just a thought... ::)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Jeff

yep, we will have canada. If the N.Z boys want to be included I can do that too. Thats the great thing about database stuff, at least the way I am going to do it, we can add to or expand things as we see the need.

How many states are in canada? ;)

There will be a comment section where you can say what ever you want in your record. You guys will be responsible for adding yourselves and for what information is in there. You will only be able to alter your own record.

ElectricAl

Rinky-dink

Is a Hyphenated compound word.

From Webster's College Dictionary  c2000 ;)

DanG

That's a super idea Jeff.  I would leave the form minimal, and let the guys put what they want in the comment section. IE, just give the basics on the chart, such as kiln, portable, p/u & delivery, etc. Don't forget to put pressure treating on there, 'cause I'm gonna offer that. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

BW_Williams

Jeff, sound great.  Yes on the County entry.  Does this have to do with the new box on the left?  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Tom

Hmmmm   That GPS thingy sounds interesting.  I've got some people I'd like to give specific coordinants to so they would know where to go. I've already told them where to go and they still haven't figured it out.  Somebody might have to help me figure out the coordinates though,   I'm not sure I could pin point this special place on a map. :-/ ;D :)

Jeff

I have decided to keep the data form simple, but include a futher information field for those that want to enter more data.

Scott_R

Tom, here are the correct coordinates. N42 degrees 26.084' W83 degrees 59.096' .:)

AtLast

Always so willing to step up Jeff...wadda guy you are...hats off... 8) how bout size specs- max length, diameter, willing to travel without charge, cost beyond mile limit,  basic charges,  cust responsibilities ie: location of log to be milled etc, payment expectations ie: deposit etc, able to use metal detector or not if so whats the charge, hmmmm lemme think...what else....oh....if I have the most ideas do I get a hat even if I havent reached my milestone?  ;D...ok...so it was worth a try...THANKS JEFF...appreciate you doing this ALOT!!!!

Danny_S

I think the simpler the better.  Give a spot for a fancy company heading, address and contact options,...then a general area for the advertiser to put his own comments of whatever he wants to put....I would keep it simple and if the person is seriously interseted at all he will contact you and ask all the questions from there.........  Just my opinion.. ???

Maybe the availability to click on a map link with where you are located

Jeff

Yep, what Buck says. The comments area will take some html so if you know how, you can put map links and such in. Or fill out the provided form fields and I think you will have all you need.

I am getting close to us testing it. My one concern is people making more then one entry. If we have problems with that, I can change it from automatic, to where you have to request admission first. We'll just see how it goes. Look for something late tonight or tomorrow.

Danny_S

Appreciate all the hard work Jeff, we have a great site here and your improvements just make it all the better..... thanks for all the great work.....

This looks like me and the wife when I want to spend $$ on the mill....  

:D :D

Jeff

Well,

Here we go. Lets see what happens. I have entered billsby lumber in in michigan. Its ya'lls turn.

This is the search page. You will also find a link to add a new entry and also links to edit an existing entry.

Start here.
https://forestryforum.com/datasearch.html

Thank You Sponsors!