iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening vise on pickup tailgate?

Started by John Mc, July 19, 2018, 03:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Has anyone figured out a good way to mount a stump vise or similar on a pickup tailgate? Seems as though it would make hand sharpening a bit more convenient.

It would be great if it were also easily removable, so I didn't have the thing poking around when I wasn't using it
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jack S

I'v seen vises fabricated up on the trailer hitch receiver

lxskllr

Quote from: Jack S on July 19, 2018, 03:49:54 PM
I'v seen vises fabricated up on the trailer hitch receiver
This is probably what I'd do, and use a milk crate or something to sit on. Otherwise, you could mount one to a military ammo crate, and sit on the tailgate to sharpen. Keep misc junk in the crate for storage and ballast.

Ljohnsaw

Or have it fit into a stake pocket.  Would be about the right height when standing.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Maine372

replace the panel that covers the tailgate latch mechanism with a little stouter piece of steel and mount the vice to that.

John Mc

Interesting ideas. I'm not picturing the plate that covers the tailgate latch mechanism. I'll have to go out and look at that on the morning. The other two seem pretty straightforward - though I'd probably need a real vise, rather than a stump vise modified to fit. I stump vise needs the powerhead supported, while a regular vise would have enough grip to grab the bar with the powerhead unsupported.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

If this is a work truck(appearance isn't critical), and you're handy with fabrication, you could maybe have something like a big hinge that lays flat when not in use, but can be popped up, and the stump vice Cclamped, vicegripped, or something like that to it. The problem would be stability, but there's a few ways that could be handled. That's something I'd have to sit down and ponder with the parts in front of me. Maybe try a couple ideas rough before metal gets removed. Sometimes the idea in your head doesn't reflect the reality in the field when put to practical use.

edit:
You could use a 2x4 to span the bed, and drive the spikes into that. You'd have to fix the wood in place somehow(bolt, wedge, clamp...). There's also the obvious answer of carrying a stump with you  :^D  Not the worst idea in the world, but takes up a lot of room and weight. Stumps make good improvised anvils for banging metal too, so it could serve multiple uses, and has rustic charm. I wouldn't mind a stump in the back of my truck, but every inch of room's already taken.

snowstorm

if you dont need a big vice. a piece of 1\8" steel 12x12 or so weld the bolts to that to hold the vice then rivet the plate to the inside of the tailgate

teakwood

Cut off the two spikes on the stump vise and weld a plate on with holes in it. then you can bolt it anywhere firmly and remove it easy also
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Quote from: teakwood on July 20, 2018, 09:03:51 AM
Cut off the two spikes on the stump vise and weld a plate on with holes in it. then you can bolt it anywhere firmly and remove it easy also
That's what I was thinking initially. I was wondering about combining that idea with something that drops into a stake pocket (though I need to double check the height I'd end up with). I'd want the bar hanging off to the side so I can reach it easily, but this leaves no support for the powerhead, unless I add some sort of platform (which then makes it a large thing to haul around).
My truck is in the shop right now, so I can't check. It's getting an engine oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler installed (I bought it used a couple months ago, and it did not have the tow package, so I'm adding these).

Crusarius

Build a custom rear bumper with side receivers and rear receiver so you can mount anything on receiver tubes and put it in any of the 3 locations on the rear bumper. you want to get fancy make a matching front bumper with the same setup.

Could even do nerf bars. its amazing what you can with a welder :)

HolmenTree

I carry a 12" long piece of 2"×4" in the back of my pickup. When I need to file my saw on the open tailgate I put the 2×4 under the bar nose for the saw to rest on. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

BradMarks

I would agree with the open tailgate method of HolmenTree, done that many a times.  Why make it more difficult than need be? ???

lxskllr

Quote from: BradMarks on July 20, 2018, 03:49:36 PM
I would agree with the open tailgate method of HolmenTree, done that many a times.  Why make it more difficult than need be? ???
Ditto. My tailgate has a rubber pad screwed on, and that works well enough to protect the chain against dings. Otherwise, I just grab the whole bar(with gloves), and sharpen with my other hand.

edit:
My favorite place to sharpen in my backyard. I have two rounds stacked as a table, and another round next to them for a seat. Won't last forever, but I'll try to replace them every so often. I like having a "workbench" I can chop and saw on, and it makes a comfortable sharpening station.

jwilly3879

Here's what I use. 6x6 with2x2 feet that fit in the tailgate recesses.

Al_Smith

I've got a plastic covered tailgate so I don't need a piece of lumber  to rest the bar on .Sit on a 5 gallon bucket and file away .I file ""over the top" doing a right,then left cutter and working around .I can see the angles better using that method .

HolmenTree

Quote from: jwilly3879 on July 20, 2018, 07:29:41 PM
Here's what I use. 6x6 with2x2 feet that fit in the tailgate recesses.

I really like your setup jwilly. Best I seen yet , I 'll have to make one for myself. Thanks.

HolmenTree

When my short piece of 2"×4" goes missing I use the tailgate support cables to support the bar nose, but a nuisance climbing over the trailer tongue to get to the other cable  to file the left hand cutters. 
I always file the right hand cutters first in case my file slips out of the gullet and avoiding  slicing my knuckle on a razor sharp left hand cutter if I sharpened them first. 
Happened once right to the bone right through a leather glove when I filed the left hand cutters first.

thecfarm

Holman,how right you are. Than is seem like it takes a while to heal up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on July 21, 2018, 09:27:34 PM
Holman,how right you are. Than is seem like it takes a while to heal up.
Yes they would heal slow  today, but that happened to me when I was in my late teens and I healed up quick.
But never forgot and never did it again.  :D
I remember sitting on a stump filing a rocked out chain and my partner comes roaring over to me on his 230 Timberjack  looking for another jag of wood. He yells "you've been filing that chain for 20 minutes now!"
Bam my file slips and my knuckle meets left hand cutter.
My glove was getting wet from the blood but I was able to finish up and get another load down. Even helped him choke half if it up and finish the rest of the day. ;D

MAF143

I like simple stuff.  A 2" slab of Locust I can throw in the truck when I go out cutting.  I just sank the bar in from the end so the power head sets flat on the tailgate to capture the bar and slide it over to the tailgate strap.  The slab is maybe 15 to 20 pounds or so.  Never tried it but a piece of thin foam would keep it from sliding at all.  One slot for each saw.

Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

John Mc

MAF143 - that's an interesting and simple idea.

HolmenTree

The log would get in the way of my fat hands. But near the edge would  be better . Still have to flip the saw around .
But my pickup is too full of stuff :D

HolmenTree

Full like this always You can see my 2"×4"'s under the fork to the left :)

Thank You Sponsors!