iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar seeds question

Started by ant888nsmb2, July 04, 2018, 07:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant888nsmb2

There's 2 seven foot eastern red cedars in my relative's backyard, and was wondering if there's a way I could possibly propagate the tree (either by seed, or by cuttings). Are the seeds in those little blueish berries that grow on the tree?

Southside

You can grow them from cuttings but it isn't the easiest one to do. Those are the seeds and usually they are spread through a birds digestive system, so you need to prep them in a similar fashion.  If I remember correctly soaking them in citric acid after a hot/cold exposure is necessary.  Are there any little seedlings around the trees you could transplant to make it easier?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ant888nsmb2

Sadly there's no seedlings growing near the main trees. I have access to seeds though. I tried looking online about how to sow the seeds, but didn't find any info.

clearcut

The Woody Plant Seed manual describes  the specific treatments. Author(s): Franklin T. Bonner; Robert P. Karrfalt
Date: 2008
Source: Agric. Handbook No. 727. Washington, DC. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 1223 p.

Eastern red cedar is in the Cupressaceae and is described under Junperus virginiana.

https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_series/wo/wo_ah727.pdf

Carbon sequestered upon request.

ant888nsmb2

Thanks for that amazing pdf. That'll help me a lot!

LeeB

If you want to come to Arkansas, I'll be happy to let you dig up thousands of them.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ant888nsmb2

LOL how many are growing?

But seriously now, the according to a guide I found on the Internet, the seeds are located inside those berries.

wesdor

Thank you Clearcut,  that is a great resource!

btulloh

They are for sure .They're easy to propagate .
HM126

TKehl

Quote from: LeeB on July 05, 2018, 09:33:55 AM
If you want to come to Arkansas, I'll be happy to let you dig up thousands of them.  :D
MO is closer.  PICK ME!!!
Seriously, there are guys here that have built businesses on cutting, stacking, and burning ERC that has overgrown pastures.  Not super hard to control, but if you wait to many years without brushhogging they'll take over fields.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ant888nsmb2

I guess I got kinda lucky. I found two very small seedlings on my own lawn! I will be transplanting when the rain stops.

Thank You Sponsors!