iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: How in the world do you use a brush axe?  (Read 4096 times)

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: How in the world do you use a brush axe?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
I bought it thinking of clearing rose bushes.  However, once it was in my hand and I was staring at a rose bush, I realized the handle wasn't near long enough and I hadn't thought this through all the way.   :D

Any ideas with dealing with big multiflora rose?  My army of minions (goats) are taking care of the smaller ones, but the ones 6' or taller look like they've been given a bowl haircut with lots of foliage on top of rose stems (almost trunks).   :(  I took out some with a chainsaw (let my minions take care of the regrowth), but don't want to try that trick again.   ;)  Have an electric pole saw now and hoping that will do the trick.   ;D

Oh, and I can still outsplit a splitter.  Just not for as long as I used to could.   :)
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
How about burning them to a nub then pulling out stump with a chain?
Revelation 3:20

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
I bought it thinking of clearing rose bushes.  However, once it was in my hand and I was staring at a rose bush, I realized the handle wasn't near long enough and I hadn't thought this through all the way.   :D

Any ideas with dealing with big multiflora rose?  My army of minions (goats) are taking care of the smaller ones, but the ones 6' or taller look like they've been given a bowl haircut with lots of foliage on top of rose stems (almost trunks).   :(  I took out some with a chainsaw (let my minions take care of the regrowth), but don't want to try that trick again.   ;)  Have an electric pole saw now and hoping that will do the trick.   ;D

Oh, and I can still outsplit a splitter.  Just not for as long as I used to could.   :)
I used a chainsaw attachment on my weed eater and then pushed several on a pile to burn. The goats kept new growth down until they died.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
TKehl,

My place here was overgrown with Multiflora roses when we bought it. I got a long cable and would make a big lasso around a pile and the end to the little tractor and get wife or son to drive while I walked along cutting the stumps. Every time I'd cut a stump the noose would tighten. When I'd cut the last one we'd drag them to a tire and through methods not to be further discussed we would burn them. The ones I could reach with the little Gravely tractor with the 30" bush hog on front I could cut. When I got a fence up that would sometimes keep goats in they cleaned up everything. They ate all the greenery they could reach and in winter they'd gnaw the stumps girdling and killing them. Now that they are gone the horse, mule and deer keep them under check. Maybe you just need to give your goats a little more time and cut back on the other feed and make them work harder.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
Good info.  

Next question, what do you actually do with a goat after its cleared your lot?

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
How about burning them to a nub then pulling out stump with a chain?

There's too many of them.  Granted, they only get REAL big when they are in the understory and a giant dies and opens a hole...  Will have to get some pictures...

Maybe you just need to give your goats a little more time and cut back on the other feed and make them work harder.

They can't reach high enough.  Some of these bushes are 10' tall and nearly as wide.  They eat all the way around it 5' high though!  They haven't been hungry enough to eat rose bush bark though with all the acorns and Oak leaves available.  :)  They only finished the first bale of hay a few weeks ago.  :D

Maybe waiting would be a good idea though.  Dad has been looking real hard at a brush cutter for the skid steer.  He's already been looking 2-3 years now.  Bet he will buy one in another one or two.  ;D  

Our goats are more profitable than our cattle.  Trying to get to 200 does to make an impact on our place.  Once we have enough to clean up our farm, we will probably look for more overgrown brushy land to rent cheap on a long lease.  Clean with goats, then transition into more cattle.  ;)

They are also good eating.  Similar to deer in a lot of ways.   8)  The biggest difference is a lot less time waiting in a tree stand.   ;)  
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »
My reason for my OP is not how to remove brush, but rather if anyone has actually used a brush axe with success, and if so, how?  I am quickly concluding that the answer is probably not. I have chainsaws, tractors, brush saws, winches, diesel fuel, old tires, a flame thrower, brush hog, an InShinnerator  and even access to goats if I wanted, but I really am just curious about these old axes at the moment, but it seems there is a reason they aren't very popular.

Thanks for the interesting responses so far.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 02:29:10 PM »
Good info.  

Buy it a sawmill and let it's hair grow.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
LoL

TKehl.  Can you hingcut these things with a pile saw and push them over with a 10ft chunk of conduit?  Let the goats finish em up? 

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
Can't really hinge it as it's multi stemmed like a shrub.  I have found as long as I get them topped around 3' high, the goats will take care of the rest.  Within a year after it's cut, the top snaps and breaks easy and the goats attack the young sprouts in the middle.  It's just getting in there to make the topping cuts that's difficult and painful.   ;)

Shinnlinger,  my apologies for the hijack.  Betting these were the bee's knees before power tools.  But now they can't hold a candle to a brush saw.  Maybe for vines, but like Kbeitz said about the machete, I'd rather have a kukri (keep one on the 4 wheeler at all times for checking fence).  

On the flip side, I may eventually make a longer handle for mine and try it as long as I'm still able to actually swing it.   ;)

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 04:12:46 PM »
The goats kept new growth down until they died.

I thought you were saying your goats died....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »
Our place was overrun with multiflora too. Counting rings on that and poison ivy we figured it had been let go for about 15 years. Some of the roses were over 20' around and up in the 10' range. I tilted the bishhog up as close to vertical as the pto would let it and backed into them high and then came down. They would still reach clear around the tractor and hug me every now and then but we finally got the majority of them mowed out... they are always waiting though.

Offline moresnow

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
Survey crew nightmare's with this tool. Miles of cutting line. Overhead/downward swing to limb standing tree's etc. I shudder thinking of the sweat dripping in my eye's as we fought through the super humid, skeeter/tick infested timber.
  That tool only had one positive effect. After work brew never tasted as good!

Needless to say when I started my own company I selected a tool that you pull a rope and squeeze the trigger. Much more effective :D
Brush axe was no longer part of my rig. Haaaaa!
You won't find me on Spacebook. Haaaaaa!

Stihl 441, 009. And a well used Poulan 5020. My firewood gets used in a BK Scirocco 20 Cat stove

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
 I tried one of them on a multiflora rose bush (we have a different name for them but I better not say it here  ;D) one time just borrowing it to try it out. I went right back to my little Stihl fs90 with the brush blade  ;)
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline JJ

• Gotta figure this out
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
I prefer a good pair of bypass loppers in with saplings and brush.
Doesn't wear you out.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
I do it all with a tophandle. 

Online petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
I spray with 5 percent roundup and push out with my tractor after a couple of yrs.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
Had one in the field truck when I was surveying day to day.  Dandy tool but it will wear you out.

Machete or a Woodsman pal, loppers and rose shears were the ticket for traversing lightly
and brushing sight lines. 

D

Offline enigmaT120

• Share Post
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 06:39:38 PM »
I have a Swedish brush ax, much lighter than the OP's version.  It works well for stuff like vine maple but as others have pointed out, you have to slash diagonally and leave little pongee sticks. My Stihl brush saw is better for that stuff.  For the roses, that sounds like my problem with big brier patches, and I like to use my scythe with a brush blade on it.  I cut the vines, put the scythe down, reach in and grab the base of the briers and drag them out to some where I can pile them.  
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Online moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
How to use a brush axe? Very carefully.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A little brush...

Started by Tillaway on General Board

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2005, 03:18:18 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
brush saw

Started by trapper on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2018, 04:37:47 AM
by thecfarm