iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing Slabs with a Router

Started by DR_Buck, September 21, 2018, 11:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Today I planed a 30" wide slab using a router and a sled jig I put together.   The slab was 3" thick and had a twist in it.   I got it flattened by taking from both sides.   All together I took off about an inch of wood.    I used a 2"  wide flat bottom bowl bit to do the planing.   It worked ok but I ended up with slight ridges at each point where the router passes overlapped.   Tomorrow I will have to use the belt sander to flatten them down.

Question I have is what sort of bit should I be using and will it still require heavy sanding from a belt sander?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ljohnsaw

I'm assuming your sled ran on rails, not the slab itself.  If the router is not trued to the rails, there will be a slight ridge one way or the other from each pass.  You need to shim the router or the sled to get it in line with the rails.  I used a 3 or 3.5" flat bottom bit I got off of Grizzly.com.  My ridge was about 1/64" - just enough to see but not feel.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

PA_Walnut

I use a Magnate 2709, 3" Router bit.
Make sure you have plenty of power and go slow. Always have some ridges requiring sanding, etc. Just the nature of it.

Even on my CNC is leaves slight marks. I have a trammel gauge that I can get it within .005 the whole way across and still leaves some. I have some really big slabs flattened on a $$$ huge CNC machine and it does the same. Just the nature of it.

They readily come off with a sander. Rock on!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Don P

The Lucas with a 9" planning head, basically in that mode its just a big router sled, also leaves slight ridges, or heavier ones if we don't get it tuned in quite flat.

swampbuggy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

FLPINERAT

Quote from: PA_Walnut on September 22, 2018, 06:26:52 AM
I use a Magnate 2709, 3" Router bit.
Make sure you have plenty of power and go slow. Always have some ridges requiring sanding, etc. Just the nature of it.

Even on my CNC is leaves slight marks. I have a trammel gauge that I can get it within .005 the whole way across and still leaves some. I have some really big slabs flattened on a $$$ huge CNC machine and it does the same. Just the nature of it.

They readily come off with a sander. Rock on!  8)

Good to see somebody else talk about that..CNC.

It drives me nuts!!
Good to see somebody else talk about that..CNC.

It drives me nuts!!

Thank You Sponsors!