iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 3305 winch - band release cylinder

Started by dsroten, April 21, 2018, 07:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsroten

The band release cylinder in my 540a is leaking pretty bad.  Is this something that I can rebuild easily or is am I better off replacing it.  JD lists the part for about $400, or I can get one from http://www.j-kequipment.com/winch_parts.html that is listed as rebuilt for $275. I'm wondering if I can rebuild it without special tools or if the seals are hard to find.  

teakwood

I have the same 540A, it's pretty easy to reseal them. if i remember correctly you just need a oring. a 2$ fix at most. just make sure no part is cracked or worn badly
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

dsroten

Perfect.  Thanks for the heads up.  Hopefully I can save some dough and get rolling again at the same time

KyLogger

Yeah, it's a piece of cake to fix it. Hardest part is adjusting it with that davhone spring in the way.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

dsroten

So I finally got the cylinder off the winch and got tore down today.  Man those springs are a pain in the rear.  Hopefully they go back on   ;)  Does anybody know if the seal inside the cylinder is just a regular old o-ring, or some kind of specific seal.  There wasnt much left of mine to tell by.  I dont want to have to go to the trouble of taking it apart again any time soon if I can help it.  

dsroten

Answered my own question.  The parts breakdown on JD-parts.com is wonderful.  It is a different seal, big ole fat thing.  Picked one up one eBay for $10.  Maybe that's to much, but I know its the right part, and it saves me a 45 minute drive to my JD dealer.  The part number is AT71341, if anybody needs it.  

East ky logging

Thanks for the information I bought one from John Deere several years ago and I don't remember what I paid for it but I remember it was way too much for a o-ring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!