iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What heat source next?!

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 22, 2018, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I grew up with wood heat in the house. Bought my own house and used a small stove in the living room. It was ok but messy. Went to an outdoor boiler. Loved it! Burn anything always right temp inside. But my stove got old leaks and just junk. I have the firebox all built for my new one and just need to wrap it for water tank. But summer is winding down I'm supper busy and just haven't had time to work on it and I've been thinking maybe I should try something diff. So I was going to burn propan ugh $$$$ but no work at all. The owb is nice but burns a lot of wood and I'm sick of that. I'd love to have a stove in the house and still use propan. But my house is three levels and stove has to be on the mid level. Maybe a indoor boiler and send water down to bottom floor? Or maybe finish my owb but put it in my pole barn. Heat both and have the house use the water side of it? Any thoughts? Any nice simple inside wood stoves? I don't know.

hedgerow

Firewoodjoe
I am just finishing up a job for a friend that because of new home insurance company was going to have to quiet using his wood stove. His chimney and stove needed to be replaced. They hadn't used the propane furnace for years and it was a 1972 model. They never had central Ac so I installed a 96% propane furnace and a new central AC. Also installed a power vent hot water heater to vent with plastic pipe. He plans on removing the old brick chimney. I think with the size of house and hot water they should be able to get by with 1,000 to 1,500 gallons of propane for the year. They have locked in 1,500 for $1.05 a gallon for this year. I have a Garn and run it year around heat house shop and domestic water and burn 10 to 15 cord a year and as I get older getting that much wood ready is getting harder. I may go back to propane some day haven't bought propane in 10 years. I wouldn't ever have a stove inside again hate the mess. The garn is in a building in my big pole shed.  

Firewoodjoe

Yep. I have a 10 year old furnace with central air. I'm thinking 1500-2000 gallon but it's higher than 1.05 here. I got it for 1.09 last year. Just cooked with it. Now this year I've been told it's already 1.35. But yeah the mess of a indoor and the wood cutting of an outdoor sucks.

uplander

You said you had ductwork in the house. Traditional house with a basement? Is there a flue down to the basement level?
Is there access to the basement to bring solid fuel into it?

If so, I would suggest a Kuma wood furnace. Thermostatically controlled furnace. IMO they are about the best wood furnace on the market now. I heat my house in southern Indiana with a Yukon, Eagle furnace at the this time and use about 3 cords of wood a year.

If I was using a Kuma I think it would be two or a little over.

Check the Kuma out. Everyone I have seen that has them and talks of them love them.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

E Yoder

Switching to a gasification type outdoor wood boiler could cut your wood use by 1/3 to 1/2. They've really come a long ways in the last 5 years or so.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Firewoodjoe

It's a finished basement walk out. I'm not putting a stove down there. The gasifier sounds good but I'm sure that's 6-8,000. I built a boiler because I'm cheap 🤪 I'm sure I'll just got back to the owb but inside my garage. That way any lost heat I may catch and would be comfortable to fill!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Thank You Sponsors!