iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First post

Started by DonT, April 18, 2002, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Hi, everyone I just recently joined and thought I would introduce myself.I am by no means a proffessional logger as many other members appear to be but,I own 300acres of mixed bush that I am attempting to manage with my Father. I cut mostly firewood and cedar posts. Don

Bibbyman

Hi Don'T

Welcome,  Your farm sounds like my farm but we've only got 215 acres of brush we are trying to improve on.

What part of the country is your farm?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Hey Don,
Welcome to the forum.  Glad you're joining in.  300 acres.  Wow!  That should classify you for something. Where you from?  Maybe you have some good picture opportnities there.  I hope so.  We like pictures.  They keep us from having to read so much :D

woodman

Welcome Don but watch out for Bibbyman he   onley gives good advice Miss M dose most of the cutting from talk around town.

ps.  we never here from Mary shes cutting wood.  :) ;) ;) 8)
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

Welcome to the Forum DonT! You'll find there are a lot of fine, knowledgable, friendly and humerous people here. You'll find that only the truth is spoken here........ ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tillaway

Hi Don,
Watch out for Budman, hes only here for the beer. ;) ;D  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bud Man

Welcome aboard DonT, 300 acres ought to keep a feller pretty busy. Folks around here get real excited bout Tree and Forestry talk. So join in and mix It up with a great bunch, lot's of diversity and knowledge and fun !  Don't believe any thing they say about me drinking beer or any other mind altering stuff, all I gotta do to get excited is step under the Canopy and I have an out of body experience ! Tell us about your acreage and farm, we'll all get high together !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

timberbeast

Welcome,  Don T.  Or kin we call you Don't? :)
Where the heck is my axe???

RavioliKid

LOL!

Don't call me...I'll call you!

:D
RavioliKid

Bibbyman

Quote  Welcome Don but watch out for Bibbyman he   onley gives good advice Miss M dose most of the cutting from talk around town.

ps.  we never here from Mary shes cutting wood.  :) ;) ;) 8)

Correction Woodman - that's Mrs. M,  not Miss M., not MS. M.  :D

Yea,  I bring her in to read some of the Forum stuff but she's too shy to contribute.  Sometimes she makes a comment that I relay for her.
Sawing since '94

DonT

Hello again,Wow what a great way to be greetedby everyone.I am located in Eastern Ontario,about 60km,south west of Ottawa.Most of the bush work I have done in the last 3 years has been clean-up from the ice storm we had in 98.Approximately 120 acres is mixed hardwoods,mostly maple and red oak.30 acres is a small wetland area ,about 20 acres of old farmfields and the rest would be white cedar.The ice-storm created all kinds of forest management problems,just re-opening all my roads and trails took over a year.I am also starting to realize that I have probably cut up some nice logs for firewood that I probably should have left in log form.As for calling me Dont I hear that a fair amount from my wife,standard response of course is "yes dear".   Don

CHARLIE

ANOTHER CANADIAN!!!  JEFF!  BETTER BEEF UP THE GUARDS ON YOUR BRIDGE!  HEY KEVIN! You got more company!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

Be sure to learn the difference between hard maple and red oak sawlogs vs. firewood. Some difference in $$$$$$$$.  :'(  

Its also a lot of work splitting those logs into firewood.
~Ron

DonT

Thanks Ron,4 years ago, I cut a large black cherry30 inches across the stump and about50 ft. high) at my parents cottage tried to give the logs away locally and could find no takers.Long story short it burnt well.I find in my area it is very difficult to sell any small quantity of logs. Don

Kevin

Welcome Don, there`s plenty of abuse here to go around.
Charlie, give up ... you`re surrounded.  :D

Ron Scott

That's true, one usually needs more than a tree or so to entice the timber buyers unless you know one of these custom mill sawyers. ;) Sometimes the only choice is firewood.

It sure hurts to see a quality 30"  diameter Black Cherry and 50 feet of tree burn though  :-[.

~Ron

woodman

Bibbyman next time i will try spell check.
Jim Cripanuk

Bibbyman

Just pullin' your leg a little woodman.  

Here is Mid-Missouri,  it's almost old south among us that have family roots going back over 100 years in this area.  Miss May, Miss Molly, Miss Mary, Miss whatevery kind of fits and is commonly heard even if they are MRS.  

Just wanted to let the new comers know that Mary is Mrs. Bibbyman and not my daughter!

8) 8)
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Well how bout we just call her Boss Warden, cause I bet she "IS THE BOSS" . She probably packs you a lunch everyday and is glad to have you out of her hair as she tends to milling, eh?  :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bibbyman

You got me Bud Man.

Mary also rolls out of bed with me when the alarm goes of at 5:00am.  While I'm in taking a shower,  she out in the kitchen cooking me up a country breakfast.  Usually it's some pork product with lots of fat and salt cooked in a cast iron skillet with two eggs over easy, toast and coffee.   Sometime it includes fried potatoes or even homemade biscuits.  ;)

She's a keeper. :-*
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Boss Warden sounds like a keeper, that's for sure  ;)     And DonT keep any more comments of firewooding 30+ " Cherry trees silent I  :'(ed all night after reading that, say It ain't so !!

Jeff

I can remember cutting 24 to 36  inch number 1 sawlogs, probably veneer quality in the early 80's into 3 1/2 by 6 cants for a pallot factory. Boss said he had no other market.  Log after log after log of defedt free Northern Red Oak. (Ron Scott, evert area, you know what kind of quality can come from there)

I too, about cryed as I cut that stuff. I could go half a day and count the knots on 2 hands. I thought what a waste of the resource then, but today, I would refuse to do it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DonT

Sorry to have kept you up,Bud Man.I have since learned of the Ontario woodlot owners association.They have a timber auction once a year for small woodlot owners who want to market small quantities of logs,burls or other forestry products.So no more horror stories from me in the near furure.DonT

Corley5

Grandpa used to tell of visiting a cousin in Wis. who proudly showed off his new hog pen.  The floor was knot free white oak 2X12s with figure.  It still made Grandpa cringe 25 yrs later.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

When I first started in sawmills, red oak was considered junk.  There was simply no market for it.  Everyone wanted maple or closed grain species.  There was no veneer market for red oak, just white oak.

One mill man told me he grudgingly cut veneer quality red oak in the '60s.  He had to pay $20/Mbf and would have left it in the woods, except for it was a state sale.  

Then came the recession in 1975, and the markets turned around.  Red oak became useful, since it was so cheap.  It later ran past those other junk woods of like maple.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!