iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red-winged Black Birds

Started by Jeff, March 02, 2018, 10:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Here in Michigan, most people think that seeing a Robin is the first sign of spring, however many Robin's winter over. Not so with the Red-winged Black birds. They are the true harbinger of spring as birds go.  We just had one at the bird feeder here on this second day of March!  Earliest I have ever saw one here!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JV

I saw the first bluebird in the yard a couple of days ago.  I had to watch for awhile to make sure it really was one.  I don't ever remember seeing one this early.  An unusual amount of crows too.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

tawilson

Then there's the flocks of geese been heading north for a couple weeks now.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

doctorb

Our bluebirds never left!   Got a few daffodils in bloom.  Trees are budding. I can hear the high "V's" of geese heading north at night.  I think that they will have to hunker down for a few days with our Nor'easter.  Doves are paired up.  And I saw my first robin yesterday.  I'm not to sure Punxsutawney Phil got it right this year.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

upnut

When I hear the woodcock doing their "sky dance" as they migrate in, spring is right around the corner! Have been hearing many more songbirds early in the mornings, good to hear....Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

thecfarm

Never saw one at the feeder. Very common to see one next to the brook on a cat-nine-tail just down the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

He was back today.  No cattails here or open water for that matter. That's usually where you see them, is in cattails.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clearcut

Western tanager here. They arrive at this elevation in early spring and then move up. Redwings and geese both overwinter here. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

51cub

Alot of people say it around here, too. For whatever reason, even after I found out it's not true however many years ago, I still watch for them. There's only been a handful of years that I saw them before the last snow. I haven't seen one yet this year. We're forecast for another noreaster come Wednesday, so, so far this year they haven't lied to me yet

Edited for spelling
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Banjo picker

I used to see the red winged black birds fairly often, but I haven't seen one in quite a while.  Don't see the big string a black birds in the air like I use to see either.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Crusarius

I screwed up when I removed all the cattails that were taking over my pond. I lost all my red winged blackbirds. Does anyone know what I can do to create a nesting area for them short of putting the cattails back in.

I now have a crow problem and I hear the black birds chase them off.

Autocar

That's my sign of spring when I hear red wing black birds, they showed up a few weeks back I also seen a few kill deer. Can't wait pretty tired of hauling wood to the stove  ;D.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!