iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 170 winch

Started by just farming, April 09, 2018, 09:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just farming

It's been a long interesting road but I've finally got my old machine running. It's been a long process but not a terrible task. Engine swap could have been worse but when I hit the starter button the old 453 comes to life. Amazingly everything seems to work. A few minor issues to work through.
Tested the winch this afternoon and after I got the air worked out of it, it seemed to somewhat work. When in the free spool position it still holds tension on the cable and tries to spool it back in.  I can stand on the cable and it will unspool enough to touch the ground. When I step off of it it spools back in. The drive line for the winch was missing when I got the machine and the winch doesn't appear to have been used in quite a while. 
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. 
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Mack Superliner RW613 Dump
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4
Deutz-Fahr Agroplus 87 4X4

Ed_K

The clutch bands are to tight. Also check if there's an adjustment for the brake band, mine has a allen set screw that go's thru the main casting and pushes down on the top of the brake band.
Ed K

just farming

Thanks for the info. It does indeed have adjustment for the brake band. I checked this afternoon and I can grip the ends of the brake band with my hand and stop it from spinning in the free spool position. How and where do you adjust the clutch bands?
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4

starmac

I have no way of knowing where you are located, but if in a high humidity area and it has not been used in a long while, is it possible that it has some fine rust and just needs slicking up. Have you spooled it out and winched it back in a few times?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ed_K

My comment is from the problems I've had with my gearamatic winch. Reading back on your request I don't know what type of winch you have on your franklin. We need more info.
Ed K

just farming

Its a Franklin 32 winch. I pulled the cable out(with a tractor) and winched it back in with no load. Pulled it out again and hooked it to the pintle hook on my dump truck. The cable broke just as the truck started sliding. I haven't replaced the cable yet but I was planning to cycle it several times after replacing the cable to see if it would loosen up.  
The machine came from the eastern part of Virginia. High humidity on top of the machine not being ran for about 5 years. With the drive line missing it has probably been several year since it was used.
The machine is butt ugly but everything seems to work. I was very surprised how smooth the powershift works. The park brake is my next item on the list to get fixed.  
Cat 311
JD 550G
ASV RC50
Kubota M9000 4X4
Kubota L3430 4X4

Thank You Sponsors!