iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Okra

Started by Magicman, July 23, 2018, 09:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, Okra.  

I will eat it boiled and it does very well in Gumbo, but rolled in cornmeal and Fried is the Southern Way.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

lxskllr

Pickled okra's really good. I was gonna make it one year, but my plants weren't easily accessible, so they got too big and tough before I got to them.

WV Sawmiller

Yep, had it for dinner at Cracker Barrel last night on the way home.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

A favorite of mine, too.  I like it in vegggy soup, but fried is best to me.  Very simple to do too.  Take the fresh okra and cut in into those little slices.  Put the breading in a gallon ziplock bag, and put the okra in.  Shake vigorously.  Take out the breaded okra and put dinner sized portions in freezer bags.  Put in freezer.  When it comes time to cook it, simply take it out of the freezer and into the skillet with a bit of oil to fry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

First time I have seen it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

xlogger

Another way to cook it is sprinkle a little olive oil on them and salt them. Put on grill and cook till you get grill marks, turn over do the same and eat like potato chips. 
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Sawguy,

It is really good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yes xlogger, that is a most excellent way to cook and enjoy Okra.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

It is mandatory when you have a batch of fresh field peas and butterbeans. A corner of cornbread will make it a complete meal. I think in the UK they call it ladyfingers.

Of course ever since my wife found I prefer the corner piece of cornbread she has made it in a round pan just for spite. Now that's a mean woman! :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

@WV Sawmiller Baking Cornbread in a round Iron Skillet is not a bad thing and it does not have to be sliced like a pie or RRQS.  

Make one cut from bark to bark through the pith.  Rotate 90° and saw through, top to bottom making 8/4 one live edge slabs.  The results are 4 very nice live edged corner pieces that can go to either the burn pile or your plate.   ;D

lxskllr

I like the cast iron corn stick pans. Pretty much the whole thing is crispy and delicious  :^)

Kinscordle

Pickled or deep fried okra is definitely a must have. Goes great as a side dish as well.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I'll have to say fried is not bad at all .It's just a veggie you don't see often this side of the Mason -Dixon line .

tree-farmer

One best parts of summer is fresh fried okra. Dont care for it boiled, to slimey. Had a co-worked who used to say he ate so much boiled okra as a child, his socks would'nt stay up.  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

LeeB

I don't eat it fried anymore but I do like it cooked with tomatoes and onion, seasoned with a little Italian seasoning.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

If you steam it in a steamer basket, it will not be slimy. 

Al_Smith

With due respect I think okra is about like grits .If you are raised up on either most times you will like them,if not you may or may not .My first experience of okra was in the navy and I didn't care for it .I did however love the Cajun style food prepared by the head commissary man how hailed from Louisiana .
I'm a midwesterner  who grew up on meat and taters .

WV Sawmiller

This just proves once again Southerners will inherit the earth because we are more flexible. Yes we eat okra, ham and grits and boiled peanuts, catfish, etc but guess what? We like taters and beef and maple syrup too. 

Actually to be more specific, Cajuns will probably be the last group on Earth because the will eat garfish, turtle, nutria rats, armadillo, and just about any reasonably fresh road kill. :D
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

Stewed okra, tomato and onion, um, um, um
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

petefrom bearswamp

Okra?
Ugh.
The only thing I like slime in is my ATV tires
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I guess Glaciation takes a toll on the senses :D. 

thecfarm

I grew up eating green stuff,did not like it than,don't like it now.
Nothing a matter with garfish, turtle, nutria rats, armadillo, and just about any reasonably fresh road kill. It's meat. ;D   At least it's not green.

Thank You Sponsors!