iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill

Started by jpatena, March 28, 2018, 07:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpatena

Hello freinds ,I am newly retired moving up north and want to buy sawmill. Am torn between norwood M29  woodmills HM 130 SMG 13S!Any suggestions?

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum and the saw dust addiction....

Have you been to a dealer, fair/machinery show or have you spent some time using a friend's sawmill?  It is important to spend some time hands-on before buying.  YouTube and manufacturer sites can give much useful info.  Those just don't compare to personal examination/operation of the machines you are looking at.  That way you can compare.  All sawmills are a combination of features and compromises.  Seeing them in person helps you know the combination that works for you.

If you let us know where you are located or where you are relocating to, there is likely someone here who would let you come take a look at their sawmill.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

petefrom bearswamp

You will find as many opinions on here as there are mills.
All have their pluses and minuses.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jpatena!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

jpatena,welcome to the forum.
Good for you,move up North,get away from them grits!!!
Listen to SawyerTed. A show is a good way to see mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

staker

The SMG 13 has a 36 inch max log diameter. I talked to a few people that own them and they really like them.

Skipper11A

Welcome to the best forum on the web.  You're going to learn a lot here.  They may not have grits up north, but they don't have chicken fried steak either so that would be a deal killer for me.

thecfarm

At least you don't have to mix chicken fried steak with something to make it taste good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

You all are really jumpin to conclusions. The way I got it figured, jpatena is in Los Angels and is planin to move to Oregon and we do have chicken fried steak here but grits are hard to find. 

Anyway jpatena welcome to the Forestry Forum!  The mills you are looking at  know very little about but have never heard anything bad about them with one exception and I think that complaint said more about the person than it did the mill. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

jpatena

Hello guys thank for the welcome when i said moving up north ,meant am actually from montreal moving in the laurentian,s .in a wk wiil try a smg s13 sawmill .this is for hobby use only .Hopefully will get to see a norwood m29 and woodmills also so i can compare.

GAB

jpatena:
Come on down to the Award-Winning Loggers' Expo which will be held on May 11 & 12, 2018 in Essex Junction, Vermont.
If you go to Home - Northeastern Loggers' Association you can apply for a free ticket or tickets (bring some friends) and there will be some 
sawmill manufacturers and representatives with some toys for you to look at, drool over, pine and ask questions.  There will 
be many millions of $'s worth of equipment to see, some of it being demonstrated.
I do not know if the sawmills you are interested in will be there however.
If you are looking for grits I can't help you.  Last time I needed some I called Mississippi for a shipment which I received and delivered.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

shortaction

I was looking at the SMG mills, but then got onto the Pascal Metals mills.  My dealer sells both but seemed like you got a fair bit more for the $ with the Pascal Metals mill.  I ended up buying the Little Blue model and have been quite happy with it.  

fishfighter

Quote from: jpatena on April 01, 2018, 09:29:54 AM
Hello guys thank for the welcome when i said moving up north ,meant am actually from montreal moving in the laurentian,s .in a wk wiil try a smg s13 sawmill .this is for hobby use only .Hopefully will get to see a norwood m29 and woodmills also so i can compare.

Welcome aboard.

As far as a hobby mill, they are a lot of manual work. Hope you have some equipment to help you move logs/lumber around. I have a Woodland 126 for over 3 years and I am very happy with it. ;D

mrtwister

Quote from: shortaction on April 01, 2018, 09:43:04 PM

I was looking at the SMG mills, but then got onto the Pascal Metals mills.  My dealer sells both but seemed like you got a fair bit more for the $ with the Pascal Metals mill.  I ended up buying the Little Blue model and have been quite happy with it.  
Hi Shortaction....how are things in Gore Bay?....I'm a few miles East of you in St-Charles.....just curious how things are working out with the Pascal mill.....what's your take on the pros and cons?....I realize you may not have had too much time to assess it's full capabilities yet but you may have some insight on the overall performance, quality, cutting/sawing results etc...I may be upgrading soon and have been eyeballing these mills....they seem well put together with solid components but there is not much feedback about them on the Web compared to the other available brands. You mentioned a "dealer" that sells them.....is there a dealership in your area?.....thanks in advance for sharing any info you have!!...take care....Twister.
Norwood ML 26 Mill, Log Arch, Kioti DS4510HS Tractor with Grapple, Chainsaws: Dolmar 510, Husqvarna t435 arborist chainsaw, T-Rex walking beam trailer, CF Moto U-Force 500 UTV.

Thank You Sponsors!