iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hair today, gone tomorrow

Started by longtime lurker, April 10, 2018, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Sap... resin... kino (lot of mine has kino)... all pretty much the same thing.

How do you get rid of it? Machine also but mostly on yourself... as we all know everything gets coated in the stuff at times.

Me, I usually use diesel to lift the sap. Then degreaser to lift the diesel. Then soap or handwash to get rid of the degreaser. Seems to work as well as anything I've ever run across and i mostly go home basicly clean most nights: cept for the black stains in my calluses that only seem to disappear if I'm on holiday for a week.

Normally if I got something that works ok I dont really bother trying anything new and improved. But ummm... (yeah guys lets laugh at this one)... I normally saw with a cap on and today I didn't. 

Unless one of you guys has a better answer its either diesel for shampoo or bald tomorrow.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sawmill Man

Yep WD-40 is the absolute best I have found.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep WD-40 for pine sap, Baby oil works well too.

What is Kino? google seems to think it has something to do with the theater.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Weekend_Sawyer

Not much of an article but it got the point across.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah, it redirected me to here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kino_(gum)

Now I understand, it's the sap that oozes from a tree like the eucalyptus.

longtime lurker

It's laid down by the tree as an injury response. After fire you get a thin belt of it maybe 1/8 thick which is okay to saw through.  But there's a couple species of cicada and the mahogany glider that live on it... because they feed repeatedly in the same place as the tree grows you get pockets of kino: anything from an inch to four inches long and often inches deep, full of "gum" with a consistancy of molasses in fresh logs. Plow through them with a circular saw and it's messy.

And then it sets. I think I'll be Kojack after work today.  It's not washing out

crowhill

PEANUT BUTTER! Doesn't take much, a little rough if you use chunky! Rub it onto your hands, wipe off with papertowel, and wash with usual soap. Wahlaw, pitch gone.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

climber2

Nail polish remover.
I'm not a huge fan of using petroleum products or chemical application but this will work if in need of immediate relief
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Chuck White

I've heard some of my customers say MAYONNASE works the best they've seen!

Use it just like GOJO!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

alan gage

I heard feathers work real good. Just rub them in and you're good to go. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

PAmizerman

This product seems to work good for me.
And you're hands don't reak of chemicals or diesel from it. 
Do not wet your hands first though. Use it on dry hands and it works wonders. Way better than gojo.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Percy

If you are takin a poll, Longtime, l say do the Kojak. It grows back and for summer it's much cooler.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Don P

For hands a mechanic clued me in years ago, rub hand lotion on before work so your skin isn't so thirsty. I've forgotten to wear a cap when sawing pine on the circle mill, yup that's a good way to have big hair :D

florida

As I understand it the main ingredient in WD-40 is kerosene so straight kerosne should work well. Anything with cooking oil like mayonaise will also work but slower. Turpentine will remove sap as well. It's much safer using less volatile solvents as the higher you go in volitility  the more dangerous it is to your body. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Darrel

Be Kojack,  copious quantities of that stuff is difficult to get out of hair no matter what you use. You may have a cold head with winter just around the corner though. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!