The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Sawmill at Auction  (Read 462 times)

Offline reswire

• Share Post
Sawmill at Auction
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
I was at an auction in Southern Maryland Saturday, when my son and I stumbled upon a Norwood LM26 mounted to a home made trailer.  It had a dozen or so blades with it, and the mill head was a little "banged up".  It was nothing too bad, but the track had also been slightly bent, probably due to a log being rolled on a little too roughly.  It had the manual toe boards, a loading wench on the side, but not too much else with it.  The homebuilt trailer looked okay, but not a real professional job.
  When the auctioneer came up to the mill, he tried to start the bidding at 20k,,, a little to pricey for a Norwood of that size!  Eventually the starting price went down to 2k, then 3k, then 4k, then 5k, and finally ended at $5600.00 dollars.  I though I would share this with everyone, just in case they are looking for a used mill.  Manual mills tend to keep their value, and this one was no exception.  The number of people interested in the mill surprised me, and the price seemed high, considering the condition of the mill.  
LT 40HDG 35, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 3 Chessies and a Weiner dog...

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
Re: Sawmill at Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »
If it has wheels and can be towed with a pick up truck, it sells.  Stationary saw mill equipment is hard to sell.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »
Manual mills tend to keep their value, and this one was no exception.  
    Is this meant to imply hydraulic mills do not hold their value as well too? ??? I am under the impression any reputable sawmill that is properly maintained will hold its value very well.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline reswire

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
It's true that mostly all mills hold their value well, but when you're at an auction, people are usually looking for a "deal".  There isn't an opportunity to hear the motor run, or watch it work.  Manual mills are usually cheaper to buy, meaning less out of pocket money for the buyer, therefore opening a much larger audience to purchase.
LT 40HDG 35, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 3 Chessies and a Weiner dog...

Offline reswire

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »
As a matter of record, I've owned three mills.  Two I actually made money off of using, then selling them.  One was a TK 1600, the other was a fabricated chainsaw mill.  My current mill cost me 28k new, and after four years of use, was offered 25k from a customer of mine.  After writing it off of my taxes (depreciation), and using it to make money and build my own projects, I think it has been an excellent investment as well.  Either way, people seem to enjoy milling their own wood, and I hope it's a trend that will last for a while.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
SAWMILL AUCTION

Started by inspectorwoody on Shows, Events and Places to meet

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 10:28:51 PM
by inspectorwoody
exclamation
Sawmill Auction

Started by rbarshaw on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2005, 09:09:11 PM
by rbarshaw