iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chipmonks taking corn seed

Started by moodnacreek, April 05, 2018, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Hope I can ask this here.  Last year I planted sweet corn in the garden 5 times.  Chipmonks  tunnel under the bird netting and take the seed to their burrow.  I have shot many but there are too many and I have work the sawmill. Have set bucket traps w/ peanut butter and sunflower seed , made bait piles with other corn, soaked seed in turpentine, made paste w/ red pepper and veg. oil and so on. You can not burn their mouth and not poison them as they are hoarding not eating the corn. They will tunnel in the hills deeper than the seed is planted until they find it. They have even chewed through the netting that used to work until last year.  Years ago we coated corn in a black tar that smelled like creosote so the crows would not dig it. Can't find  that stuff today.

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

DelawhereJoe

51cub

DanG, Delawhere, put a warning up woodya! That took 4 years off me! smiley_flipping
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store. We sell grain. We have critters. Mouse and rats are kinda easy to control. The only thing that controls the chipmucks is a five gallon bucket about half full of water,enough black oil sunflower seeds on the top of the water to make it all black and to trick the chimpmucks into thinking it's full. A board wide enough for them to walk up to the top,just lean it up against the bucket,some black oil sunflowers seeds on the board and you have a trap. They will jump in and can't get out. Had a guy come into the store had them in his attic. Told him what to do,in a few hours he came back all smiles,it worked. Some will drown,but have seen some swim round and round in there too. We all lost count how many we caught,40?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moodnacreek

D. Joe, Wish I had some black rat snakes here.                                                                                                              The farm, the pail traps with sun flower seed and other baits take very few, thanks, Doug

DelawhereJoe

How many do you want, I was helping a friend with some storm cleanup and found that guy napping in one of his sheds. Yesterday it was only 49° for the high but Wednesday it touched 80°, so it wasn't moving very quickly. He has plenty of black snakes more then he needs, his wife would like to burn the county down to get rid of all the snakes. So she will be more then happy to donate them to your cause.

moodnacreek

D. Joe, probably a felony to bring em up here

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!