iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shade cloth sources

Started by Smithkp, August 30, 2018, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smithkp

I need a couple rolls of shade cloth to put up some slabs for drying and other lumber. I have filled up my old boat carport and need to store wood on a 25x25 slab of concrete. Been bumping around the internet and can't find a place that sells bulk rolls in the size I need and realistically priced.

Where are you guys getting yours?

What percentage sun block is recommended for drying wood? 50%?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

mike_belben

Geotextile fabric scraps, they come in 15ft rolls.  Ask around at local contractors.  
Praise The Lord

ESFted

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, check out their mesh tarps with the 25% off coupon good on labor day.
12 ft. x 19 ft. 6 in. Mesh All Purpose/Weather Resistant Tarp
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Revival Sawmill

Not sure what a reasonable cost for the project is, but we were getting it from greenhouse megastore online for some of our nursery stuff.  It's held up for years and years now without any problems. 
Bulk Shade Cloth, 50% White | Greenhouse Megastore

tawilson

May not be what you are looking for but I got a 6'x50' roll of privacy fence on Amazon for $47. Comes with grommets. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Greyhound

UC Coatings (makers of Anchoseal) make commercial grade shade cloth.  Shade-Dri - UC Coatings  Don't know if that's more than you are looking for.

Smithkp

Yeah, I saw. They won't even post their prices so they must think highly of it. May call them after work to see.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Crusarius

right now HF has a 10X20 canopy carport thingy for $20. I was contemplating making that my drying shed.

BenTN

Quote from: Crusarius on August 30, 2018, 04:01:33 PM
right now HF has a 10X20 canopy carport thingy for $20. I was contemplating making that my drying shed.

I think you meant $120, I thought that was the deal of the day...

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The company that manufactures many different plastic fabrics including Shade-Dri is Cornelia Textiles in Cornelia, GA.  UC Coatings is the exclusive dealer of Shade-Dri.   See corneliatextiles.com.  The original fabric used for lumber was originally used for covering ginseng plants, which do not like full sun.

The best fabric for air drying has many grommets, has around 70% blockage, is woven so a tear will not get longer (no zipper effect), resists tearing, and is U-V stabilized.  The cheaper fabrics do not have all these features, so are cheaper.  I do believe in this case "you get what you pay for."
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Crusarius

Quote from: BenTN on August 30, 2018, 07:56:19 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on August 30, 2018, 04:01:33 PM

I think you meant $120, I thought that was the deal of the day...
yes 120 my #1 broke :)

Ljohnsaw

I bought some shade cloth from HD about 20 years ago to put on a 2x2 slat roof of our porch cover.  Also made a temporary 6' wide x 30' long shade cover to run the length of our back deck (west side) about the same time.  I take it down in the winter.  Both are doing quite well after all this time.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

KenBala

If I may piggy back on this inquiry.  Pictured below is my air-drying set up (red oak pictured).  Would you recommend wrapping it in shade cloth?  It most certainly gets wet along the sides during rain.  Actual sun exposure in the area is not that bad.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

With the trees and understory, you likely do not get too much air flow.  Shade-Dri would slow air flow even more, so you would have a small mold factory.  The overhang on your roof is really good, and 6" more on both edges would be a good idea.  Stacking is also really good with stickers aligned and lots of bottom clearance. You might want to see if you could find a location a little further from the trees and away from any structures like homes or offices or barns, etc. where you might have a little more natural air flow.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!