iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apologies

Started by Jeff, April 10, 2018, 11:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

When we upgraded the forum software this spring, an unintended permission was given to "announce a topic" In the sponsor news area. Just a click on an option resulted in the forum sending a mass email. I apologize for this oversight, that I didn't even know existed.

The permissions for this function has been changed and no more unintended emails from the Forestry Forum will be sent.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

And this is the sort of thing that results when an email is sent you don't know about:

QuoteI have retired and want to stop receiving emails. Your most recent email broadcast did not have an unsubscribe link (which I think is illegal by the way) so I am forced to contact you this way.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up. So if I have not received a message yet I should not expect one. If this is the worst thing that will happen to me today it has been a good day.

Remember the old saying "Eat a worm first thing every day and probably nothing worse will happen to you all day." ;D

Thanks for taking care of us.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Papa1stuff

I received one ,but no problem ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

wesdor

Received it today but wasn't bothered.  Delete is made for emails I don't find interesting.  

No problem on my part, but thanks for the explanation.

Ljohnsaw

Was wondering about it but not worried
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

r.man

I didn't get one so now I feel unloved. Is it because I'm Canadian, you can tell me, the worst I will do is apologise.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

All is well it was in spam. Actually I thought it was a well written email, my congratulations to Baker for having access to someone who can get me to read a sales pitch to the end.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

shaneh

Not a problem Jeff. Enjoyed the read. Thanks Shaneh

Ed_K

I retrieved mine from the spam box, when I read it figured it to be an add and let it go no problem here.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Mine showed up this mornng so maybe I am not as unloved as I first thought. It was in Spam so I just deleted it there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

So I get an email this morning from someone that joined the forum years ago that visits but doesn't post very often. They wanted to know why I was giving emails out.
SO  just to be clear,  No emails were given to anyone.  This is what happened.  

Somewhere along the line, and I am guessing it was when we migrated to the new server and the forum software was upgraded, a permission was added for board moderators. When you create a topic, there is a link for additional options beneath the post box where you can select different things like notifications and such. There was an added option there for board moderators that said "Announce Topic". If that was ticked, as it turns out, it sends the topic by email to the entire forestry forum membership via the forestry forum server when you post the topic.  I highly doubt the topic poster even knew what it was when they ticked it because I didn't even know.  So, in short, no email addresses were given out to anyone.

John Mc

Good to hear. I was a little worried that this was the start of a new "thing" on FF.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Nope.  I wouldn't like that so I KNOW you guys wouldn't. :)

Percy

While technology is amazing and so useful for a mirad of applications, it has gotten me into trouble on several occasions as well and has annoyed me with auto correct and the "bots" getting my contact  list.  Was not popular for quite a while with alot of friends....GRRRRRRRR
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!